• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I had two lorikeets should I get him a new friend, his young friends passed away

Tomjames

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tomjames
I saved one when I was a kid in primary school. Nearly ran over him on my scooter.
He had a broken wing and my dad put him under and fixed his broken wing (horsevet).
This was 15ish years ago. Had him not a new friend 6 to 8 years ago. And he passed away today somehow had a broken neck on the ground. My one we saved was very sad.
His lost alot of colour is that a sign of old?
I'm sad for him as his always had a friend and now I feel his gonna be really depressed. Mum doesn't want more birds but I don't wanna leave him alone. He deserves a friend but we don't wanna be having more after his gone. Is it worth getting him an older friend or a younger and then giving the friend away when his gone?.
Not really want birds but was happy to save his life and let him live. Just fells wrong leave him alone..
Any chance rats could of got him or did he get the flu that's going around? Melbourne aus

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If the one that died had a broken neck then I think you have your answer as to how it died so I think you can rule out rats and the flu you say is going around (can you elaborate on this flu comment please, I am in Vic and have heard nothing about anything going around in Vic, there are known issues for NSW and Qld regarding mainly lorikeets)

If you do not want this bird to live alone but you do not want any more birds then I feel it is wrong to bring another bird into your home as a temporary thing as it will then be moved on so I think it is best to just move this one you have now on to a new home who already has birds in it if you feel it needs bird company- I just do not think it is fair to knowingly bring a bird into your home that you will only keep till the original bird passes as any bird you meet will have feelings, needs, fears, etc as just like your original bird they are all alive and capable of feeling.