• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hyperactivity and mutations

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Blu is the most hyperactive quaker I've ever seen and, honestly, sometimes it's exhausting to have to keep an eye on him constantly.

I would describe him as a 2 year old toddler, with ADHD... on speed....and cocaine... going off on a sugar rush.

The most annoying thing about it is that everytime time he's on me (and he wants to be on me alot) he's constantly running around looking to the next thing he could bite. My clothes, my bra strap, my hair, my finger, my toes (he gets mean about the toes , which is I understand is common)

Then on to the bed to try to find crumbs, then to my phone to bite the screen, to the pillow to grab the zipper, on and on and on. He never sits stilll for more than 10 seconds.

Even when he's in/on his cage he's moving and swinging and talking and running and it just never stops. Well...he does take little naps during the day, but that's only when I'm not home to enjoy the calm.

I don't mean to make it sound like I'm frustrated because I'm not. But it is not easy keeping up with him, especially cause I'm already an overprotective wreck of a person as it is. But to have to constantly keep up with him is really making me exhausted.

What I would like to know is...do they ever get calmer when they get older?

And - does being a mutation have anything to do with how bonkers he is? I truley believe him being a mutation makes him more nuts.

When he gets frustrated (which has only happened twice so far) he shakes his head while screaming like he came straight out of the insane asylum. It's only a Blu thing that I've never seen in any other (green) quaker. It's actually psychotic looking.

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Do you have any foot toys for him? Sounds like Mr. Busy-bee could use something better than actual toes and zippers. They're pretty easy to make and may help him.

I found these cute plastic coke bottle tabs... I think from @calibird . Sherbie literally just grabs those and chews them while running about. He loves flinging and making a mess of foot toys. When he comes out for playtime I have a ceramic dish full of them waiting for him.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks Sadie. May I ask what are the coke bottle tabs you're talking about?

I only have a couple of foot toys right now that Blu plays with. But his problem is, it's only fun for about 5 seconds then on to the next thing. Unless ofcourse...it's something I don't want him playing with. That's what he'll become fixated on.

If I could find some fun, safe, and kind of cheap foot toys, then I can use your idea of filling up a bowl with dozens of them. Thanks for the tip!

Eta* I think I know what you're talking about! Do you mean the little plastic ring around the top of a bottle? I can get a bunch of those from my water bottles! :)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
One thing I used to keep Koopa and Jingo occupied (both into everything all the time) was taking a basket big enough for them to climb into, sprinkling in some seed, and then covering with foot toys and crinkle paper. Here is a blog post I did about it: Forage/Foot Toy Basket | Parrot 1-2-3

Foraging really is the best thing for a parrot like that in my experience :)

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
I temporarily had a blue pied lovebird that was kinda like that. He just wouldn't stop moving, he was everywhere! About the mutation thing, sometimes I swear that blue lovebirds are more crazy then greens. So maybe the same with Quakers and just birds in general? I know how it feels to have crazy active birds so I feel your pain :D. Sorry I have no real advice but patience and trying to find a forage toy he really loves.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Thanks Sadie. May I ask what are the coke bottle tabs you're talking about?

I only have a couple of foot toys right now that Blu plays with. But his problem is, it's only fun for about 5 seconds then on to the next thing. Unless ofcourse...it's something I don't want him playing with. That's what he'll become fixated on.

If I could find some fun, safe, and kind of cheap foot toys, then I can use your idea of filling up a bowl with dozens of them. Thanks for the tip!

Eta* I think I know what you're talking about! Do you mean the little plastic ring around the top of a bottle? I can get a bunch of those from my water bottles! :)
These! :D Plastic Soda Can Tabs

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What I would like to know is...do they ever get calmer when they get older?
Yup. Just before they die of old age. Got nothing to do with being a mutation. Has everything to do with being a Quaker. :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
One thing I used to keep Koopa and Jingo occupied (both into everything all the time) was taking a basket big enough for them to climb into, sprinkling in some seed, and then covering with foot toys and crinkle paper. Here is a blog post I did about it: Forage/Foot Toy Basket | Parrot 1-2-3

Foraging really is the best thing for a parrot like that in my experience :)
This is a great idea! I will definitely give it a shot! I've been thinking about getting a basket for a while, but I'm never sure about where to get an untreated one. Never thought about plastic! :)

I temporarily had a blue pied lovebird that was kinda like that. He just wouldn't stop moving, he was everywhere! About the mutation thing, sometimes I swear that blue lovebirds are more crazy then greens. So maybe the same with Quakers and just birds in general? I know how it feels to have crazy active birds so I feel your pain :D. Sorry I have no real advice but patience and trying to find a forage toy he really loves.
Thank you! :)

Oh! Awesome!! Thank you! :)

Yup. Just before they die of old age. Got nothing to do with being a mutation. Has everything to do with being a Quaker. :)
Thank you:arghh::)

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
A climbing net would be a good investment. That is the one item that every single one of my birds loves, and will spend at least half of their time there versus all of their time treating me like furniture. It is a good balance. You add toys to the net with plastic baby clips, and they just have so much fun. Make sure to hang it like a hammock, they like it that way the best.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
A climbing net would be a good investment. That is the one item that every single one of my birds loves, and will spend at least half of their time there versus all of their time treating me like furniture. It is a good balance. You add toys to the net with plastic baby clips, and they just have so much fun. Make sure to hang it like a hammock, they like it that way the best.
Thank you! I've been thinking about getting a net for a while. Just need to save up a little money. I'm hoping it will keep jumping bean in his area.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
You basically just described many of the quakers I've known, mutation or normal green. There's a handful of calm quakers I've met, but typically they were older.

