• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hyacinth macaw smell

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
the "macaw" smell I'm referring to in this thread.
Which is best smell I have ever smelled!! It's so hard to explain but whatever it is I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

Kita went to the vet today and was especially wonderful smelling the entire trip and while waiting for the vet.

Interesting, only Kita has 'the smell', Kady doesn't. Kady has a plugged Uropygial gland. Can't help but wonder if that has anything to do with the lack of smell.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Which is best smell I have ever smelled!! It's so hard to explain but whatever it is I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

Kita went to the vet today and was especially wonderful smelling the entire trip and while waiting for the vet.

Interesting, only Kita has 'the smell', Kady doesn't. Kady has a plugged Uropygial gland. Can't help but wonder if that has anything to do with the lack of smell.

The BG smell makes all the wrong in the world right for for that very moment. When I am terribly stressed the quote "take a breath" actually works if I have my face buried in a BG.

Sam puts off a very odd smell when around Joe. It's rather stinky and he complains about it every evening.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Sam is only giving off his 'come hither' scent for Joe. :roflmao:

orni'morphosis

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ornithomorphosis AKA Avian Aficionado, Bird
What about you macaw lover? What's your experience with Hyacinth macaw smells in terms of my questions?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I didnt pause to think that a macaw could have a different smell when afraid, going to the vet, etc. What are you all gifted with, hound noses? :) Mera only has one smell. Unless she is very very stressed out (toweled and having a blood draw for example) and then she almost gets a sour smell. I assume thats from her poop? But any other time, she smells like a fruit-tang smell.

Her strongest aromatic scents can be smelled right after a bath or in the sun. OH MAN. Birds smell strongly when in the sun, but Mera can "stink" up an entire room with her scent when she has been sitting in the window.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
1458951365465-829424552.jpg
"I'm hormonal right now and don't smell" -Cha Cha

1458951396035-161905178.jpg
"I'm also hormonal right now and don't smell either" -Tiko

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
For my birds, the general macaw smell is different for all of them. My hys do not have it.

My bg's have a tangy fruit smell, all my BG and bg hybrids smell this way. When going to the vet it's almost a chemical smell to me, it's when they are stressed.

My scarlet has a sour kind of smell, like a gym sock at times. Lol My GW and Military have a musty type odor. Even though they are all different it's a similar macaw smell with all of them.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure it's possible to know what something smells like via the Internet. Maybe try to find a pet store that has some macaws and go take a sniff. A hyacinth will be a much less intense version of that. My macaw doesn't smell any different when hormonal.