• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I can't believe my luck! Another new adoption story

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Just wondering...with that cage sale going on, and your dad playing with that baby caique at the store...you don't think there's any chance he'd go back and buy a cage and the store's baby caique by himself, without you knowing about it...so you end up with 2 caiques instead of 1, do you?

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Just wondering...with that cage sale going on, and your dad playing with that baby caique at the store...you don't think there's any chance he'd go back and buy a cage and the store's baby caique by himself, without you knowing about it...so you end up with 2 caiques instead of 1, do you?
:rofl: lets hope he doesn't....

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Caique's love bathes...they just do it different. On the play top put a dish and he will go in. Put a wet dish towel in the cage, hang it on a perch etc and he will leaf surf there. I have used large cabage leaves with water in them and the caique duo have bathed in that as well.

They are really a lot of energy and they seem to occupy themselves and don't need a playmate all the time.

Congrats on your new bird. Best let the store know not to let your dad buy the bird there. (worried about him getting the bird also.)

Peggy

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
Thanks for the comments everyone.

As an update, I took the lil' guy in for a vet exam today. He's got a clean bill of health, and we trimmed up his beak & nails too.

The best part of the story is that the vet knows the breeder ( based off his leg band ) and gave me her website. As it turns out, my lil' birdie comes from the same breeder as the young one my dad fell in love with. :) We did remove the band for safety reasons, though.

I'm not at all worried about him getting the other bird. My girlfriend & him have gone back to the store a few times since then, and he won't even play with the lil' guy. ( he's still there...last one left....and sooo sweet. ) He doesn't want to get attached.

Plus, he'd need my help getting the cage both lifted and put into my truck. He wouldnt' spend that much on him, though....

Also, the store owner knows the whole story. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, he's not eating pellet...and he doesn't seem to mind the other birds. He's very sweet, plays rough with me but also loves neck rubs. He lets me spray him with a water bottle if I hold him upside down. :)

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Whew!!! Seeing your sweet baby girl with pet birds sure makes me feel tons better about getting our pet bird. I have 3 kids. We are also thinking a WBC. Just think they are so :rofl: and adorable. ;)

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
Our daughter loves birds! She gets super excited when she sees birds on TV or in a book.....even tries to get them to step up on her hand. They mostly seem to like her but we still don't trust them. Or her.

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
Well, Christmas morning we unveiled the caique to Dad.

It was great to see my 61 year old father open his eyes and say " really!?!?!" like a 6 year old. He was even reading the caique book during the day.

The bad thing is that the caique seems to be a little too bonded to me...even though I didn't play with him much the month I hid him, he flies over to me and lets me do whatever to him. He also talks in "caique speak" to me.

Poor dad got bit on his lip, ear, cheek, and hand throughout the day....all bled. ( His skin is thinner though, and he bleeds easy due to some medication he takes )

Despite that, dad still wants to keep the bird in his little area of the house or put at least a play stand down there....and he keeps trying. ( Dad lives in a add on house built onto mine ) The second day went better, and the caique is showing good signs of trust towards dad. In time hopefully the bird will forget all about me. :)

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Congratulations to your dad :) I'm sure once his new addition settles in, the Caique should warm up to him - heck, he'll have a full time person to love :)

They're both so lucky to have you living next door!

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Awwww that's great. Glad to hear the update! Hope he warms up to your dad more and more each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.