• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I just got a blue girl parrotlet!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvra

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
She's very cute.
As for treats, maybe little bits of millet spray would work. All of my parrots love millet. If she's just nipping from curiosity then maybe you could have a toy at hand to distract her as she starts to nibble. If she bites you, you should try to work out why she's biting and go from there. A good way of discouraging 'naughty/stubborn' biting is to put the bird down and ignore it (if it's a tame bird) obviously this isn't a good method if the bird is biting because it wants to be put down and ignored!

ginter14

Moving in
Real Name
Connor
i think it might be her nervousness from being new. cause i saw the breeder hold her and spread her wings without getting a bite.

Tay05

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kaleigh
Parrotlets are VERY nippy in general. Just consider yourself lucky if it's just nipping and not actually biting! ;)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Parrotlets are great small birds but they are just as much of a big bird. Just their size makes people think they are not like a big bird when it comes to activity, enrichment and foods. They love to eat, the can eat alot. They love to play, and forage and they need a good size cage for this. They also like to be with People.

Nipping is just part of it. Most that nip only nip within their cages. Once they are out they can be snuggly or just little cuddle bugs.

Just do some reading about pelleted foods. Blues and other mutations are said to need less of the pellets within their diets. If you feed plenty of fresh foods, even veggies chopped in a blender would be great, brown rice cooked or quinoa and cous cous are good too. Just watch the seed intake they are seed junkies if allowed to be esp sunflower seeds that are very bad for their livers. Fatty liver disease is a big killer in most smaller and larger size birds due to poor diet.

I feed mostly Bird Street Bistro as a base and add to it with Tops pellets and other dry mixes such as Goldenfeast australian blend of the Petite treat.

I also feed Egg Food that I mix in with water, juices or sprinkle over the cooked foods. My little is going to be 14 in June so I must be doing something right.

Household accidents are what kill Parrotlet with their size, other pets, windows, sitting or stepping on them so out of cage time with mine is only done in one room away from all other pets (larger birds, dogs and cats) that ensures his safety.

New_Budgie_Owner

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zorah
Ohhh....That bird is beautiful. As for as advice, sorry I am a new budgie owner of three and a half months so all I can say is enjoy your new bird! :heart: Oh here's mine! His name is Dakota. 130421_514.jpg 130421_516.jpg ONLINE DATING!!!!

Last edited:

tpoduje

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Todd
She's so adorable! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.