• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HQ cage?

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Okay, so was gonna buy the HQ cage I saw on amazon when the price went up :arghh: Glad the price did now! Realized there were not any horizontal bars for my baby to climb around on (which she LOVES to do). So looked at a 30" x 30" cage from petco and lo and behold this $300 dollar cage was on sale for $200!!! :dance5: So now she has an even bigger cage (with perfect bar spacing and thickness) with a playtop and other perks for little more than it would have cost me to get the flight cage :D Should be here in about a week (if not less) and I'll get picks posted :xflove:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The petco 30"x30" is one hell-of-a-cage for a small bird. LOVE IT. And please post pics when you get it and its all set up! We LOVE cage pics.

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Good thing you bought a different brand. The paint on HQ is very thin and if you scrub too hard, it comes off.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Okay, so was gonna buy the HQ cage I saw on amazon when the price went up :arghh: Glad the price did now! Realized there were not any horizontal bars for my baby to climb around on (which she LOVES to do). So looked at a 30" x 30" cage from petco and lo and behold this $300 dollar cage was on sale for $200!!! :dance5: So now she has an even bigger cage (with perfect bar spacing and thickness) with a playtop and other perks for little more than it would have cost me to get the flight cage :D Should be here in about a week (if not less) and I'll get picks posted :xflove:
Which 30x30 cage did you get?? Post the link please :dancing:

Good thing you bought a different brand. The paint on HQ is very thin and if you scrub too hard, it comes off.
I have 3 HQ cages and the folders one is about 7 years old now ~ never had a problem with the paint or anything else at this point. That includes daily cleanings and at least once a month deep cleans if not more as needed.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Which 30x30 cage did you get?? Post the link please :dancing:

I have 3 HQ cages and the folders one is about 7 years old now ~ never had a problem with the paint or anything else at this point. That includes daily cleanings and at least once a month deep cleans if not more as needed.
I have a cage that is almost 2 years old and grey. If I scrub too hard, some of the finish comes off onto my rag.

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Sorry for pic quality... Had a cold front come through so making sure cage is 'insulated' :) Poor baby gets cold under 75 degrees. Thank God we live in Texas :hehe:

2014-11-12 19.45.07.jpg 2014-11-12 19.44.58.jpg 2014-11-12 19.44.49.jpg :heart: :heart: :heart:

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So looking to upgrade my conure cage and finding that I can get great cages from HQ for good prices. However, I'm worried about the safety of the cage paint since they are made in China. Has anyone had safety issues with their HQ cages?
It almost killed my Queen of Bavaria, Bailey. No one from the company wanted to take responsibility for the expense. I 'm sure you can find it on here. Lead Poisoning, Bailey! 5,000.00 to save his life over a cage made in China! Bailey is in a Animal Environments Stainless Steel cage now. After all the medical expenses and the nightmare of it the worst part is then you have to rebuild the trust with your bird from all the trauma done to him with round the clock care. Funny thing is I bought it new as a temporary cage until his stainless cage was selected then built. Bailey was in the cage only 6 months before this happened! Good luck. Almost all the cages are made in China.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I googled "HQ cage toxicity" and found several references one emailed for the toxicity report (2008) anther had a vet test (2007) - the tan colour seemed to have a 2000ppm level for lead from the comment which they state is bad. :confused:

You could always email the company and request a report in case the materials have been changed in the past 7 years (I imagine they will have)?
metals168@qq.com

or contact a vet/other such professional to have it tested?
WHITE IS THE WORSE! MOST STORES HERE IN MY AREA ARE NOT CARRYING THEM ANY LONGER AND ONE DISTRIBUTOR SAID (I'm talking the one who sold the cage to a mom & pop store where I purchased the cage in Orlando) THEY ARE NOT IMPORTING WHITE ANY LONGER! OF COURSE THIS INFORMATION CAME TO ME AFTER BAILEY GOT SICK AND I CONTACTED EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THE SALE OF BAILEYS CAGE!

QBird

Jogging around the block
thank you BeakFace that is good to know.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
thank you BeakFace that is good to know.
Your very welcome. Not everyone's bird will chew the paint on a cage. Thank God! It's a shame that China can get away with this but they do and can. THE avian vet from Blue Pearl Clinic in Tampa, her name Dr Teresa Lightfoot (one of the best in the country) has treated over 1000 cases of lead poisoning in her career! I had no idea what was wrong with Bailey. She met me on a Sunday, one hour drive for me one way. I don't think I ever drove so fast! It saved his life. I will say as I have read so many sad stories on here about birds dying and not knowing why and many had symptoms like Bailey. Anyway on a Sunday I called every Avian Vet and emergency clinic in my area and no one available in my area because it is a SUNDAY. IT'S NOW NOON! TALK ABOUT FEELING HOPELESS! THINKING THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING! NO VET AVAILABLE FOR BAILEY! I got lucky because I had met Dr Teresa Lightfoot in an emergency situation bringing in a bird from the local rescue just months previous to Bailey getting sick. If that hadn't happened Bailey would not be here today because no Avian Vet available on a Sunday and no emergency clinic that could treat a bird. Pretty scary! Bailey would not have made it until Monday. He was at the hospital for 4 days and a relapse for another 3 days. My personal vet that I have used for my birds has 35 years experience. Not certified but highly thought of was SO UNAVAILABLE on a Sunday. Thanks Dr. Lightfoot for being available on a Sunday. She was not in the clinic but she was reached by the clinic and agreed to come in if it was in fact an emergency. Of course I am crying and and pretty upset and out of control actually saying of course it is an emergency! When I got to the clinic they took me right in and in just minutes they called her and said this is life threatening! Bailey was given immediate care as per instructions! She was also kind enough to document all the test so I could send them to the Pet Store, the distributor of the cage and then to HQ. Of course I knew the outcome. HQ contacted me and said they will run a test for lead poisoning and get back to me which they did. Guest what? NEGATIVE! MY CAGE was 6 months old and who knows when it was manufactured but the test they did that week? RIGHT! DID I MENTIONED HOW LONG IT WAS BEFORE HQ WAS ABLE TO BE REACHED? Lets put it this way no one reimbursed me for any of it. Never will I buy another powder coated cage in my life. END OF RANT!

Last edited: