• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am so confused about my new U2...

Cherylcat

Moving in
Hi, Gummy. Being a U-2 mom myself I can share that disproportionately high fat anything is not good for U-2 livers and should be limited to perhaps a few slivered almond pieces, or a few unsalted sunflower seeds - treats - as part of daily diet. Your Fem Too is within healthy weight range, but these guys easily develop weight issues which can affect the liver as well. Don't know what you feed your girl but mixed seed feeds (if you use that) while great for many species, not so much for these guys - even some mixed feeds with some sort of extruded pellet can have a disproportionate ratio of seeds and it all adds up over time. When I got my rescue FID 3 years ago she was on a seed mix, and switching her over to a good pellet like Harrison's took time but she is better for it. I used to give it freely in dishes along with unlimited fresh fruit and veggies, but plentitude along with Spring raging hormones were creating problems and for the first time she recently presented us with an egg. It was on the soft shell side and that gave cause for alarm - A cockatoo may lay one egg up to a clutch of 3, and as egg laying robs their bodies of tremendous amounts of calcium, each time the likelihood of reproductive complications increase as well. I took Leilani in for reproductive observation and 10 days of Birdie foraging bootcamp at my Avian Vet practice to learn foraging behaviors because I had to concede that unlimited supplies of pellets and veggies didn't give her much else to do but eat, chew on her wood hangies, window watch from her play stand, or hang on human bodies. I can share a couple of nuggets with you from my vet: Wood chipping wooden toys are often an attempt to craft nesting material and that amps breedy urges. Ditto using humans as perches for extended periods of time - its a form of mate bonding. It can be challenging to help them redirect their velcro bird tendencies to better use of their time, but foraging is a great way to do that. If your Too discards food from a foraging toy it's probably because there is plentitude elsewhere in her cage and she knows she doesn't have to work for it. My Too is really moving along on this foraging stuff - she has to find and unwrap every pellet in order to eat it. Those pellets are a total of 30 a day - 15 prepped for foraging twice a day - sounded pretty draconian to me, but as my Vet pointed out, proper proportions were right there on the bag, who knew! Her cage grate is lined every day instead of the catch pan so dropped food doesn't become 'gone' food. The bites of buttered toast, scrambled egg (yolk fat!), cheese (most birds are lactose intolerant) along with other people food are mostly over as well. Fruits are now limited to a half grape or a bit of banana and a blueberry or two a day, and all the broccoli and green beans (the only veggies she eats) she'd like within a two hour period each day - I used to give Leilani to or three grapes a day, but gained some perspective when my Vet pointed out that one grape to a 450 gram bird was like me eating several huge bunches - its all relative. I am having to get more creative on the challenges - but I can tell you that she is a busier and more intellectually stimulated Too these days. If you are interested in learning more about foraging ideas I'll be happy to share what I've learned. While setting up daily food for foraging sounds labor intensive it's really incredibly easy - amazing what toilet paper tubes, newspaper, plastic beads, and a couple of well made, refillable foraging cages can do to keep looking for food interesting and hanging out on people less attractive ;)

gummyfoxes

Moving in
@Cherylcat My girl reportedly used to be on a seed diet but was converted to Zupreem fruit pellets recently. I have heard they arent the best, but they are the only ones she accepts for now. She does know how to do some foraging, she usually has 2-3 food stations in the house that I put some paper/beads over her food to dig through. the problem is I have to glare my (large) family into submission about not feeding her too much and i'm not sure how well that is working since I see dropped offerings I did not make all the time. Luckily my bird does not seem to like almonds or most of the fatty offerings much. She likes her pellets and a nibble of scrambled eggs once a week with some fruit or boiled cauliflower/broccoli.

I have kinda just opted for the exercise route more than the strict diet route. She loves jumping, climbing, flapping, and putting on a show so we've been training her to do all that and she loves our praise and excitement as an easy reinforcer. To be honest I kinda want to build her an obstacle course because she is getting really good at jumping! I am hoping when her wings grow in more we can work on some flight exercises too

She is at a near constant 527 grams these days

But I would still appreciated any foraging tips and maybe i can try more on that end again, i also have 3 other birds that would probably benefit from more foraging opportunities as I am quite strained to find time to do foraging stuff for all 4 birds