The foot toys are a great idea and I find things like bottle caps, balls of paper, and other little knick knacks seem more interesting to birds than the toys we give them. Maybe they think they shouldn't have it and therefor it's more fun :hilarious: I also think since Blu isn't flighted yet, he has a lot of excess energy and chewing is the only way he can get rid of it. Once he can fly, you should do some basic flight training by having him recall and encouraging him to fly. The best way for a bird to burn energy is through flight.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You basically just described many of the quakers I've known, mutation or normal green. There's a handful of calm quakers I've met, but typically they were older.

The foot toys are a great idea and I find things like bottle caps, balls of paper, and other little knick knacks seem more interesting to birds than the toys we give them. Maybe they think they shouldn't have it and therefor it's more fun :hilarious: I also think since Blu isn't flighted yet, he has a lot of excess energy and chewing is the only way he can get rid of it. Once he can fly, you should do some basic flight training by having him recall and encouraging him to fly. The best way for a bird to burn energy is through flight.

I guess I just got really lucky with my first quaker. He was no trouble at all and very calm. Sigh.

Blu does seem to love crumpled up paper. That's what I give him every day before I leave for work.

I was thinking flight would help burn some energy too but, honestly, I'm a little afraid of how that's going to go too.

If he's able to go anywhere he wants at anytime. I'm guessing he mighy become a feathered little terrorist stage 5 clinger but we'll see....

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
I guess I just got really lucky with my first quaker. He was no trouble at all and very calm. Sigh.

Blu does seem to love crumpled up paper. That's what I give him every day before I leave for work.

I was thinking flight would help burn some energy too but, honestly, I'm a little afraid of how that's going to go too.

If he's able to go anywhere he wants at anytime. I'm guessing he mighy become a feathered little terrorist stage 5 clinger but we'll see....
That's why you have to work now to make play stations throughout the room and reward him for being on them. For example, if you're doing work and he's playing independently reward him with some attention and a treat. Eventually you lengthen the time: plays independently for 1 min, then 3, then 5, 10, and so on and so on.

Once he does have his wings he may become clingier, but then you go right back to rewarding shorter "playing independently periods". And since you've introduced that type of training earlier on he'll get the idea much more quickly.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

You've got to get over this constantly being afraid of it seems like almost everything my dear. Seriously. That is the biggest "need to fix" problem you have right now.

I was going to post the same thing on your semblance thread. Being so fearful and anxious will and does run your life. You need to find a support group that deals with this and start to turn this around because the older you get and you don't do anything about it, it will suck you down to a level you don't want to go.

If you setup a "safe" place for Blu to hangout he will be fine when you are gone. Blu would also benefit from a bird friend. That will relieve a lot of the pressure on you to be that 24/7 flock mate.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That's why you have to work now to make play stations throughout the room and reward him for being on them. For example, if you're doing work and he's playing independently reward him with some attention and a treat. Eventually you lengthen the time: plays independently for 1 min, then 3, then 5, 10, and so on and so on.

Once he does have his wings he may become clingier, but then you go right back to rewarding shorter "playing independently periods". And since you've introduced that type of training earlier on he'll get the idea much more quickly.
That sounds like a good plan, thank you!

You've got to get over this constantly being afraid of it seems like almost everything my dear. Seriously. That is the biggest "need to fix" problem you have right now.

I was going to post the same thing on your semblance thread. Being so fearful and anxious will and does run your life. You need to find a support group that deals with this and start to turn this around because the older you get and you don't do anything about it, it will suck you down to a level you don't want to go.

If you setup a "safe" place for Blu to hangout he will be fine when you are gone. Blu would also benefit from a bird friend. That will relieve a lot of the pressure on you to be that 24/7 flock mate.
I know I have a problem with worrying. I saw a therapist for a couple of years and though it did help with a few things, I don't see myself doing that ever again. Haha.

I will try not to worry about plucking though. Thanks guys!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Looking after a parrot is a lifestyle. Not a hobby. It does require a tremendous amount of sacrifice as it would a child because that's what it takes.

The whole thing boils down to degrees of compromise.

Consistency and routine is what gives your bird the stability it needs and the least stressful environment. When that is an established thing your bird can handle a left or right turn you may need to make every one in a while with little or no effect because they are starting at a low stress level. As long as life returns to normal in short enough order there is no lasting effect.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Looking after a parrot is a lifestyle. Not a hobby. It does require a tremendous amount of sacrifice as it would a child because that's what it takes.

The whole thing boils down to degrees of compromise.

Consistency and routine is what gives your bird the stability it needs and the least stressful environment. When that is an established thing your bird can handle a left or right turn you may need to make every one in a while with little or no effect because they are starting at a low stress level. As long as life returns to normal in short enough order there is no lasting effect.
That makes me feel better. Thank you!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

Do you think they benefit from a flockmate even if they aren't caged together? I've considered one for Sherbs, but I have a feeling they wouldn't be on friendly terms.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Do you think they benefit from a flockmate even if they aren't caged together? I've considered one for Sherbs, but I have a feeling they wouldn't be on friendly terms.
I definitely do. My two are not caged together, but chat back and forth all day, and enjoy their time out together. I figure that if they ever decide that they want to be caged together, they'll let me know. It takes a LOT of pressure off of us to provide one bird's entertainment. Mostly they play with each other--often on us, but not WITH us. Also, they have a big basket full of foot toys to forage through, and several play areas in the room to fly off to if they get bored or annoyed with one another.