• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I allllmost quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuzanqa

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zuz
Beautiful pictures...

PortaPerch, congrats on getting a new keyboard :D

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Sorry to disrupt your thread Mare, but I just viewed Dolidid's video and I have to say ( don't mean to sound like a sap ) that this video was very moving for me! These two absolutely adore each other! Her bird had this look of complete contentment while she played with him. The trust factor that this bird has for her is amazing! I was really touched! Thanks for posting :)

Sauly
I loved it also!

Mare

Hit the Road
Thanks, again, Shanlung, for the great advice. Amigo and I are best buds, I can do anything with him and have no fear of him. My son will be home for Christmas and due to the hawk situation, at this time, I've been keeping Amigo inside. When dealing with this scenario, we just avoid them being in the same room.

You suggest that I watch him like a hawk, and take notice of changes in his expressions. Since his first attack on my son, I do watch him closely and I don't like what I see! He moves into high alert mode, as soon as he hears my son's car roll into the yard. I've just always assumed that this is how it will always be. I'm so happy to think that there might be hope for us!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It's good to see Shan Lung posting again. Of all the free flyers I've read, he has my utmost respect. I hope to someday once again be reading of a love between him and another flying parrot.

Mare, his ideas and adventures may just give you some ideas on what to do about Amigo's attitude problems. I know when you start reading his stuff it can be intimidating. There is just so much!

Keep posting those threads, and please....

Photos, photos, photos!!! :D

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Shanlung ty for suport on no is no today next week next yr birds are smart and need guidence but you have to do it in a way they them selves feel it and they also have to be aloud to be themselves , id never alow a dog to bite me with out reacting letting him no this is wrong so why not a bird and time out wont do it .

I have read all I can find writen by you I envie you with your world with birds birds are wild and that should never be taken out of them they need respect and choices as we do this is what im trying to do with Mango I dont think twice about corecting him and he knows it I have used the spray bottle on him but in such a way its not a bad way as in the end its bath time and hes happy and in our way we both got some good out of it,,lol

please keep posting we need positve thinking

thanks for your wonderfull words that have been writen its the only way to learn something new to try anf if it works great if it dosent try something else , Mango got agresive when i tryed clicker training so i stopped it he wont be bribed with treats but praise works so i use that wheb\n hes on his things and i want him i ask him do you want to come it his choice but when away from his things I say come on lets go and he comes , i wont use the words step up
again you have wisdom we need please stick around

hugs doll Mango

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
For Portaperch and those who love to see Riam showering, here is another
And in days of water shortages, what better way to save water than to shower with a companion, especially of opposite sex.
We did not do behind back of my wife. We did it in front of her and anyway, who did you think took the pictures?

From
shanlung: Last time to beach for Dommie // Cats at home //3 days 2 nights at Turtle Beach Resort

Macawpower,
It was quite by chance I came back into avianavenue. A click on Tink homepage came from a link here a week ago. I followed that to enter that dialogue on leashes on leg (Please do not use leash on leg. More dangerous than free flight. In accident on free flight, birdie remain alive and maybe live with someone else. In accident with leash on leg, the birdie may just die)

And that lead me into airport and these threads here. You known while my birdies went on to homes that loved them very much, the partings had been very painful on me. To the point I do not wish for birdie anymore, hookbill in particular.

Until I settled in a place that I can call my home. Which I will be trying to find starting Jan next year, especially as we still have an Earth still intact today on 22 Dec 2012. That was in the last entry of my blog. Which you might like to see especially if you like to see photos of hornbills in a Singapore garden.
shanlung: Photos of Riamfada & Dommie// Falcons// Sieben //Jackie & hornbills

I will be going to different small towns and hamlets to stay for a few weeks to see if I like the place enough to retire there. That will start from Jan next year.
I will be moving on to Nepal, Laos and maybe even next to you.

Only when I feel I got a place that I can call home, and that my wife care to join me, then and only then will I look for a birdie companion.
In those travelling about, I might not have Internet access to get to forums such as here to chat with you all. I will try to update my Livejournal so you folks know I am still alive.

So this might well be my last note for a long long time here.

dolldid,

I really think you should refresh your knowledge of clicker training. This is one of the most important bridge to forming understanding and bonding with your creatures. You seen me using it on almost everything except on the wife. Nothing works on wife. I do not even understand my wife. If anyone knows what works on wife, please please please tell me!

