• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I did the bad thing to Mera today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I feel pulling the adult feather was and is less painful than pulling a blood feather

How on earth would you know this Mercedez?
I don't know how my birds feel, I'm not a bird noor am I physic. But just through experience and reactions. I have pulled broken blood feathers before and have pulled normal.adult feathers. I have never gotten a bird screaming in pain from a pulled adult feather, but I have always, every-single-time, gotten a bird screaming in pain from a broken blood feather. Just experience other than this I have no idea.

Last edited:

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I've been lucky and have never had to pull a broken blood feather in over 30years. Never had to pluck any feathers for that matter..

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
:shocked4:OK I'm getting dizzy with you answering in circles again
My post was about pulling non bleeding feathers out of a bird with no pain relief provided. You respond about leaving broken blood feathers in until they die off but you pulled non bleeding feathers out of your bird ????

OK I'll just ask this, why did you NOT provide any pain relieving measures to your baby macaw when you pulled out her feathers? :confused:
Now Im confused. I completely responded to your whole post, quote below is what your said

I can tell you that I witnessed a Macaw have a flight feather pulled because it was broken and bleeding. The bird was screaming in pain, and when the feather was quickly extracted (by a very knowledgeable person) the bird screamed even louder. So yes it IS painful to pull out their feathers.
I completely answered your post about pulling blood feathers and how tender they are. Everyone seems to believe that pulling a broken blood feathers is an acceptable OK course of action. BUT however through person experience, I feel its a very dangerous and painful thing to do. More so than pulling an adult feather.

To further answer you recent question as to WHY no medications or local anesthesia was given was because I felt it was not needed. QUESTION for all of you: Do many of you give medicine or local anesthesia for pulling broken blood feathers? What about the pain of clipping nails too short for DNA testing, or plucking those belly feathers for a DNA test? That causes a LOT of pain possibly more so than extracting a couple of flight feathers. I have personally seen an amazon parrot have his nail all cut way too short, bleed a lot and then be in pain for several days afterwards (you could tell he was in pain by how he was shifting his feet all the time and then tonguing his toes), Mera has 5 feathers pulled all together and she has not messed with her butt feathers or her left wing.

So Does anyone give pain medications for clipped nails, broken blood feathers, pulled belly feathers? I did not give pain medication because I feel that she is not in pain for longer than the moment has past and will be fine. Just like those who do not give pain meds to a bird who had its nails cut too short, broken blood feather, etc. Its seems medications such as pain killers should only be given when absolutely needed.

Just because it is done correctly doesnt mean damage cant still happen. Vets are professionals with more tools at their disposal than us (anesthesia, etc) and if THEY hesitate to pull a feather, why should we disregard those concerns? To me the risk of rendering a bird permanently disabled in its flight ability due to damaged follicles FAR outweighs any benifit from speeding up the process. Cyan pulled feathers around her vent when she went through he whole egg ordeal several years ago, and they NEVER came back. That wasnt even a result of repeated plucking, she only did it once and it ruined those follicles for good. In addition, where is the supporting data to say pulling a blood feather is any more or less damaging to the follicle when pulled? I have no proof either way, but it only seems that it would be at least equally traumatic, if not moreso on a mature feather because the folicle is not in the stage of growing a new feather. would love to see any real proof either way because that would be an interesting thing to know.

Im glad she seems to be more comfortable, but it still puts a knot in my gut thinking of doing that without any kind of pain relief before its done.
I understand where your coming from and respect your knowledge and experience. However I had to decide what was best for Mera. I have no proof if pulling a blood feather is more so pain or less so painful than pulling an adult feather. I do know from experience this is what it appears to be like, and from the fact that if you accidently pinch it during a preening session they will let you know the pain you caused them versus if you accidently pinched or pulled or plucked out a regular feather.

