• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Have a Crabby Bird Today

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Waffle was into a little play time this morning, but got nippy very quickly and bit me HARD a couple times. So back in the cage she went. After she settled down a little, I put my hand out for "Step up" and she was not moving from her perch. (mornings are usually play time and cuddles, but apparently not today)
She was just now gnawing like h-e-double hockey sticks on her cage bars which is something I've never seen before!
I'm not overly worried, as I know just like people they can get moody and she's finishing up her first molt. If she stays this way I'll go to the vet. But man, for anyone who thinks sweet little GCC's are cuddle bugs all the time, it's NOT true! (Okay, 85% of the time she is--:lol:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Even birds have their crabby days. :)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Guess what!?!
How old is Waffle?

You may not know this, but GCCs reach sexual maturity around 9-12 months. Unlike larger parrots that go through "Spring Fever," conures experience "Fall Fever" (and "Spring Fever") just not nearly as strong as some.

My conures, except Miss Bird who's too old, are going crazy! Sir Lancelot wants to fight every bird and thing in site. That's why I suspected Daytona was a female Sunday NOW and had her tested.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Daytona is an Aratinga though and had gone from the "squeaky" stage to the "clucky" stage in a matter of days after molting out to female Jenday nesting feathers.

Waffle, being a single bird in the family, probably won't get more territorial or aggressive than that. It MAY just her way of saying, "Oh yeah. I'm a woman now." even though she'll always be your baby.:heart:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Aw, thankfully my little girl is only 6 months old, so I think we have a little time! I really think she's just having a "day", but who knows?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Good! I was concerned at first! HAHA
My current GCC has been through this before, but this is Daytona's first.

Sir Lancelot even has taken to biting me and I'm considering a cage move because he's even tried to pick fights with my budgies! He's even taken to bathing 3xdaily so he can attack the bath water.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I know the time will be here eventually, but I was hoping I could have a *few* more months of sweet baby birdie time until she turns into a horrible adolescent. Ha ha!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
:hug8::hug8::hug8:for you and Waffles, even though she might not be to interested in them right now. ;)

Buddy was crabby the other day, which was cute to see, because crabby went along in a cute way with his incessant grumbling. We just steered clear of him and gave him some extra shredding paper, which he made into a nest.

By the next morning , he was feeling better...still grumbling away, though...:cool:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
She has a toy that is a big roll of paper in a plastic container that she can pull on and rip. I may hang that back up for her to take out her frustration today. :)
She only does the "conure grumble" when she's eating her dinner, and it sounds like she is swearing at us for not giving her more Nutriberries. :hehe:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Does she have pin feathers growing in?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
She only does the "conure grumble" when she's eating her dinner, and it sounds like she is swearing at us for not giving her more Nutriberries. :hehe:
Buddy does the same. :)

I'm surprised he doesn't choke on his food...grumbling and eating at the same time...;)

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Usually cuddly cheeky decided to turn vampire yesterday afternoon so I quickly put her up and ignored her pleas for forgiveness. Later when ready to get her back out she refused to come and it took a seed to get her out. Then she hurriedly got off me and went up her playstand , turned her back on me and ignored me when I talked to her. I finally got another seed and asked her to fly to me, which she did, finally forgiving me. Ahhhh, those sunflower seeds can work miracles

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ugh, crabby birdie continues! She didn't want to do step-up this morning, and while eating a red pepper threw half of it against the wall. She really doesn't want to be touched or handled, and her morning "let me out" peeps were really quiet. She also went to bed earlier than usual last night. I hope she's just tired. She is eating & playing normally, and poop is fine. Hopefully my little Diva gets back to normal soon!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Give her some space. If it is her pin feathers bugging her, sometimes a bath or misting with warm water helps them feel better.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yeah, she is definitely needing some space from Mommy and I respect that! I spritzed her with AviVera 16 oz Spray this morning. (thanks @Love My Zons !) She seemed to enjoy that. Also, I have been working closer to her cage this week because of some electrical issues in the house, and she may just be tired of me. LOL.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yeah, she is definitely needing some space from Mommy and I respect that!
Those crabby birdies!

When one of ours is crabby, first I tell them they're crabby and I tell them I'll be back in a little while...then I give them space...hey, I give them full notice of what's going on! ;)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
MOST of Lurches early days with me were crabby days but we slowly wore each other down and he chose me so it worked out. After that I just had to read him and leave him alone when he was in a pissy mood, or be real fast:hehe: