• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a sickly Obese Parakeet. How can I make him healthy?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Those links do need updating... but some of the links still being good, it gives you a good idea! Definitely keep an eye on the stools, though! It could be from diet, stress or something else! Other than that, sounds like things are going alright!

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
You can use your regular seed blend just make sure there are no pellets in the seed mix when you go to sprout as these will go bad quickly and ruin the whole batch. What I usually do is take a Tupperware container but the seeds I'm going to sprout in there 1-2 tablespoons applecider vinegar and fill it with water let it soak for a day and a half (I found this allows the smaller seeds to sprout faster) pour them into a wire mesh strainer and rinse them put them back in the container and leave them on the counter and repeat at least 3 times a day for 3 days some times a day longer then serve and refridgerate the left overs.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Here is one more suggestion for when you get your birds settled into the new diet. It is an herb salad which is a very health and forging fun item for the birds to eat. You put the salad in a flat dish on the side of the cage also up high. I found the perfect size dish at goodwill store that fit right into another frame for a cage. It took my guys about 5 to 6 days for them to eat from the salad. They do not eat all of it but a good bit. It is called self medication as the birds pick and choose to eat what they really need. Here is the web page where you can learn and purchase high quality salad for birds. You are doing a great job with your birds. Twin Beaks® Aviary - Animal self-medication - Natural, Organic and Holistic wellness for your pets. Please be careful when you say your are forcing them to fly. If your birds are panting while flying that is not good.

john5677

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Oh man. I forgot. The other individual at my place occasionally buys a seed mix for cheap ,at some store. Usually to feed wild birds outside

So basically I can use something like this

For sprouting? Or even going to a petstore and using any brand of seeds for sprouting?

Or is it better I buy it from the recommended places linked in the 1st page?(These ones cost a lot of money, especially with tax)

If I can use these seeds already, then all that leaves is the sprouting Jar. If I shouldn't use these seeds, then Sprout People's 2lbs Seedmix+EasySprout "Jar" is my next alternative.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Actually, the corn kernels will not sprout (they are broken up anyway) and wild bird seed is high in fat so not recommended for pet birds.... it might be ok sprouted though?

I don't recommend just any kind of bird food from a pet store as most foods sold are fortified, and the extra stuff in the seeds can cause the sprouts to go bad.

You can often times go to a bulk food store or even a health food store and buy seeds for sprouting. Sometimes you might even be lucky to find some clean seeds (unfortified) from a farm store that could work for sprouting, although there may be some concern about contamination if you are buying from a bulk bin. (it will depend on how you get the food out.... scooped out? or pull a lever to release into a bag?)

If this helps.... you can buy sprouts from other sources!

If you were to buy your own seeds to create your own mix...
Sprouts by Merlie - Google Docs
Sprouting For Healthier Birds
Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Great place to buy some seeds
Nuts.com | NutsOnline | Premium Bulk & Wholesale Nuts, Dried Fruits & Gift Baskets

Last edited:

john5677

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I decided to get a "Handy Pantry" Organic Bird Seed Sprouting Mix from Amazon
Amazon.com : Organic Birdseed -5 Lbs- Bird Seed Mix for Small, Medium & Large Birds- Feed for Songbirds, Parakeets, Parrots, etc. : Pet Food : Pet Supplies

Ingredients:
Millet, Unhulled Sunflower, Unhulled Buckwheat, Wheat, Red Lentils, Blue Lentils, Adzuki Beans, Mung Beans, Canadian Brown Flax Seeds, Alfalfa, Radish, Quinoa, Sesame

And an Easy Sprout Sprouter
Easy Sprout Sprouter: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

I think this is worth it. The Handy Pantry Mix is 5lbs, so it should last me a good while.

sprite

Meeting neighbors
I don't have anything to add to your current plan, as I don't have much experience with budgies, but I just wanted to say thank you for taking such good care of your birds. You've bought tons of new things for their benefit in a short amount of time, taken them to the vet, and been really open about listening to suggestions and trying new things. For a lot of people its hard to be told to change their methods of bird keeping, and they can get defensive and resistant, but you've really been taking it all in stride. It shows you truly care about your birds. So, thanks. :hug8:

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Just don't forget to also get some grape seed extract or applecider vinegar as it helps stop bacteria growth

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'd recommend Apple Cider Vinegar or Citric Acid (powder) over GSE, personally...

John, I hope your budgies enjoy eating sprouts! If not, I hope they learn to love 'em!

john5677

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Can't believe i'm saying this but

So far so good. He's lost weight, and he seems to fly as good or almost as good as my blue parakeet(who has always been pretty healthy)

Take note that prior to this(feeding him pellets, cleaning their cage twice a day every day using paper towels or newspaper for their droppings,introducing sprouts, getting them to fly atleast 4-5 times)

- He had terrible stamina and flight. Could barely fly around my room, and after once or twice he'd get so tired he'd fall on the floor

- Had been eating dry seeds with occasional vegetables once in awhile as their main diet

all since mid 2012

For sprouting, I take one scoop of organic seeds. Leave them to soak for 8 hours in EasySprout. Then rinse, drain out the water and let it sit for 8-10 hours. Twice, before finally serving them and putting them in the fridge. Which is usually for 4-5 days. When I take them out of the fridge, i rinse them for awhile and drain out the water b4 finally serving them.

I was wondering. Which method do you guys think Is best for serving both pellets+sprouted seeds?

Method1:

- Feed seeds in morning(7-8 AM). An hour or two later feed soaked pellets.

-at 12:00-1:00 PM, take out seeds and soaked pellets. Put in dry pellets

- at 5:00, put in new sprouted seeds. Take out dry pellets

Method 2

-Feed Seeds in morning.

at 12:00-1:00, take out seeds, put in pellets(dry or soaked)

- at 5:00, take out pellets, put in Seeds.

john5677

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I was also using Milk Thistle pretty regularly, 7 days a week. Since he seems to be doing good, I've decided to cut back on putting it in their water. Now I give it to them twice a week. If that's okay.

Would like to go to the vet for a checkup, but currently don't have the funds to do so. Unless it's an emergency

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
John I like method 1 because pellets are dry. Good job with your budgie. Are you getting his weight?

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I like method 1 because your including sprouted seeds

Anna M

Meeting neighbors
Our two budgies love greens. The only ones they have left pretty much alone were some small pieces of kale. They gobble up carrot greens, when we can get organic ones, and all summer we picked dandelions, lettuces, clovers, and radish greens. We will spread them out as much as possible. Within the cage, I used clothespins on the outside to clip on combinations and individual greens, some over a perch, some so that with swinging they can reach them, and others that could only be gotten by scrambling around on the walls and roof. They will go to great lengths to reach tender greens. Glad yours is doing better. :)