Last edited:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldnt pull feathers for DNA or otherwise, but there is honestly no comparison for the pain involved in pulling a chest feather (which is not attached to bone) vs a flight feather which is. There is also a BIG difference in pulling a feather in an emergency vs one that is not an emergency and could be done in a more humane manner. Just because they dont scream or flinch when these feathers are preened doesnt mean it doesnt hurt when they are ripped out of the follicle :eek:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I wouldnt pull feathers for DNA or otherwise, but there is honestly no comparison for the pain involved in pulling a chest feather (which is not attached to bone) vs a flight feather which is. There is also a BIG difference in pulling a feather in an emergency vs one that is not an emergency and could be done in a more humane manner. Just because they dont scream or flinch when these feathers are preened doesnt mean it doesnt hurt when they are ripped out of the follicle :eek:
When I decided to pull the few feathers that I did, yes, it was not an emergency. But should I wait until it is an emergency? Should I wait until her and her friend (Opa) chew them down to the skin(if you look closely in the picture I provided in my first post, it shows the flight and tail feathers being so strandy and splitting) and possibly cause a feather cyst and cause possible future problems (feather barbering, follicle issues, more crashings, injuries, etc)?. So many negative probabilities if I had decided to leave the feathers in. I have no regrets pulling the feathers. They needed to go. It has relieved her and Opa from chewing on the feathers and from her landing bad, she hasnt landed poorly since before those feathers were pulled, she isnt preening right after a landing, she isnt crashing, no possible future negative outcome of this except the very small chance that the follicle could be damaged, but I had checked them this morning and they are closed up and Im sure in less than a week from now I should see new development. She is no longer in discomfort, she is happy, healthy, retain her flight, landing better. I see nothing negative out of any of this. The only negative thing that I did was restrain her for about 10 seconds or less (it was a very quick procedure) and cause small amount of pain to the better of her health and well being. We dont bash someone for accidently clipping a blood feather, pulling a blood feather when a more safer and humane course of action would be to pinch the blood feather and coagulate it with cayenne pepper WHICH IS A PAIN RELIEVER, or from accidently or purposely clipping nails too short, for plucking feathers for DNA. I dont see why avian avenue should bash someone's belief that feather extraction of tail or flight when many here could be accused or "unintentionally" hurting their birds by clipping nails, wings, pulling feathers for whatever reason. Just because its "new" to everyone or is of different belief, doesnt make it wrong. As I have pointed out that there are other things that cause pain and harm to our birds for whatever reasons and all of those are of common practice:eek:. No one should judge especially when no intentional abuse/pain/harm was meant in either pulling broken blood feathers, nail clippings accidently/or purposely cut too short, pulled belly feathers or pulling a couple flight or tail feathers. All of these done was for the better health of our birds with probably NO pain reliever involved(!), no one should judge as Im sure most everyone has done one or the other of these.

Last edited:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay .. I can't believe I'm the one saying this, as I love a heated debate, but I think we're now beating a dead horse, staring at a bad car wreck when we know we should just keep going.

It's done, it can't be undone, and quite honestly .. with all do respect to everyone, it's beginning to turn even my cast iron stomach.

The more and more I think about it, well .. it just hurts me. I looked into the eyes of my rescue Mac this morning .. a plucker .. and tried to imagine doing what Mercedes did, and it gave me mercy pains. This thread is just making my heart hurt, on many different levels. I'm usually a hot head, but right now, I'm just overwhelmingly sad about this entire episode and what implications it has had.

I just don't think there's anything left to say anymore.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Also I think a lot of people don't realize that with tail feathers (and wing flight feathers) begin broken off like that...when the bird "lands" wrong those are "jammed" back into the folicle and that can damage the folicle and also HURT the bird to where it won't want to "land" because of pain...this wasn't a case of just 1 feather broken with others around it to "protect" it and it was becoming more of an issue as the bird broke more feathers....and YES damage can be done to the bird leaving the feathers in and it not flying "properly"...would I suggest Everyone do this? NO! But I do understand where knowing your bird (having experience with birds over a long time) you do what is best in your mind for your bird....What is good here is to LEARN from each other....and there are exceptions to "ideas" we have.....

