• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I hope this is good enough...

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I would recommend to stay away from canned food, it has added preservatives in it, sugar etc which is bad for birds.

Fruits are fine, a few pieces a week, too much may cause yeast infections and such due to the high sugar content (that's the main problem). Make sure to remove the stones from fruits and wash well before serving.

Berries, pineapple, Apple, figs (very high sugar content, sparingly), banana, melons (cantaloupe, honey dew, water melon), kiwi, plums and many more.

As for play stands my budgies don't use them but a boing or atom from the ceiling is perfect, tie some homemade toys on it and it's a budgie haven.

For the budgie who is having difficulty to fly that could be many things, I put in some flat perches, and some easy to grip rope perches so that he wouldn't have a hard time moving, but still needed to fly short distances. I've noticed that snow is a lot more confident and finds it easier to get around.

AriqThe360th

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariq Rahman
Okay quick question, what are budgie eyes suppose to look like? I was just observing Skye regurgitating a feeding Max when I noticed that... Skye has completely black eyes with no whites and Max has whites around a pupil... is this strange or is this sort of variation common in budgies...

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie

AriqThe360th

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariq Rahman
Thanks @MommyBird , Now I know that you're just trying to help.... But I probably won't make the sprouting mix, I have to buy all those things and my mom isn't really optimistic about these amounts of dedication... (It's not like I don't want it, if it's good for my birds, I would do it! But I wouldn't be able to convince my mom)
The vegetable list was helpful though, gave me some useful info.... Also I realized that the so called 'cabbage' I was feeding them is actually iceberg lettuce:omg:
Gonna go to the grocery store tomorrow and buy some veggies. (Am planning to buy broccoli, carrots, spinach, sweet potato and dark green lettuce(gonna make sure not to get iceberg this time))
Also posted an update about the feet on the broken feet post, you can go check them out if you want to!
~Ariq

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
It's up to you how to care for your budgies and you are going to do your best, I know.
I would say though that the one thing that is best for birds is sprouts. It is better than dry seed and very quickly accepted because it is a form often found in wild foraging.
You may want to try it in the future, and you don't need ALL those things on the list. You could actually experiment with only oats or rye, and if they go a bit too long then you have some lovely greens for them.
One note on spinach, it is high in oxalates so don't feed every day.

AriqThe360th

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariq Rahman
Thanks. My birds currently are pretty young so they will(hopefully, if god allows) be with us for another 20 years or so, and my mom know's that, I just have to convince her that these birds are worth keeping and will be an avid member of our family, once she accepts that, I can pretty much get the best things I want for Max and Skye... which is... you know... awesome.
I can absolutely see why the sprouts are so good for the birds and I'm definitely gonna get them SOME time in the future, if not in the coming days.
You guys can just rest assured that all your feedback is extremely helpful and I am learning lots of things. So I once again thank everyone who commented! ;)

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Ariq, people are happy to help you because we feel advice is not falling on deaf ears.
Keep learning, and may you enjoy your new friends for a long time.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Okay quick question, what are budgie eyes suppose to look like? I was just observing Skye regurgitating a feeding Max when I noticed that... Skye has completely black eyes with no whites and Max has whites around a pupil... is this strange or is this sort of variation common in budgies...
You're seeing his eyes pinning - what parrots do when they are excited. They can dilate and constrict their pupils rapidly.
Baby budgies have dark irises so you can't really tell when their eyes are pinning. Adults develop almost white irises so it's easy to see.

Here's an old set of photos from my first budgie, Pippin.
budgieage.jpg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
What tree is the wood you used for the perches from? Your guys are very cute!

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
You got a lot of great advice! They are so cute! Welcome!

AriqThe360th

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariq Rahman
OK quick update, Max and Skye both really like carrots. I grated some into their food bowl and they started going at it like mad. Probably won't give carrots everyday tho, gonna try some cucumber tomorrow, and we'll see from there, but just letting you know that they aren't having just dry seeds.

AriqThe360th

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariq Rahman
OK another food related update, fed them Lettuce and carrots today and gave them carrots yesterday with cucumber on the side, so far they seem to be actively eating them so that's... good I guess :excited2:
Also they're poop is orange probably b/c of the carrots... Should this be worrying? Or does this not cause any harm?
~Ariq

Reactions: Jas

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Hi Ariq, that's not harmful, just dont feed carrots everyday.
Mine like broccoli and dandelion leaves most out of all vegetables, have you tried those? I don't know if you have dandelions there... They grow in the lawns here but I buy them at the store, the ones there look a lot better.

If bird toys are hard to find there, some of the best ones you can get for free are tree branches with leaves on them. Just pick safe trees. Fruit trees are always good. Budgies love to chew the leaves off. Spray the leaves off with a hose before putting them in the cage to rinse away any bugs. Mine love chewing branches - I use hibiscus and mulberry. The plastic toys on the bottom of the cage are of no use for budgies and should be removed. You will find they will like to talk to and play with a small mirror in the cage - mine loves mirrors. And they love to chew wicker - little baskets make great toys for them to chew up and shred.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Glad they are liking new foods! Orange poop is fine as long as they have had something orange, if you feed strawberries, beetroot etc their poop goes red (which scared me).

I personally wouldn't use mirrors as it can cause physiological stress, like territorial issues, or bonding issues.

AriqThe360th

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariq Rahman
Thank you @Jas and @Serin for the info, will keep it in mind....
Mine love to chew the perches they sit on as well as some of the plastic on the feeding bowls...
About the leaves on branches, they have had the wooden perches for about 2 weeks and they seem to be absolutely fine, so might use the branches of the same tree as it's still outside my house.... But one thing I'm worried about is that the branches have spines on them(which I cut of when I was making the perches), is that something to be worried about? (as long as I cut them off)
Also can I know why I can't feed carrots everyday? Don't take me the wrong way, it's not like I don't wanna listen to you, I'm just curious and* a little worried cuz' I have been feeding them everyday :nocomment:
~Ariq

Reactions: Jas

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Not sure about the spines and perches I assume they would be okay once removed.

Carrots I feed a lot but only in small amounts and I switch up with squash and sweet potato. Variation is important as too much of one thing, even if healthy isn't good.