• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I fell in love with an Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aw, congrats on the new amazon!:hug8:
I fell in love with Sammy the first time I saw her too- it's just something about amazon's that makes them very very special. I can't wait to hear more about Aly.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! She is very pretty!

Matt

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Yay and congratulations! :dancing:

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Thanks everyone, Im so happy with her. Right now she is sitting on my shoulder. She was very quiet and nervous yesterday but today I notice a big change. I opened the cage and she came right out and on me. :hug8: She is VER VERY special and I can't believe how much I love her already. I can't think of life without her. Already. :heart:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I think amazons are special they got a bad rap meaning reputation and i dont know why and because of this when one is willing to come to use we just fall in love
i know just how you feel i dont know what id do with out mango a pain in the but but love him as for noise level depends on why and can be very demanding and loud its there wy of getting what they want or telling us pay attention mango wants shower he squaks wants tv off he squakes wants me squakes
but we have a system shower time if it caries on to long
then quiet ,,lol no not punishment he loves being wet ,,loland thats when he talks
hun your going to have many yrs of happyness im so glad you have an amazon
hugsssssssssssssssss

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Thanks doll, ya I don't know why the have a bad rep. That's sad because I love Aly so much already. She's amazing. I was thinking of installing a shower perch for her. The breeder said she LOVES baths a lot. She is very special to me already. She made the funnies noise, you probably know it, grrrrrr. It was hilarious. I would do it then she would do it. :dance4: Im so happy it's not even funny. Im on cloud nine right now.

Willow

Sprinting down the street
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
Congratulations! I can't see the pic here at work but I will check when I get home! ;-)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thanks doll, ya I don't know why the have a bad rep. That's sad because I love Aly so much already. She's amazing. I was thinking of installing a shower perch for her. The breeder said she LOVES baths a lot. She is very special to me already. She made the funnies noise, you probably know it, grrrrrr. It was hilarious. I would do it then she would do it. :dance4: Im so happy it's not even funny. Im on cloud nine right now.
I know how others always mention the honeymoon period. Just don't feel bad if she does bite you. The eye pinning does not mean you will get bit either. My Amazons are opposite each other in the things some will say Amazons do. Eye pinning with Kazoo happens when he's happily eating something he loves. Hoosier will pin his eyes when he's whistling, or listening to you whisper to him and when he's happily making noise. It's NOT always with pinning eyes and you are going to get bit. Each species I believe are different but they do share similar character and behavior. So you cannot define that is when you are going to get nailed.

Puffing of the nape feathers, in some yes be careful. My Red Lored NEVER puffs his nape feathers as a display of 'watch it' but he can raise them when he does an all over body shake and fluff but that is a relax time for him.

My Mealy can raise his like a hawkhead at times. He can do this when scared or highly excited that comes along with some very loud calls.

Just pay attention to YOUR Amazon and you will figure her out and life with be fun. I have males, mine are still young. I also have two of the lesser hot Amazons as well. If Hoosier has been hormonal, it wasn't bad at all and he's now just over 3 yrs old. He will bite, sometimes give it his all......but it's always been when he doesn't want to go back in his cage. He knows it's coming so he tells me how ••••ed he is. He can also display some jealousy towards Kazoo with me and nip me.

Enjoy, they are true jewels of the bird world.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am thrilled for you, but do please be careful with her on your shoulder. Not saying she shouldn't be there, just be aware at all times.

Ginger

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was wondering how she was settling in Courtney...sounds like everything is going great.:DI'm really happy you have her.

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Congrats!!! She is sooo pretty!!

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I know how others always mention the honeymoon period. Just don't feel bad if she does bite you. The eye pinning does not mean you will get bit either. My Amazons are opposite each other in the things some will say Amazons do. Eye pinning with Kazoo happens when he's happily eating something he loves. Hoosier will pin his eyes when he's whistling, or listening to you whisper to him and when he's happily making noise. It's NOT always with pinning eyes and you are going to get bit. Each species I believe are different but they do share similar character and behavior. So you cannot define that is when you are going to get nailed.

Puffing of the nape feathers, in some yes be careful. My Red Lored NEVER puffs his nape feathers as a display of 'watch it' but he can raise them when he does an all over body shake and fluff but that is a relax time for him.

My Mealy can raise his like a hawkhead at times. He can do this when scared or highly excited that comes along with some very loud calls.

Just pay attention to YOUR Amazon and you will figure her out and life with be fun. I have males, mine are still young. I also have two of the lesser hot Amazons as well. If Hoosier has been hormonal, it wasn't bad at all and he's now just over 3 yrs old. He will bite, sometimes give it his all......but it's always been when he doesn't want to go back in his cage. He knows it's coming so he tells me how ••••ed he is. He can also display some jealousy towards Kazoo with me and nip me.

Enjoy, they are true jewels of the bird world.
Thanks a lot for all that info. Boomer went threw the honey moon phase, he was all sweet and loving then he started attacking but he's a little bugger. lol He doesn't bite now but get's into trouble.

Aly came out yesterday and screamed peek-a-boo a few times, it was really cute. She was on the stand for a bit and went on me and my mom. She LOVES her head scritched and will put her head down for them. She is one big bird, very plump. She put a ball in the hood of my sweater and she smells good, kind of sweet. I love that smell. I don't know why,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.