• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I’m so sorry Levi

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
It’s been awhile since I’ve been active on here, life has taken me in directions I didn’t really expect and recently I received news that I really did not want to hear. Since I know someone will ask, for those of you who remember Grumbles, he is remaining with me, my mom is caring for him until I finish college as he loves my mom very much. He is not going anywhere.

I can’t remember how much I posted about it so I’ll include Levi’s backstory. I adopted Levi, a female severe macaw, from the Iowa parrot rescue 6 or 7 years ago now. She was wonderful to me and I loved having her around. About a year and a half after adopting her I was given the opportunity to be an exchange student for an academic year in Germany, and as it was a scholarship and a dream of mine I went. During this time a friend of mine and fellow volunteer at the parrot rescue agreed to watch her, as what’s one more bird in her words. Well my exchange year ended with COVID and as her husband is immunocompromised we decided it was best I waited to take her back even though I was in the states again. Some time passed and COVID was still bad in our area, and I had decided on a college unexpectedly far from home so they offered to keep her until I got on my feet and could get my own place off campus rather than shuffling her back to me and forth to them again in a few months.

Fast forward to now, and my friend watching Levi is dealing with some serious mental and physical health concerns and the role of caring for the animals has went to her husband, who Levi does not like and will bite. Her husband loves all the critters but he cannot care for them all on his own as that is too much. They reached out to me a few weeks ago letting me know of this and explaining that I either need to take Levi back or return her to the rescue. Levi also hates my mom so my family caring for her is unfortunately not an option. I am an 8 hour drive from home, and while I did finally move off campus I am living with a coworker and i know it would not be safe for her here either as my housemate burns candles, wax melts, and probably has Teflon pans. As my college is in a smaller summer tourist town there is very little housing available, no less that accepts pets. Between being a full time student and working multiple jobs I also don’t feel I could provide enough attention for Levi as much as it hurts me to say. I’d also have to worry about what to do when I do go home to see family, as i feel a drive that long would be quite stressful on her and I realistically cannot afford to pay someone to care for her or trust anyone I don’t know while I’m gone.
Today I was informed that Levi must now leave my friend’s house by November 1st. I am heartbroken and feel like I have failed Levi. I don’t want to give her up but realistically I cannot figure anything out for her by the end of this month.

I don’t even know what I’m looking for by posting here… reassurance maybe? Am I making the right choice? Do I have any other choice? Am I a horrible person for letting her down and doing the one thing I promised I’d never have to do? :(:cry:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So sorry to hear this has happened to you.
Unfortunately circumstances beyond your control have put you in a difficult position.
I think in the best interest of everyone, you should return her so she can be adopted by someone who can give her the love and attention she needs.
You tried your best, but you're not in a position to take care of her. It's not fair for her that she's getting passed around instead of settling with people who can take care of her.
I don't mean this to be harsh in any way, and I truly apologize if it sounds that way.
I'm so sorry you're having to face this.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
You haven't failed her. Your life changed, and changed in a way that she would be safer, and likely happier, somewhere else. It definitely happens, and while it sucks a lot, it's not a reason to beat yourself up.

Can she go back to the rescue?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You definitely haven't failed her,life just took you on an unexpected path through no fault of your own. I think if it's possible returning her to the rescue would be your best option but I'm so sorry that your in this position I really feel for you and hope for the best for you and Levi.

KBEquine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
You have not failed her. Most legit rescues - including Iowa - recognize that situations change any many parrots require multiple homes over a lifetime. That is one reason they have the clause in the contract that the parrot must come back to them if you can't keep it. They are a familiar face and have the parrots best interests at heart, just like you do. It sounds to me like Levi might need to go visit her old friends at the Iowa rescue for a while. They will take care of her when you cannot. Don't beat yourself up. Congratulate yourself on doing the right thing for Levi, no matter how hard it is for you.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
@Animallover03 Its good to hear from you! I'm so sorry its under these circumstances. I agree with others posts here. You have not failed Levi. You're doing the best you can and life just doesn't work out the way you want sometimes. You're still so young and in a transitional part of your life. I remember you as such a compassion empathic young woman. Please don't feel guilty. Knowing that you can't provide a home that Levi needs and be safe in is better than keeping her for selfish or egotistical reasons. You're doing what's best for Levi and there's no shame in that.

I'm glad you still have Grumbles and it sounds like he's doing great with your mom. I've missed you on the forum. I wish you all the best. :hug8:

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
I'm not sure how long u will be away or if it's an option at all but maybe the rescue could help u find a foster for Levi if it's something doable. It's not always about what we want unfortunately but u caring enough to understand that Levi might need a new home entirely is the hardest thing ever shows that u are a good owner. Sometimes u can ask the rescue to let u know if they're still in their care and see them while they are and u might be able to get them to let u know if Levi ever comes back if she does get adopted before u return. Don't EVER beat yourself up for being a good pet parent! I'm sorry u r going through this and no matter what you can know u did right by Levi and that's a better feeling than anything even though it hurts now.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
My local vet school helps find foster homes for birds to stay at for a while. Our humane society does similar. I believe that vet students are some of their volunteers; they can keep an animal while the owner has health treatments or otherwise gets back on their feet. This might be an option for you and Levi.