OK, just my feeling on this because I do have Macaws and I have seen how they can land with broken tail and wing feathers when flying and know that EACH TIME, not just once in a while, they are in pain when the broken or cut feathers are hit wrong (when a bird immediately start preening or pulling at such feathers,or "flicking" its wing, there is pain involved and the bird is trying to "fix" it)......So causing some pain (if you know how to pull a feather properly by holding the skin at the base of the follicle and pitching it shut as it is pulled helps reduce the pain....this is not just grabbing the feather and YANKING IT OUT!!!) by pulling a feather rather than having the bird in pain EVERY TIME that feather(s) is hit wrong is more humane to me for the comfort of the bird...if a bird is having issues with 'broken' or 'cut' feathers, they will try to get rid of them also...and you can end up with feather shafts that are split up into the follicle from the bird trying to get rid of them....Do I say that you should pull your birds feathers when broken etc....NO!....but I don't think leaving broken feathers in a birds wing/tail and having them keep hurting themselves on the broken shafts when flying is a good thing either...I really do believe you have to determine what is best for your bird....that is what this subject is about....options....It is OK to disagree or believe...but at least talk about them so people can make decisions...and YES, call your vet and talk with him...let him tell you the pros/cons on doing it on how active your bird is and if more feathers keep breaking...
Im just going to bring up these couple of posts from Billie Faye

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Okay .. I can't believe I'm the one saying this, as I love a heated debate, but I think we're now beating a dead horse, staring at a bad car wreck when we know we should just keep going.

It's done, it can't be undone, and quite honestly .. with all do respect to everyone, it's beginning to turn even my cast iron stomach.

The more and more I think about it, well .. it just hurts me. I looked into the eyes of my rescue Mac this morning .. a plucker .. and tried to imagine doing what Mercedes did, and it gave me mercy pains. This thread is just making my heart hurt, on many different levels. I'm usually a hot head, but right now, I'm just overwhelmingly sad about this entire episode and what implications it has had.

I just don't think there's anything left to say anymore.
Im sorry if what I did to my bird affected you in any way both mentally and emotionally. But this is when you need to realize that we are on the web and everyone has there own opinion and belief. I cringe whenever I hear of people clipping their bird's nails too short and shrugging it off like nothing, I cringe when I hear its acceptable practice to pull a blood feather instead of leaving it be and coagulating it and letting it die out on its own. But I accept that these actions are what people needed to do at the time to help their birds. Sometimes you have to accept that the other person's situation is not your situation, its their's and even when your heart is crying and hurting because it goes against your beliefs, know that your not in their shoes and hopefully the person doing it loves their birds and takes care of them and cherishes them for who and what they are and tries to provide the best they possibly can do. Thats the only thing we can do sadly. I didnt post any of this to hurt anyone, just to post it because I feel its beneficial for anyone who is researching this and is in the same situation and boat I was/am in. *hugs*

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I also failed to mention this when I talked about my Vet wanting to operate for my Caique.
But the only reason he wished to pull them himself was because the feathers were clipped SO SHORT (like 1cm in length) that they did not have enough weight for gravity to allow them to molt.

I'm not calling you cruel or anything, although I do not approve of what you did. I just didn't really understand why having these broken feathers are causing more damage... like how they are damaging new ones? It didn't make sense to me.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I said there is a difference in pulling a feather in an emergency vs one that is not an emergency and could be done in a more humane manner, I meant just that. If you felt it was the right thing to do, then it certainly could have been done without subjecting her to pain. It wasnt an emergency. It was intentional to pull the feathers, not like an accident where someone over trimmed a nail.

Additionally, "Avian Avenue" isnt "bashing your belief" - A difference of opinion is just that. You put it out there, and it became a discussion. Doesnt mean people need to agree with it. Personally the only benefit I see of this thread is educating others to seek proper vet care and consider what the best course to take is without causing pain or harm.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Not to mention the title of your thread Mercedez...doesnt exactly sound like you were totally cool with what you did to begin with.

hannahbird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hannah
I thought you just had to cut their flight feathers to keep them from flying? Or was something wrong with her that made it so you had to pull them out? But Im glad she is okay!:)

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I truthfully worry that someone IS going to come across this thread and decide that this IS the right course of action without looking entirely into the thread. Especially if it's someone that's a first time bird owner and is looking for a 'fix' to their birds by flying habits or what to do if a feather breaks. It's all well and good for you to say you know what you're doing, but people that are new might just do serious and lasting harm to their bird duplicating this. And that frightens me quite a bit since a lot of people come here to look for advice.

EDIT: I checked back and the first page doesn't go into any of the debates surrounding the practice or other peoples thoughts. Especially on the consultation of a vet and pain relief that could be offered.

Last edited:

lora

Meeting neighbors
The thought of you pulling out 5 perfectly healthy flight and tail feathers from a fully conscious bird without providing anything for pain relief what so ever has been giving me the chills up the back of my neck all night long. There was no need to inflict such horrible pain to this poor little baby who depends on you to provide for her comfort, security and general sense of safety. The only thing "wrong" with her feathers was that they were broken.

I have never seen or heard anyone ever suggest to do anything of the sort. (I have not been a bird owner for 20 years but I do have basic common sense as well as empathy and compassion for most living things.) I say "most" because there are some things that I could live without like spiders or fleas or mosquitoes.

Since I am new to posting here and don't know who is who, the fact that you sounded as if you really knew about what you were talking about and what you were doing, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed that you had an extensive background in birds and know far more then I did. This, coupled with believing that most people would not intentionally do something to purposely harm an animal if it wasn't necessary.

It kept creeping back in to my mind and literally gave me the heebie jeebies so I decided to research this topic on my own online. I have Googled and Binged and have Yahooed myself across several different countries several times last night and I can't find a single article or website or rescue organization or anything else anywhere else that even comes close to suggesting that you should ever even consider pulling out ANY feather for any reason, let alone a flight or tail feather. (Unless it is a broken blood feather that is actively bleeding and will not clot on it's own and only after first trying styptic powder, flour, cayenne and direct pressure to stop the bleeding in the first place.) If the bleeding stops, there is no need to remove the feather, it will naturally molt out.

Tail and flight feathers are the largest and the most deeply rooted of all the feathers and would cause the most tortuous type of pain that I cringe just thinking about it. To find out that you did this to a baby who is still learning how to walk and move around and fly and get used to just being a bird takes it to another level to me.

You state that you did this so that she could fly better and not crash into things. If you would have just kept her safe and protected within and around her cage area until she molted the broken ones out, it would have been a much more reasonable and compassionate solution. I understand that it would have been inconvenient for you but I don't care. Someone who truly cares about the health and safety and well-being of their bird doesn't mind the inconveniences like protecting your bird from hurting themselves.

I went back and read some of your most recent posts:

5/2/11 http://forums.avianavenue.com/feath...st-9-months-old-mera-lost-flight-feather.html
After reading these posts it is clear that you did this to Mera just because you didn't want to wait for her to simply molt them out on their own. You just can't stand the thought of having to wait any longer then you have to before you get to see her with an entire set of perfect feathers. :sad11:

I would like to ask that you please reconsider your stance on yanking out ANY perfectly healthy feather out of any bird, especially one as large and deep as the flight or tail feathers and if you think it's something that really needs to be done for the bird's immediate safety. If it's not for immediate safety - please take the bird to see a vet or even two vets so you can compare their opinions and evaluate the actual necessity.

Look at your own posts that you wrote about this - it's clearly evident that you have wanted to pull these out for at least a week and you have been posting little hints that this was the direction that you were headed. You pulled out all of these feathers for nothing more than your own desire to see what she looks like once she has a complete set of unbroken feathers. To me that is unconscionable and I am in disbelief that you continue to try to pass off your actions as necessary when it is so obvious that it wasn't.

Please reconsider your actions as you continue to contemplate pulling out her remaining feathers. I agree that birds were meant to fly but they weren't meant to fly inside of a house. If you are unable or unwilling to provide a safe environment for your flighted birds please consider alternatives. You should adjust, change, remodel, reconfigure the HOUSE to conform to your birds safety - No one should ever reconfigure an ANIMAL to conform to the house!

That is just plain wrong and I could not continue to sit here and watch you try to justify your actions by continually saying that you had to do it for her safety.

No you did not!

I really hope that anyone who happens across this thread while searching for help or looking for information about this subject will take the time to read ALL of the posts so that they don't just see your original post and think that this is normal to just randomly pull out feathers for whatever reason.
And let me start off on how bad I feel! I hate doing this. Afterwards, Mera and I cuddled for an hour. I reassuring her, it'll be ok. She's fine now. But after doing such a deed, you can't just "leave them be" to get over it.

