• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hyacinth intro

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
i have two mature hyacinths who seem interested in each other. They are both very tame and loving toward me. If they would happen to bond and mate what are the pros and cons? I’ve looked into the basics and know how to hand feed, what nest box to use, and how to use a brooder if necessary. However, reading and actually doing can be two very different things. Any advice would be welcome especially the emotional side of this.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
From all that I've read these guys can be very hard to breed. And they can take a year to wean. There are several breeders who are very successful with them, and I think you should talk with them. One is Kashmir Csaky - I know she's on some groups on facebook, and is always very open to sharing her insights with others. There aren't very many breeders in the U.S. and I imagine Canada is in a similar situation. If you're sure your birds are unrelated, you're fully prepared for all the work and are committed to learning as much as you can about it, it could be a wonderful contribution.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Thanks I will ask Kashmir and should have thought of that. We talk on messenger. She is great.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I’ve read that hand raised parrots do not usually raise their own babies. I know my male was hand raised. I’m a bit afraid of the weaning time. But we will see !

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I'm not sure that's always the case. Macaws seem to be more able than some to make the switch from pet to parent. It seems to me that it would more instinctual than "learned." I have read that their first attempts frequently need intervention, but that subsequent clutches can be more successful. I think a true pair-bond is your first hurdle. And then setting up an aviary that really allows them to be successful.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You would need to read up A LOT on egg incubation procedures. Apparently this species is known for the heart breaking problem of eggs not evaporating enough water during incubation and then babies drown in the shell prior to hatching. Experience incubating and assisting the hatch would probably be useful. I second talking to Kashmir.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Kashmir said the same thing @melissasparrots ;

The problem with Hyacinth raising their babies is not the parents feeding them or keeping the chicks warm. They can be very good parents even if they are hand-raised. The problem is that their eggs are very difficult to hatch. They require careful weight management, manipulation such as sanding, and hatch assistance.

YIKES

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Helps explain their price tag!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have a pair, we toss the eggs and let them sit on dummies. I talked with my scarlets breeder at great length about the hys. Interest sake as I'm not a breeder. He said in addition to the egg trouble, they also have a type of infant death rate before weaning. Could you imagine? :(

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Yet - it is those very difficulties that make it an important endeavor for people. We don't want to lose them through attrition; we need brave, committed people doing it!

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
If you feed them well they will produce well.

Hyacinths eat one main food source in the wild and that is the palm nut that is 450% fat.

They are not vegetarian.

Give them fatty nuts and drizzle the nuts with cold pressed virgin coconut and high quality palm oil with basic fruits like apple and mango or a fruit they will eat high in vitamin a and sprinkle all food with hemp powder.

This will make them super healthy and will breed readily for you no matter what anyone may say.

Then they will raise the babies.

They will also eat much more when feeding the young.

Good fats are life saving for all creatures and hyacinths and green wings must have it to be truly healthy and vibrant and not sick and going to vets to be injected with all their wonders.

The guy like yourself has a better chance than a breeder to be successful as you don't have an aviary to run and can give all to your two hyacinths.

Good luck, you would be surprised how easy it is and food is key especially the fats.

Also if the parents raise them you will have some of the best birds anyone could want and they will know they are birds and whomever gets them from you will be very happy.

One love

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Awe thank you for the positive and very informative advice. I really appreciate your faith that I can do this and I will follow your advice when the time comes. :hug4:

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Sure you can do it and from your avatar you already have the number one ingredient.. Love.

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Know this.

Once you start giving them the high fats they need you should see the female in time start to act like chuckee in the picture I posted.

Many do not see this behavior because they simply do not give them enough good fats for them to truly become fully hormonal.

Fats do not make them fat.

Formula food does.

Proper fats also cleanse the body of toxins and heavy metals.

Just a few tid bits as nothing is more rewarding than babies.

Small breeders are the best.

You can easily join the ranks and be another with just a pair of birds that likes to breed once in a while and give much more attention to detail than the one with a large aviary.

One love

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If you feed them well they will produce well.

Hyacinths eat one main food source in the wild and that is the palm nut that is 450% fat.

They are not vegetarian.

Give them fatty nuts and drizzle the nuts with cold pressed virgin coconut and high quality palm oil with basic fruits like apple and mango or a fruit they will eat high in vitamin a and sprinkle all food with hemp powder.

This will make them super healthy and will breed readily for you no matter what anyone may say.

Then they will raise the babies.

They will also eat much more when feeding the young.

Good fats are life saving for all creatures and hyacinths and green wings must have it to be truly healthy and vibrant and not sick and going to vets to be injected with all their wonders.

The guy like yourself has a better chance than a breeder to be successful as you don't have an aviary to run and can give all to your two hyacinths.

Good luck, you would be surprised how easy it is and food is key especially the fats.

Also if the parents raise them you will have some of the best birds anyone could want and they will know they are birds and whomever gets them from you will be very happy.

One love

Just curious, when you say they are not vegetarian what do you mean? The diet you prescribed above is a vegetarian diet.

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Meaning many give more veggies then fat and proteins wich protein's should only be plant based like hemp and chia for example.

When fed mostly veggies they eat more and it's more expensive because their " cup" is never full.

Got a friend that spends $150 a week to feed their blue and gold and they seen chuckee and could not believe her glow

Asked me what I spent on food and I said, around 1-120$ a month.

Told them same thing, eat better, eat less and hemp most important.

One love

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Vegetables are full of proteins though. Not a lot of fats except squash and pumpkins.