1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hows lief having a Plum Head around?...

Discussion in 'Ringneck and other Keet Street' started by Janus, 10/19/18.

1. Janus

Janus Meeting neighbors Avenue Veteran

Ive always been Fascinated with the Alexandrine, in The Netherlands there are some areas you can watch them in the wild (like Ringneck and Quakers), but they are too big for me to own one as a pet.
    While doing some research I came across the Plum Head...I had never heard of it before. But not a whole lot of info aivalable.
    Please tell me about this beautiful bird...Is there call really less loud then the IRN?
    How often does it scream?
    I can handle a scream now and then but not half the day. Years ago I had adopted a P.Senegal... every time I would leave the room he started screaming like crazy...in a way it drove my gf crazy!
    So are they attention screamers like GCC for example? I read they are pretty independent.
    Are they one person birds or more like family birds? When i do purchase a bird, somewhere in the future, it will become a single family(hopefully) bird.
    There are some plum Heads available here but only for aviary.
    Do I have to find a breeder who wants to help me socialize the bird in the beginning.
    Oh they also have this fase...bluffing stage...like the other Ringnecks?

2. soleaux

soleaux Walking the driveway Avenue Veteran

Nola
    They are very beautiful aren’t they! I’ve always been drawn to them too :xflove:

Tagging some people who have plum heads!

@alshgs @AkasyaEllric

Janus likes this.
  3. alshgs

alshgs Rollerblading along the road

I have a 3 year old male named Tuki. He is my sweetie pie. He's flighted, so has free roam of the house when I'm home along with my other birds. He does kissy noises, wolf whistles and a whole bunch of other sounds. He doesn't scream, but he can be loud when my other birds get excited. He loves shredding toys, but is essentially a perch potato when in his cage. When out of his cage, he does circles between the kitchen and the living room. I'm his person, and he chooses to be with me, but every now and then he will go to my husband and kids. This is mainly because I'm the one that takes care of him. The rest of the family love birds as well, but I'm the one that trained him. While he loves to be with me and will preen me, sit with me, ect, they do not like to be touched. It's generally the species as a whole that is like that, although you will get the select few that enjoy it. He only lets me do it if we are at the vet and he is scared. Or when his wings were clipped. But I haven't clipped his wings in over 2 years because he enjoys flying. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Janus likes this.
  4. Janus

Thank you for your reply...very helpfull!
    I have found several breeders here, some breeding with over 30 couples (all kind of mutations) so I think it wont be that hard to find a young bird as the time comes.

Do plum Heads also have that bluffing stage? And how die you voor with it, just ignoring? @alshgd

5. Janus

sorry last sentence....how do you cope with it?...just ignoring?

6. alshgs

alshgs Rollerblading along the road

Tuki hasn’t gone through a bluffing stage yet...so I don’t have much input on that. But I would say that I plan on ignoring it. He has never bitten me, so I guess I would just have to pay very close attention to the body language

Janus likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)