• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hurt little ring neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George

I have a hurt little ring neck, he was bitten by a dog and has a puncturewound on his chest and his feet are not working right. The foster parents tookhim to a holistic vet last night and he wanted to put him down or charge me $300.00 to keep him overnight, when I asked if someone was going to stay with him all night he told me no, so what the hell am I pay $300.00 for? Itook him home and kept him warm through the night and took him to my vet thismorning. He got stitched up and antibiotics given to him and I have beenfeeding him formula a couple times a day. The little guy is eating and tryingto move his legs, they are just not responding the right way yet. He does havefeeling in them because he reacts to touch and he can pull them somewhat underneathhim. He also went to the bathroom and that was the only thing worrying me, itwas a big one.

I kind of was ••••ed off at the 1st vet as he charged me lots of moneyincluding holistic treatment and then wanted to basically kill the bird. What the hell is holistic about a dog bite, A**hole.
Ithink the little guy should make it.

Sorry if I sound mad, I am!

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
I don't blame you for being mad; I would be furious!
I'm glad the little guy went to the vet and I hope everything turns out ok. If he's moving his legs I bet he'll be ok with them after he heals. Thoughts coming your way!!

MarleysMom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Debbie
Aww, I'm glad you were able to get him to someone who could really help. Hope all goes well.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Poor baby. I hope his legs start responding the right way, I am sure given time, they will be fine. I am not sure about his poop, but if he continues to do big poops that are worrisome, I would speak to your vet about it.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I pray the little guy makes it George. Sounds like he is in good hands. I wonder if you massage his legs if that would help.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little one,I pray he will make it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ahole is a good description. Greedy is another one.

Hang in there little one. :hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Good luck little ringneck. Bless you for taking him for treatment.

Lunasmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Darlene
When your little ringneck was injured, he needed treatment for shock. being in shock can cause there immune system to crash. And they become weak and can't fight off infection. When our indian ringneck ( Luna )was injured and treated for shock, I detoxed her as part of the treatment. She had a lot of lactic acid in her system from shock. detoxing her helped to get rid of the poison that can cause the immune system to crash and liver damage. Luna never did develop any secondary infections or illness. She healed and was left with some disability, but is still healthy. It has been over four years ago. And just the love and care you give your baby will make him bond to you and trust you. Indian ringnecks are tough for there size. You did the right thing for him and by putting him on baby formula that is easy to digest. It is also good to use for mixing the detox formula in. And you can give him blueberries and other foods high in antioxidents to strenghthen his immune system. And don't allow anything stressful to him. Stress weakens the immune system also.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Most vets wont go forward with treatment without signed approval for the overal care, and related costs. You could have said no, and gone elsewhere.
I do hope the little one pulls through....puncture wounds on birds must be awful :( Lucky he survived at all.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How is he this morning?

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor baby..many prayers and healing energies on t he way

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Healing thoughts and Prayers for the little one and a :hug8:for You for wanting to help him.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
How's he doing today George?

Was thinking about him last night, and how great it was you took it upon yourself to get him the care he truly needed .. Kudos!!

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
He is lots more awake today. I think the pain meds are helping. He is still dragging his feets behind him though. I did get lots of fluids into him this morning and I fed him more formula. He is a fighter though and if I can get him to use his feets I think he will make it, but it may take awhile to recover use of his feet.
The plus side of today is that is is well enough to bite me pretty hard!
P.S. this is 1st thing this morning before I changed the towels, As you can see he is moving all around his container and going potty.

Attachments

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
AWWW Bless him:hug8:Years ago when I rescued a Parakeet that's legs were paralyzed,I gave Him many ladders at every angle-some even horizontal as perches.As he got stronger,he used his Beak to pull himself up the ladders,eventually using his legs also:) He never got back full use of his legs-But he could go any where in the cage He wanted to and using the Ladders for sleeping(better Balance) He never fell off the perches.Best of Luck with Him,Healing thoughts and Prayers continue for Him:hug8:

gritsinct

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cathy
Thanks goodness he has you to look out for him! :heart: I hope he regains complete use of his feet.

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
You are sooo awesome for taking care of him. My fingers and toes are crossed that he'll recover fully. After several more days you can try moving his legs in normal range of motion which might help a little bit.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Poor guy... I hope he regains some function! Your wonderful for taking him in and getting him help. That is so sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.