• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Hump day

Trummdum

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kasper
Hi! This will be my first post here and I'm sorry in advance for non-perfect english!

My only parrot, who's a Caique named Freja will have her first birthday in five days, and she's humping her toy all the time! I would like to know if this behavior is normal for a GIRL who's not sexually mature?

Her ring is an "open type" but I do have papers on her and she's DNA-tested. Her colors are not completely developed yet so I believe the papers are correct!

Med vänlig hälsning, Kasper

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Kasper and Freja!

We once had a female cockatiel who "did the nasty"- like Freja does- with her toys all the time. Kind of unusual, but to each his or her own...:)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know when the sexual maturity of a Caique occurs, but my female Green Wing macaw started that stuff much too soon. Not only do birds mature at different ages, even among the same species, but their environment can influence their behavior.

Doe she get 12 hours of sleep and restricted sunlight. Can you move her cage to a different place in the house? Can you change out her toys? Can you change her daily schedule? Others claim that all of these things will reduce hormonal behavior.

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
My female Pearly Conure likes to hump toys

conure64

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
Don't worry, it's normal. Leia screams if she doesn't have her squirtle plushie at night to "have fun" with. :D

Trummdum

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kasper
Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

Sooo.... Even though it's a girl, and not sexually mature, it's a normal behavior? hahaha that's something completely new for me!

Doe she get 12 hours of sleep and restricted sunlight. Can you move her cage to a different place in the house? Can you change out her toys? Can you change her daily schedule? Others claim that all of these things will reduce hormonal behavior.
Well, she sleeps for at least eleven hours and true sunlight is pretty rare in my apartment, the windows are pointing north-east without any direct sunlight during winter times here in Sweden. Although I've got a birdlamp over her cage that's turned on between 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM. She's inside the cage or under the lamp playing maybe seven hours daily, the cage however can't be moved without refurnish the entire, small apartment! ;D I buy toys maybe once a month and her schedule is quite like, do whatever she wants but shredding my mouse mat and chewing on the keyboard cable :) I mayyybe give her a bit too much food when I eat dinner, she really likes meatballs and chicken hehe...

Last edited: