• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I invite your opinions, negative or otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellabird

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
I'm going to be very honest here and say that I have finally given up trying to keep my 3-yr-old blue-headed Pionus, Bella, who has on several occasions bitten my face, arm and fingers. I am aware of her body language when she should be left alone -- strutting slowly with feathers ruffled. But she bites me without warning, and I throw a fit, knock her off my arm or wherever she's standing at the time, and use a broom to shove her into her cage. So, not surprisingly, we do not trust each other. I am also angry at her because every time she has a chance, she attacks our baby TAG, who is nothing but sweet and just wants to play. I am going to work very hard to find a GOOD home for her. I hate the thought of her being mistreated, so I am hoping that one of you angels knows someone who can take her in their loving care. Bella is very quiet and most of the time just keeps to herself (doesn't play with toys). Her cage is large and full of toys, with a playtop and bamboo swing above it, so she is well provided for. I know it's too late to correct my mistakes as far as how I have treated Bella, so I am now praying that someone with more patience than me will want to give her a home. She seems to get along very well with men.

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
I'm so very sorry that it's come to this. I wish you the best of luck in finding her a wonderful forever home that can meet her needs and work with her. I completely understand and I know that it is a hard decision to make. :hug8:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I don't believe it is ever too late to change, but if you are no longer willing to try, then I agree maybe it's better she go to someone else. I hope she finds a great home.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
But she bites me without warning, and I throw a fit, knock her off my arm or wherever she's standing at the time, and use a broom to shove her into her cage.

I hate the thought of her being mistreated...
I don't know how you think that "throwing a fit, knocking her off your arm and shoving her back into her cage with broom" is not mistreatment.

What happens when your "sweet baby TAG" grows up and starts to bite or scream? What happens to your kids?

This is serious and unless you change and learn how to handle these kinds of issues in an productive adult way, your going to have problems with any bird.

How sad for the both of you.

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thank you Rose for being so honest and realizing your behavior is not beneficial for Bella. I know with diligence you will be able to find a good home for her.
I know you love your birds very much and want the best for them and I commend you for that. One thing I'd like to suggest is to start doing lots of research now to readjust your behavior pattern to become a more responsible bird parront so as your baby grey continues to grow and mature and you are faced with the same issues you will be better equipped to handle them. With most bird owners knowing how to handle the complexity of our bird(s) behavior as they mature does not come naturally. We need to learn a lot. :hug8:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
i'm sorry but i agree with ginger

I can feel your pain however, because i have a big time biter My Chhotu and trust me you don't want to be at the receiving end of an IRN's bite!!
she bites without warning but i never get angry on her, because clearly either i did something wrong or she's scared or protecting her territory!
she bites your TAG and that makes
you angry towards her, birds have feeling and emotions but they are NOT humans they don't see things as we do.
for you its a harmless "sweet baby TAG" but for her she's a competitor maybe. maybe she's jealous of her or trying to protect her territory which is only natural
so getting angry on her is no good!

i so appreciate your being so honest and accepting your faults/mistake but you can still work out if you wish but for that you'll have to change your attitude not just towards bella but parrots and their behavior issues in general

"Knocking her off your arm or where ever she's standing" that sounds really bad! :(
i've had some worst bites from chhotu where my lips were swollen for atleast a week! i couldn't even go out! its not that i'm stone or don't react, but i react to the pain (only when its unbearable and sudden) not her bite i do scold her gently but i don't dare raise my voice because i know she will be holding that against me!

I'm sorry again it didn't work out for you :( :hug8:
Hope you find a nice home for her

P.S please don't feel bad i didn't mean to be rude at all :hug8:

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you both are very afraid of each other. Why don't you contact Anna (foxersartist) at Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue of New Mexico. She has several foster families in TX that could take Bella in and work with her. Good luck.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Rose I have a suggestion for you while your finding a new home for Bella. I speak from a simulair experience as had to rehome my own Pionus years ago because he was extremely aggressive towards me. So my suggestion is to keep Bella in the cage. I felt guilty doing that but it's worse letting them out and dealing with what happens later.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I agree with Marie and do give you credit for having the courage to post on here the entire situation and how it was handled knowing that you were putting yourself out there. Even though I don't agree with the way it was handled, I do believe that you love and want what is best for your bird. You came to the right place for help. I hope that you are able to make the right decision whether it be work with her or find her a more suitable home. Good luck :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. I certainly know how hard it is to keep your cool with a biting bird. Is she fully flighted? I'm not sure if I agree that things can improve, perhaps, but it would take a major effort on your part and lots and lots of time. Rehoming might be better for her at this point. The problem is, because of the negative dynamics in play already, she might have formed a pattern which will make her go from home to home to home.

