• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am not really sure how to handle Chico (G2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I think part of it is he is still figuring out how he fits in here but I am worried that we are going to spoil him.:D

If we put him in his cage he will play a little but for the most part he screams, even if he is on top of his cage he will stop playing and start screaming. I am trying to figure out what he needs. He loves the adding machine roll I gave him. He chews on it, he throws it, unrolls it and does pretty everything a bird can with it.

His morning routine so far is: eats mash and bountiful harvest, chews on paper and rope/bead toys. He may chew up some wood but not as interested in this since he discovered rope. This takes up his first hour and a half or so. I then let him out (or he will get very noisy, this is when I want him out so I like to beat the screaming).

Right after coming out he goes to the top of the cage where he will have a romantic interlude with a toy for a long time. If I am not on the couch when he is done with this he will play on top of the cage for a bit. When he sees me he climbs down his cage (came to us badly clipped) and climb up to my lap. I will try and scratch his head but mostly he wants to get romantic with my hand.:eek: He gives up and lets me scratch him for a bit but soon he will start playing one of his favorite games. Climb up Jasmine's cage!

I do not want him visiting Jazzy so I put him back on his cage, I put him in and shut the door once but my ears starting bleeding soon after and I decided we'd just play this game. I have to watch him because if he thinks I'm not he will go right over to Jazzy's cage and start climbing up it. He doesn't put up much fuse with me when I take him off ... but with Jenni he has learned that she doesn't like to get even a slight nip and she will call me to get him. Hmm I guess I'm the stern parent.:lol:

This is only his second week with us and already he is showing us that no other too can be out when he is out. At first I could have Goofy out when he was out but now he will attack Goofy. This I am not happy about.

Chico is out longer than anyone else and he still has a fit if we put him away. Is he testing to see what we will do or is it that he needs something different in his cage? I doubt he was out for 6 hours at the rescue but maybe. I want to do our best for Chico, I don't want to give back a spoiled brat.

He spends most of his day in the living room with me. I have tried putting him in another room when I put him in his cage just to see if this would help and no it doesn't. Our fids are doing fine with Chico, not jealous at all. I've even heard Goofy telling him "You're okay" when he is screaming in the next room trying to comfort him.:laughing12:

I just want to do the best job taking care of our guest that we can since he seems to want something different than what he is getting or is it he wants to take full advantage of the situation? Dang toos just too smart for their own good.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Chico does seem to be doing better now. He seems to be adjusting to his new surroundings well. He is less aggressive now, with us not so much with the other birds. He will play by himself but does prefer to be with us. He can still be really loud ... but he is a too!

He is starting to fit in very well. It is like he flipped a switch and decided to behave.
:lol: In fact I am in no hurry for him to go back to his home. Jenni on the other hand is a little less tolerant of the G2 duet when they are both going at it. I find this funny considering I'm the one with the migraines.:cool1: And even Jenni is getting to really love the little guy. He can be really sweet.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
sounds like he is adjusting very well and sounds like you are completely in love!!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Dang TOOZ are just too smart for their own good.

You should engrave that in a stone somewhere.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Sounds as if you have it all bagged! Hope it all works out for you all, good luck.:hug8:

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Dang TOOZ are just too smart for their own good.

You should engrave that in a stone somewhere.
Isn't that the too motto? Now Chico likes to snuggle up under my chin while I scratch his head. He makes a clicking sound with his beak, just going like a 1000 miles an hour. He is really a cutie. The hardest part is giving everyone enough attention so no feels neglected now.

Status
Not open for further replies.