• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I decided...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
...To start my own bird toy making business! It is something that I have been wanting to do for years but never got around to it. It is going to be very small scale and I probably won't ever get any nibblers let alone sales, but it is fun and that's what matters.

I got the website up and running today and now I just have to get some content up there. It'll still be a couple weeks before my toy parts come in the mail, though.

I was too excited to keep it secret any more! Be prepared to see some "Home Made Toy" threads up in the next few weeks!

Now if you guys are interested at all, I'd love to ask you some questions!

- Do you often buy bird toys or just toy parts? Both?
- What are you looking for when it comes to already made bird toys?
- Would you buy a toy with all natural wood [no dyes] or are you mostly drawn to colorful wooden pieces/rope?
- If there was a "Spend X amount of money and get free shipping/free toy/etc." Deal, would you be more inclined to spend that X amount of money?
- If intending to buy bird toys, do you look for home made toys, pet store manufactured toys, etc?
- Do toys made from bird-safe material catch your attention/make you want to purchase from that person more?
- And lastly.. What do you think of it so far? I'm trying to go for a "Fun/Professional" look. Any constructive critisism would be much appreciated.

www.beakbraintoys.com

TIA for anyone who answers my questions and any advice given! I am SO excited and honestly couldn't do it without you guys, my fiddy friends! :hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Congratulations on your decision to go into business. I am also self employed, you'll love it:) Here are the answers to your questions:

I buy both. I just bought some toy making parts (from Bird Nerds) and have been having fun making them too.

Safety and appropriate size. I also lean towards what I know each particular bird really likes. If it's a bird that likes bells or beads I get those, if they like shreddy stuff I want toys that they will enjoy.
- Would you buy a toy with all natural wood [no dyes] or are you mostly drawn to colorful wooden pieces/rope?
I'm a sucker for color:)
- If there was a "Spend X amount of money and get free shipping/free toy/etc." Deal, would you be more inclined to spend that X amount of money?
yes, probably
- If intending to buy bird toys, do you look for home made toys, pet store manufactured toys, etc?
The ones I like seem homemade-ish, but the most fun and colorful too.
- Do toys made from bird-safe material catch your attention/make you want to purchase from that person more? You bet!
- And lastly.. What do you think of it so far? I'm trying to go for a "Fun/Professional" look. Any constructive critisism would be much appreciated. I think it looks great.

MorningGloria

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Celeste

I buy both. I like to customize toys for my fid, but if I see something eye catching, popular or plastic that I can't make I'll definitely pick it up.

Good quality. Safe materials. Since I make my own as well, something that I couldn't easily whip up myself.

I do a little of both. Pretty much the only time I buy natural is if I'm buying bulk parts and there is a significant cost difference. One way or another they all end up being color. Archy definitely prefers it and I like the way it livens up his cage.

YES YES YES YES YES!!! I can't stress that enough! Unless a store has everything I want and a fabulous price for it I will choose the store with free shipping every time. Even if it's free shipping over $100 I will stock up and buy more than I originally would have to meet the mark. It's soo psychological, but I can't help it!

Again I do both. There are definitely some manufactured toys that have become staples that I constantly replenish as well as manufacturers that Archy really takes a liking to so I will get whatever new toy they come out with. I also like home made toys though when I'm looking for something that's a little more unique and tailored. It's especially nice because they are often made by someone that actually HAS birds so they have a better idea of likes and dislikes.

- Do toys made from bird-safe material catch your attention/make you want to purchase from that person more?

Absolutely. I also appreciate a store's attempts to educate the customer. I like size guides and extra information about safety or how the toy can be used also will make me choose one seller over another

- And lastly.. What do you think of it so far? I'm trying to go for a "Fun/Professional" look. Any constructive critisism would be much appreciated.

GREAT job so far! It does look very professional. I really don't have any criticisms here but one thing I really love is photos of the item in action rather than just the stock ones with the white/solid background. It gives you a MUCH better idea of the size and possible uses.