Ginger

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I agree with Marie and Miriam! Thank you for coming here and posting the whole situation and trusting us to give you good, sound advice. Just by joining here and posting about your situation that tells me that you really do love Bella and just want the best for her. How old is Bella? I am behind you in whatever you choose to do- I know that you will do what is best for Bella.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I would be willing to work with you in exploring the alternatives if you wish and will support you in any decission you make I live in Austin not to far away

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I also applaud your honesty and reaching out for help. I think, by now, you realize that the way you have handled Bella was not the right way. But, the good news is that you can learn and your relationship with Bella can change. It will take a lot of time and patience, but it can definitely happen.

You will need to go all the way back to square one with Bella. Just try sitting quietly by her cage while she's inside, then move to quietly talking to her. Then, see if she will take a favorite treat from your hand...gradually working up to actually touching her. Keep in mind, this may all take many months or even longer.

In the meantime, it is important to try and avoid bites if you can. Is she stick trained? Meaning will she step up onto a handheld perch? You can handle and move her when needed that way and avoid any bites. The really important thinig is to completely change the way you react to her bites. I know how hard it is, but you have to give absolutely zero response to the bite. Just put the bird down gently and walk away. If you need to scream, curse and jump up and down, do it away from the bird. :)

Even if you end up rehoming Bella, the lessons learned here will be of great value with your other birds. Your sweet little Grey baby will grow up and hormones will kick in and she will get "naughty" sometimes. It's just the way it is with birds...you're going to get bit at some point. The way you handle it makes all the difference in retaining a good relationship with your bird and totally ruining any trust bond that was there.

Watching and learning body language is very important. But, there will be times that you get bit and you think, "What the heck just happened?" LOL When you sit and think back on it, you will more than likely figure out why the bite occured..birds always have some reason for biting. Once you figure it out, you will have learned something more about your bird.

Good luck!!

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Forgot to add....

I also have a Blue Headed Pionus named Ozzy. He's a great bird, but he has his moods. I have learned his body language. I can approach him and I can tell by the way he looks at me if he's in one of "those moods"...LOL If I get that look, I just grab a perch and tell him to step up. Sometimes he will attack the perch for a few seconds and then step up and sometimes he will just step up, but bottom line is that I am able to move him where he needs to be and completely avoid any bites or aggression.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am sorry again, I just can't seem to say what I want to say without it sounding mean.

When did she start biting? Was there an event or a new bird? Can you pin point what happened?

Ginger

bellabird

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
Wow, I should have checked earlier -- lots of questions. Bella is about 3 yrs old, and she bit me before we got baby TAG, but I know she is jealous of her. Yes, I agree with all of you. I know the TAG will get older and I'll most likely get bitten sooner or later, but I can grab the baby TAG by the beak and kiss her and put her harness on -- stuff that I would NEVER do to Bella. I thought about just letting Bella stay in her cage, but I feel so sorry for her when she's used to getting her head rubbed for about 15-20 minutes every afternoon after dinner. I'm afraid of her now, so I just move her from cage to swing to window perch, etc. It makes me VERY nervous to let her sit on my shoulder, since she has attacked my face a couple of times. I'm in tears writing this, so I know I love Bella. I'm just afraid of her, and I so regret having lost her trust. I'll need to think about it more and make a decision, but in the meantime, thanks for all your thoughts.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope your able to work through your issues,to help benift your little Tag.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The problem is, because of the negative dynamics in play already, she might have formed a pattern which will make her go from home to home to home.

Ginger
Don't be sorry Ginger for stating an observable truth. You hit the nail right on the head on all points.

The pattern "is" established now and will be something a new owner is going to have to deal with.

I agree you are going to have to change the way you think, handle and deal with birds in general or you will be facing the same problems again when this baby CAG matures and starts to exhibit adult behavior.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
A BROOM??? I'm not going to say what I think of that but have you tried a glove? A heavy duty work glove in close reach that you could slip on and then put her in her cage.
If you are afraid of her that is an issue you would have to work on first then her issues one being I don't think you are her favorite person. Stress wise it may be to much for both of you.

southernbirds

First of all...don"t let her sit on your shoulder. If you know already what does not work, just do the basic things that will not inflame either of your "tempers". If she does not bite you, there will be no consequences for either of you. You have received excellent feedback from everyone. Talking things out can really help. Good luck to you and Bella.

Status
Not open for further replies.