For clicker training
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
if you forgotten about clicker training

Tinkerbell Legacy - VH parrot and Clicker Training Rant 06
shanlung: Tinkerbell Legacy - VH parrot and Clicker Training Rant 06 (clicker training)

Some thoughts on clicker - The initial experience with Tinkerbell
clicker-L-somethoughtsonclickera

Clicker training and bonding with Tinkerbell
clicker-L-ctbondinga

To Shanlung-Charlie and clicker training
shanlung: To Shanlung-Charlie and clicker training

Charlie and clicker training - beyond touch target //LiBai on finger and in slow motion videos —
shanlung: Charlie and clicker training - beyond touch target //LiBai on finger and in slow motion videos

Tinkerbell Legacy - - Rant 03 (a flighted parrot mentality) & Understanding the mind of your grey
shanlung: Tinkerbell Legacy - - Rant 03 (a flighted parrot mentality) & Understanding the mind of your grey
Above is probably the most important of all I have written, and the foundation to all that I have done.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I believe you did not introduce the clicker to Mango properly via conditioning the clicker.
If Mango is upset by sight of clicker, then do not show the clicker. You only need the click sound.
Do that click sound and give a treat.
Do that at random. Go read my notes above.

Mare,

I know you love Amigo very much.
You do want to leave Amigo a future. An U2 who go around chomping and chomping and cannot be looked after you go will be put down.
And since hookbills live to 60++ years or more, Amigo will likely outlive you.
So for Amigo future, you must integrate him into your family and acceptable behaviour.

That can be done AND MUST BE DONE BY YOU.
What I wrote for do not apply just for greys. That applied to ALL birdies. Even straight bills.

You must not be defeated in your mind. Amigo is an empath, and likely be reading your mind.
So the first thing is that YOU MUST BE DETERMINED IN YOUR MIND TO SHAPE AMIGO.

Unacceptable stuff must be acted on immediately by you in screams and shouts AND MENTALLY FLARING OUT AS IF IN NOVA NO NO NO!
Any incipient attack from Amigo must be stopped with flaring out mentally of anger/disappointment.
Or distract Amigo into other activities. A jujitsu redirection of attention.

None of those crazy stuff about suffering in silence which is hypocritical and can never work on empaths.
Being drama queen will not work either.

There will be hard work ahead of you.
Work that you must do and can be done.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
dolldid,

I really think you should refresh your knowledge of clicker training. This is one of the most important bridge to forming understanding and bonding with your creatures. You seen me using it on almost everything except on the wife. Nothing works on wife. I do not even understand my wife. If anyone knows what works on wife, please please please tell me!

believe you did not introduce the clicker to Mango properly via conditioning the clicker.
If Mango is upset by sight of clicker, then do not show the clicker. You only need the click sound.
Do that click sound and give a treat.
Do that at random. Go read my notes above

thank you I will go back and read all but itd sound I have problems with Mango like tv radio computer , its not airwaves

hes happy with nothing turned on , the first yr i got him he was always what i call squaking and one day I saw him attacking the tv I laughed about it but turned it off he setteled dowm right away , it was the quietest night i had ,late the next day I turned tv on to watch some thing and he started upi shut it off and again he settled as long as nothing was on he was a changed bird I tryed the radio music hed start up as soon as it came on after 3 months i had cable turned off I tryed recordings same thing happened so now I use head phones to hear what i want

never in my life have i gone out with out making sure a radio or tv was on for my animales but with Mango its dead silence he will leson to some one talk to him on the phone if he knows the voice , hes not afraid of loud noise like a bang a screach a tool running vacum washer dryer but even the clicker he turned agresive I know the clicker is a great way to train but not if it turns him in to a state thats up setting . I have used the clicker in training dogs so its not something i havent ever used

I even had it in my pocket clicking it and he came at me it wasnt pleasent and this was months later

I will go back study up on what you what you left me to and see if i cant find a way of using the clicker with him

I hope you find your home ground soon cause finding the place to retire in is not always easy as im about to move again

as the area here isnt for me

god bless you and keep you close by happy holidays hugs doll

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Shanlung, what an absolute pleasure to see you posting again..have followed your blog regu larly....

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Unacceptable stuff must be acted on immediately by you in screams and shouts AND MENTALLY FLARING OUT AS IF IN NOVA NO NO NO!
Any incipient attack from Amigo must be stopped with flaring out mentally of anger/disappointment.
Or distract Amigo into other activities. A jujitsu redirection of attention.
This wont work.

You must be utterly calm when dealing with a hormonal MALE cockatoo that thinks of himself as an equal to his mate (which is Mare) and finds men to be interlopers, which he feels he needs to protect himself, his territory and Mare, from.

With cockatoos, males in general. Its best to leave'em be when they're lashing out "uncontrollably". Have him is cage and let him calm down.

And the men in the house, the husband and son, need to be calm. Talk calmly. Dont do anything threatening.

You can definitely gain a male U2s trust and confidence. But it can be hard, especially if that male has trust issues towards men. MANY male cockatoos seem to have issues towards men. And lashing out physically and mentally and emotionally, will only make it worst.

The most important thing is to be calm. The men especially. Calm, non threatening. No yelling. No shouting. No testerone flaring encounters. Nothing threatening. And they must gain Amigos trust.

This is the ONLY way that Amigo will ever be comfortable with men. Is for Amigo to slowly gain trust in these men that are in his life. With men hating parrots, it take stime. Patience. Lots of patience. And calm energy.