I decided to do this because several times today Mera has flown into the walls, crashed into the couch, the microwave, into the sink, etc. Yesterday she broke yet another flight feather on her left wing. So her left we had 5 broken flights, right wing just had the one broken flight.

She is now a pro at navigating our home, but without butt feathers she started to break flights.

So for her health and safety and overall well being, I did the deed. I'm not sure how she will fly now until the flights grow in. And to be frank, in a couple weeks I may do the remainder. We shall see. But tonight, I pulled two flight feathers and three red tail feathers. I hope this solves her crashings she has been having recently.

The pics of the pulled feathers

Greytfeather

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keri
Thank you, Lora. Thank you for pointing out that it was a mere eleven days from first molted feather to ... this. Wow.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I have kept fairly quiet about all this. While I do not agree with what Mercedez did, I do know that she posted it to educate and possibly get some support and feedeback, but not to be personally torn apart. Many of you stated what you thought of the procedure without the personal attacks, and I commend you for that. We all know that Mercedez is very young, but she is also very experienced --but she does have a lot to learn. She was willing to listen to the responses and respond in kind when the answers are educational etc, and many of them were terrific responses. But when the personal attacks began, I believe Mercedez tried to defend herself and became lost by being so hurt. This does not help anyone. Mercedez was no longer able to listen..but I see in the last few posts she became more coherent again and less defensive. I really value Mercedez as a member of this board and feel she has a lot to offer. I also hope that beginners would never try this sort of procedure. I hope that Mercedez learns some things from these posts and does not feel that any of us do not like her or value her as a member of Avian Avenue. It is very hard not to "attack" when you believe a bird is being harmed, very hard. Mercedez did not post to "create drama". She posted for either support or feedback. If the feedback is negative, then it should have been worded without the personal attacks. This way the negative feedback and advice will have a better chance of beiing understood and possibly acted on. As t he personal attacks accelerated, Mercedez became even more defensive and started to respond in kind. I believe this shut down any possibility of educating her. I know that I get terribly terribly upset when involved with certain posts but have learned it is a lot more effective to educate, without attacking.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Not to mention the title of your thread Mercedez...doesnt exactly sound like you were totally cool with what you did to begin with.
Any type of harm(physical, psychological, emotional, health wise, what have you) or possible negative thing associated with me, be it plucking a blood feather, clipping a nail too short, or extracting feathers or even stealing back a cookie my birds took from me, I dislike doing. I'm a pushover when it comes to my birds. This was a hard decision I had to make and I thought about it for weeks and mentioned here on this site several times too that this course of action was a possibility if certain things got worst. I hate being the "bad guy" when it comes to my or any bird. I dislike it. I dislike these tough decisions one has to make at times. Many may disagree with someone's decisions, but sometimes its hard trying to figure out which is the lesser evil at that moment in time. And although I dislike what I did (who would actually like doing such hard things) I still believe it was the better of any of the options mentioned here except feather imping which I wish I had Gra's flights still which I would have used for Mera.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You state that you did this so that she could fly better and not crash into things. If you would have just kept her safe and protected within and around her cage area until she molted the broken ones out, it would have been a much more reasonable and compassionate solution. I understand that it would have been inconvenient for you but I don't care. Someone who truly cares about the health and safety and well-being of their bird doesn't mind the inconveniences like protecting your bird from hurting themselves.
I so agree with everything lora said above. You'll never convince me you did the right thing, for baby mera.I sometimes think people get delusions of grandeur in their heads.Then do things a professional should be doing.Or come up with these half cocked ideas on what is right.Think of the darn pain you caused her for no reason at all! I hope and pray in the future you really think before doing this ever again.

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I havent posted on here because frankly it makes me sick to my stomach to think of what you did to her. I cried when I accidentally clipped one of Jaspers nails to short and he screamed in pain. I could never fathom willfully/knowingly subjecting either one of my birds to pain if wasnt an emergency. IMO there were other options that could have and should have been used. Your title says it all

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I t hink this thread should be closed...did no one read what I had to say in full...Just stop it all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.