• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Hurt cockatiel

BellaM

Checking out the neighborhood
Ok, so my cockateil is a male about 1/1.5 years old. He has always been a bit timid and afriad. When we first got him he was a little older than 6 months. It took him a good 3 or 4 month just to jet used to us and come out of his corner. At that point he still would hiss at you if you put your hand in the cage or try and get close to him. However, a little after this he started to take trats and foo from out hands which was major progress for us. Only for the last couple of months is he finally coming on our hands and letting us pet him. He also started climbing on top of his cage. Recently hes also started flying. At the start, aroung 3 months ago, he would fly and land somewhen and it would take us a solid 20-30 minuted to coax him onto our hands so we could take him back to his cage. Recently its been getting a lot better. He can now fly and fly imself back to his perch. For the last week or so something has been spooking him and he'll randomly fly away.

Now onto what actually happened. He flew like normal and got into that mode. All of a sudden he flew faster than we have ever seen him fly and crashed right into a window. He has a huge gash of his forehead, right above his eye, and has a black eye. We rushed him right to every vet hospital we could find but none of them took him in. We finally went to the shop we bought him from and they cleande him up but couldnt do anything else.

We are back at home and I think he went into shock. He can barely move around and is completely off balance. I dont know what to do for him. Its freezing in California right now and im trying hard to keep him warm and secluded. If anyone has tips of what to do it would be majorly apreciated. Thanks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What area of the state are you in? Perhaps someone can help you find an avian vet? He'll likely need some anti-inflammatory medicine to help swelling in the head.

Sometimes if they hit too hard there is not much that can be done besides supportive care and hoping for the best :(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would call the vet and ask them for an anti inflammatory/pain med. I’m surprised the vet didn’t give you one. One of my birds flew into a window once, and she was out kind of out of it for a couple days, but the. She was fine. The vet had given her Metacam for pain and swelling. I hope your bird will be okay, and keep us updated!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you do an online vet consult with an avian vet? Also, for the future, you can try putting decals on the windows so he doesn't think he can fly through the windows. I hope he will be okay.