For example this site:
Snack Rack - Hanging Toys - My Parrot Shop - Parrot Toys and Parrot Supplies in Australia

does that a lot. I don't know how practical that is in real life (maybe that's why their prices are so ridiculous :tongue2:) But perhaps a place where customers can submit photos? Just my two cents

Anyhoo :Congratwav: and good luck!

trout

Real Name
Bobby
Both

components that I already know my birds like, such as bagels. Creative ways to use things like this catch my attention the most.

colors, my birds don't pay attention to natural colored wood

yes

I avoid large chain manufactured toys.

yes

I love the name :)

Last edited:

hsmoscout

I always just buy toys. To lazy to buy parts ans then make my own. :rofl:
Well, since Peanut likes to chew, I look for things he can chew. I make sure there's nothing that could be hazardous to him, and being colorful is always a plus!
I am definately drawn to colors as they catch my eye, but I like natural wood better with the exeption of popsicle sticks.
If what I was looking for was heavy and the shipping cost would be high I would definately get a few extra things if the eventual cost would be lower if I didn't take advantage of the deal!
I really don't have much of a preference.
Well, of course if something isn't made from bird-safe material I'm not going to buy it so I guess that would be a big yes.
- And lastly.. What do you think of it so far? I'm trying to go for a "Fun/Professional" look. Any constructive critisism would be much appreciated
It looks nice so far! I would definately include pictures of your toys being played with by a bird so people can see what they are like, especially size wise.

Last edited:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison

Both, but mostly parts.
Something unique, anything that looks like it could hold my birds interest. And also, inexpensive; If I can buy something similar somewhere else for less $, I will.
Both. I like natural branches and tree chunks (ie: Yucca, Cajeput, etc), but if they are blocks I prefer colored.
Deffinitely, especially is that X amount was under $50. I have been known to spend $100 on toys just to get free shipping though. :hehe:
Like I said above, I like something unique, so I like hand made. But it has to look professional to a point. I'm not going to buy something I could easilly make myself.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by bird safe materials, but I would definitely not buy something if it's safety was in question.
I like the website a lot, but maybe you should have a bird logo on it somewhere? Just an idea.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Just wanted to say good for you, if it's something you have been wanting to do ~ enjoy!:dance4:

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Have bookmarked page and will check back :)

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
GREAT job so far! It does look very professional. I really don't have any criticisms here but one thing I really love is photos of the item in action rather than just the stock ones with the white/solid background. It gives you a MUCH better idea of the size and possible uses.

For example this site:
Snack Rack - Hanging Toys - My Parrot Shop - Parrot Toys and Parrot Supplies in Australia

does that a lot. I don't know how practical that is in real life (maybe that's why their prices are so ridiculous ) But perhaps a place where customers can submit photos? Just my two cents
I plan on having a separate image of Koba playing with every toy so you can get a better feel of the toy size. Koba will be my toy model. :D

I also thought about having a 'customer feedback' section where they can share pictures of their birds with certain toys. Thanks!

I love the name
Thanks! It took me a few days to find a name I liked.

It looks nice so far! I would definately include pictures of your toys being played with by a bird so people can see what they are like, especially size wise.
Thanks! Will do!!

I like the website a lot, but maybe you should have a bird logo on it somewhere? Just an idea.
I wanted to keep the layout clean and neat. I am a neat freak that way. I find cluttered layouts very displeasing; so I thought I would keep the website clean and have the actual pages full of Bird and Toy photos. What do you think? Thanks for the input!

Just wanted to say good for you, if it's something you have been wanting to do ~ enjoy!
Thanks so much Kristy! I never get to go out and do things for MYSELF so I am very excited about this, even if it doesn't work out as I hope financially, I still did it!

Have bookmarked page and will check back
Yay! :hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
That's so exciting!!!:dance4::dance4:
Will we get to see pics of your toys, Nicole? :D

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Congrats and good luck on your new adventure.

MorningGloria

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Celeste
I plan on having a separate image of Koba playing with every toy so you can get a better feel of the toy size. Koba will be my toy model. :D

I also thought about having a 'customer feedback' section where they can share pictures of their birds with certain toys. Thanks!

Thanks so much Kristy! I never get to go out and do things for MYSELF so I am very excited about this, even if it doesn't work out as I hope financially, I still did it!

Yay! :hug8:
Great! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing a finished product

Yeah that's a pretty big accomplisment. You should definitely be patting yourself on the back. You have so much enthusiam and you're doing it for the right reasons so I have great faith it'll turn out well.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Do you often buy bird toys or just toy parts? Both?
I buy both but I usually don't have time to make them and I will just buy them.

My birds all like lots of wood and knots. My conures really like the tongue depressors and my cockatoos LOVE large wood toys.

For the most part if its well made I don't care but I must say, I am guilty of being attracted to colorful things. LOL as well as shiney things but thats a diff. story haha

Well, I like the if you spend either $25 or $30 most are if you spend $50 and I am always just shy of that.

I actually like buying from home made places, I found a great one, I will post the link. http://www.petsinparadisellc.com/
I like her a LOT and I have bought a lot of products for her but she really doesn't make LARGE bird toys and thats what I have a hard time finding for decent prices. Cockatoo toys are $30 + however, I can give her some 2 by 4 and she has just as much fun :)

The lady I mentioned makes all of her products bird safe and she has pictures of her own flock testing the toys out! Great idea!
Absolutely, one thing I like about the lady I mentioned before, she gives rescues discounts, and another person I buy from even puts together a little Christmas basket for rescues in the area or they will draw names out of a hat kind of thing.

My computer is acting funky right now, however, I would love to look at it later and offer contructive critisism ;)

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole

Great! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing a finished product

Yeah that's a pretty big accomplisment. You should definitely be patting yourself on the back. You have so much enthusiam and you're doing it for the right reasons so I have great faith it'll turn out well.
Thanks!!! :heart:

I buy both but I usually don't have time to make them and I will just buy them.

My birds all like lots of wood and knots. My conures really like the tongue depressors and my cockatoos LOVE large wood toys.

For the most part if its well made I don't care but I must say, I am guilty of being attracted to colorful things. LOL as well as shiney things but thats a diff. story haha

Well, I like the if you spend either $25 or $30 most are if you spend $50 and I am always just shy of that.

I actually like buying from home made places, I found a great one, I will post the link. http://www.petsinparadisellc.com/
I like her a LOT and I have bought a lot of products for her but she really doesn't make LARGE bird toys and thats what I have a hard time finding for decent prices. Cockatoo toys are $30 + however, I can give her some 2 by 4 and she has just as much fun :)

The lady I mentioned makes all of her products bird safe and she has pictures of her own flock testing the toys out! Great idea!
Absolutely, one thing I like about the lady I mentioned before, she gives rescues discounts, and another person I buy from even puts together a little Christmas basket for rescues in the area or they will draw names out of a hat kind of thing.

My computer is acting funky right now, however, I would love to look at it later and offer contructive critisism ;)

Thanks for answering my questions! :D

I am actually planning on gearing more towards the larger toys. I want to make affordable quality large bird toys. You don't see many of those around.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I buy monthly with my food orders

Various textures, I like noisy ones, medium size for them so I can switch them between all 5 birds.

I love both, mostly colored

$100

Homemade are usually expensive, although I will spend the extra for Choppers (they are fairly reasonable and always well received), since they are more pricey, I usually go for the manufactured ones.

I assume all homemade toys are birdsafe :)

Love the site, it loaded fast. I like when the toys are right at the top of the links, because that is the first thing I look for, if I am interested in purchasing, I go to look at the Info, home etc..

FYI, I usually buy toys from places I order food from only, unless its special toy parts. Only because I sneak a few toys into my food orders.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
I buy monthly with my food orders

Various textures, I like noisy ones, medium size for them so I can switch them between all 5 birds.

I love both, mostly colored

$100

Homemade are usually expensive, although I will spend the extra for Choppers (they are fairly reasonable and always well received), since they are more pricey, I usually go for the manufactured ones.

I assume all homemade toys are birdsafe :)

Love the site, it loaded fast. I like when the toys are right at the top of the links, because that is the first thing I look for, if I am interested in purchasing, I go to look at the Info, home etc..

FYI, I usually buy toys from places I order food from only, unless its special toy parts. Only because I sneak a few toys into my food orders.
Thanks for your input! I will most likely not be getting into food. The closest I would probably ever get to that is selling homemade goodies!

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Hey guys, I plan on only accepting Paypal. What do you think? Is it safe to say most people nowadays have a Paypal account?

Status
Not open for further replies.