Male cockatoos have huge egos. Dont all males? They think they're equal to humans. They dont understand NO. They dont understand anger and aggression, but they will react back in anger and aggression. They cant control their innate hormones and animal instincts. But humans can. And the humans in his life that he cannot stand, need to have the courage and strength to try and gain this birds trust. Being human can sometimes be hard, but sometimes the only way for change is for us to make the change. And since Amigo cant, the humans need to.

:)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Mercedez, I do agree with you on this. I think, what Shanlung advises may work fine with most transgressions.

But incidents that are directly related to instinct/hormonal issues I believe will not be stopped by scolding. Aggression is often met with a more heightened aggression.
Breeding stimuli is so strong in many species even the animal's own safety is ignored when they're defending/fighting/or wooing a mate.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Macaws and cockatoos have been known to fight to the death in the wild. Or until a predator comes upon the fighting birds! :eek:

Thats intense!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Really? I've never heard that! Is this fighting for a mate? Or protecting them?

I'd of thought serious fights to be rare, except in defense of mate/young.

PortaPerch

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Graybeard
"Macaws and cockatoos have been known to fight to the death in the wild.."

Where do you find macaws and cockatoos together in the wild? :huh: :confused:

Oh, you mean macaw vs. macaw, and cockatoo vs. cockatoo...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
"Macaws and cockatoos have been known to fight to the death in the wild.."

Where do you find macaws and cockatoos together in the wild? :huh: :confused:

Oh, you mean macaw vs. macaw, and cockatoo vs. cockatoo...
:lol:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mare, I am glad you decided to stay. Amigo is a lucky boy to have the life he does. I applaud you for bringing him in to safety when danger is around.
Shanlung, it is good to see you back my friend! I do have to agree with Mercedez though. It is best to remain calm with working with a male cockatoo in attack mode. Cockatoos are completely different entities then African Greys. Engaging in loud, aggressive manner to try and deter them is only going to enrage them. While it may take lots of hard work for Amigo to accept Mare's son it may never come to be. Amigo should be respected for that and what makes him comfortable in his world. Safety for your son and all is the utmost importance too.

Mare

Hit the Road
I do believe a bird needs to know what the word NO means. I believe in Shanlung's practices and even though I have a hormonal, male U2, I can't give up and will try suggested methods to help bond our family. My son has always tried with Amigo and has never threatened him, in any way, except to defend himself. Even after major attacks on him, my son will try and be friendly, always calm.

We are going to work on Shanlung's methods. I hope, Shanlung, that you will check in, periodically, just in case we need a tune-up!

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
mare in some way and i am not acusing your son but in some way hes in amigo s mind threatened him chalanged him and I do not see a fix reason my grand son bought a u2 it was just a baby 6 to 8 months old a real suck but after a month you couldnt handle it He left to live with an aunt i kept the u2 I was able to bring her back to play follow me around like a dog play with strange kids then my grandson moved back in area but could not enter my home he would be attacked if she was out

if i had family gatherings he was not aloud to come as this was her home he did this him self

now you and your son have to search togather just why amigo does this to him im not saying he intended to upset amigo but deep down he does know why but i do not ever see amigo axcepting your son in your home

you Mare have to decide whats inportant to you having a happy content bird and visiting your son away from your home or keep feeding this hate amigo has for your son by letting him come to your home

if it was my decision id visite my son away from my home as I made a decision to raise this bird and give him a great life and if this is the only peoblem you have with amigo it should tell you that in some stuped way your son steped out of line in amigos mind

you love your son you love this bird and this bird has showen you your son is now welcome in his home grounds

you your self admire the bird even knows your sons car comming on your property this is a war be tween the two so its up to you to find in your heart a solution to have a life with both but will never happen under your roof

stop think there will never be a time when amigo axceps your son nomatter what you do you will only feed this hate amigo has you will make things worse wher it could come down to distroying amigo in the end

im speeking from the heart hun not judging i lived the hate they can carry . Amigo will carry this to his dying day its up to you to axcept it and work around it cage Amigo when son comes befor he arives or visite your son

hugs hun hope you think this through and decide to give Amigo respect for his decision and respect you son by caging Amigp for visites

big hugs doll

Mare

Hit the Road
Dolly, I know what you're saying, and am torn. The fact that my son runs from Amigo, in fear, has a lot to do with our problem, I believe. When Amigo is free flying, he will bombard my son when he's walking around the yard and Amigo knows he, Amigo, is in control, this is what I think. I truly hope to work through these issues. Don't you think I should, at least, try?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Mare, you're asking us 'house parrot owners', for advice on interacting with a wild free bird! lol I think you're pretty much going to be someday giving us advice.

There is no science with what you're doing. It (IMO) is pretty much trial and error. I also believe like you that Amigo, as intelligent as he is, there's probably someway to get him to understand what you want, and tolerate your son's visits.

Good luck on learning what needs to be done!

Status
Not open for further replies.