Otherwise there is no shame in bringing her back to the rescue. It’s better to deal with the problem directly than shuffle this big bird around with people who might not know what they’re getting into. Any parrot is a lot to handle and I know when I was in Iowa there were not many vets who cared for birds. You want to make sure she gets good care and the rescue as an intermediary might be the best option.

I am sorry for your difficulties. Covid put lots of people in awkward spots.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I follow that rescue on Facebook, and it looks like a fantastic place. It seems like that's the best option for Levi.

Although I know you feel attached to her, it's important to look at what's best for her, and that's a more stable environment. You're in a life stage that's very unstable, and hasn't been bird-friendly for the last several years. There's nothing wrong with returning her to the rescue, and waiting until you're more stable in life to commit to another bird.

Good luck.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Hey all.
I returned Levi to the Iowa Parrot Rescue on Sunday. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever done, but I know it is for the best for her. I'm heartbroken and still beating myself up but she deserves a solid home not being passed around until I can take her back.

It was good to be back at the rescue, I haven't been able to volunteer for a few years now and I'm happy to say its the same if not better than when I was last there. I got to see some old parrot friends there and meet some new friendly and not so friendly beaked faces. Levi is in good hands I know. She was just so scared and confused when I dropped her off.. I just hope she can find a good home quickly. My contact info will be given to whoever adopts her and it was stressed that I'd really like to stay in contact if they're willing. She's a sweet girl, and I am thankful for the time I was able to spend with her. I have no doubts she will be adopted quickly if the right people come along. I miss her already. :sad10:
It has been a tough week. I'm just trying to focus and stay on top of classwork, but luckily my professors are understanding of life situations and willing to work with me. I'm going to try and be more active on AA again, I miss you all too :heart:

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I follow that rescue on Facebook, and it looks like a fantastic place.
Yes, I volunteered there for many years in middle and high school and it really is. I'm confident she is in good hands. I am hoping to come back home this summer and volunteer there again as I realized how much I missed it just by visiting even if the visit was under sad circumstances.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
You have not failed her. Most legit rescues - including Iowa - recognize that situations change any many parrots require multiple homes over a lifetime. That is one reason they have the clause in the contract that the parrot must come back to them if you can't keep it. They are a familiar face and have the parrots best interests at heart, just like you do. It sounds to me like Levi might need to go visit her old friends at the Iowa rescue for a while. They will take care of her when you cannot. Don't beat yourself up. Congratulate yourself on doing the right thing for Levi, no matter how hard it is for you.
I really appreciate it.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I'm not sure how long u will be away or if it's an option at all but maybe the rescue could help u find a foster for Levi if it's something doable. It's not always about what we want unfortunately but u caring enough to understand that Levi might need a new home entirely is the hardest thing ever shows that u are a good owner. Sometimes u can ask the rescue to let u know if they're still in their care and see them while they are and u might be able to get them to let u know if Levi ever comes back if she does get adopted before u return. Don't EVER beat yourself up for being a good pet parent! I'm sorry u r going through this and no matter what you can know u did right by Levi and that's a better feeling than anything even though it hurts now.
Unfortunately I am not sure how long I will be away. I graduate from university next year, but I have no idea where I will end up after that. It was really hard but I have come to that realization finally. I know it is best for her and that is what is keeping me going. They will give my contact to whoever adopts her, and said if for some reason she is still there later on I can always re apply for adopting her (although it may not be accepted). I do think she will be snatched up quickly, and I hope she is for her sake. She is a sweet girl and really just a good bird. Thank you for your kind words.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
@Animallover03 Its good to hear from you! I'm so sorry its under these circumstances. I agree with others posts here. You have not failed Levi. You're doing the best you can and life just doesn't work out the way you want sometimes. You're still so young and in a transitional part of your life. I remember you as such a compassion empathic young woman. Please don't feel guilty. Knowing that you can't provide a home that Levi needs and be safe in is better than keeping her for selfish or egotistical reasons. You're doing what's best for Levi and there's no shame in that.

I'm glad you still have Grumbles and it sounds like he's doing great with your mom. I've missed you on the forum. I wish you all the best. :hug8:
Thank you Sarah :heart: I've missed being around.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You've acted with nothing but love and her best interest. I hope soon you will hear if how happy and loved she is in a new home .

Sometimes we are just the lay over .
I had just gotten the cutest tiny puppy, only 3 days later to find half my co workers had been laid off , and the company and my continued employment were unsure. I found him a home , and wow was he really meant to be with them !! I got to follow much of his life and he was their rockstar! Later adopted a behavioral challenged pup, and he was truly meant to be with me !!! He is 15 now , and so much personality and a loving gentleman. I'm so thankful for the hiccup that led him to me. So glad

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
These things happen. I’m glad you were responsible enough to place Levi back at the parrot rescue when you sensed things weren’t the best for him. I’m hoping that the stay with you will have been a good experience that helps Levi think the world is a better place than before.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I don't have a suggestion, but wanted to reach out and say - I care, and you have done your best, no failure!