• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How would you describe your pionus parrot's personality?

OldBirdLady1983

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Pickle
My WC Pionus female is going on 4yrs old and I am her first and last owner and she is by far my best bird I have ever in my life owned. I can do anything with her, flip her on her back and cuddle and kiss her belly, shes never bitten me. Shes even been in breeding season with her tail flarred and strutting about and I can still grab her from behind and she will still step up on command. My Dusky is a Male and he is "Nasty"

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Rowan is Rowan. Need I say more? :eek:

She chatters and talks all day for hours on end, but the volume of that chatter is low, thankfully. :lol:She's CONSTANTLY on the move, doing this, that or the other. She loves bells. Especially one in particular which she viciously beats into submission every morning and at intervals throughout the day. She never plays gentle with anything. It's always a wild attack with lots of angry squeals and shaking the poor object back and forth so rigorously it's a wonder her head doesn't go flying off. :huh:
She doesn't have much interest in me, honestly. She'll let me give her scritches from time to time, but she's far be it for her to stay put for very long.
She LOVES her harness and is always very eager to go outside. She doesn't mind most strangers, but she is afraid of some men. I've been trying and trying to figure out what the deciding factor is, as she's not afraid of all men. It doesn't seem to be weight, height, hair (or lack thereof), shirt color, hat, or age :confused:. So I've just taken to avoiding men altogether when she's with me. :p Though that's not always easy when we're out on the hiking trails.
She's extremely opinionated and stubborn. Out of my entire flock, she's the most mischievous and troublesome. Almost every time I've gotten bitten by her (which is more often than I'd like to admit :o:), she's managed to draw blood.

Noisy
Energetic
Outgoing
Assertive
Quick-tempered

. . . I really don't think I got the bird I researched. :huh:
She's a pill for sure, but I love her. :heart:

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:wow:I truly did not know there were as many pionus parrots on this forum as posted on this thread. :huh:

That's awesome! Thanks guys.:)

Flit

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
Yeah, it's nice knowing there are so many. Hopefully there will be more, though, as people discover this "hidden gem" of the parrot world.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Hello - I have a 5 month old WC male who has been DNA tested. I have had him one month and took him home soon after he was weaned from handfeeding. He doesn't sound like the other WC poinus described but not sure I read about any WC males. Max is not quiet. He loudly verbalizes a lot. I didn't know how loud until this weekend when I was on my porch of my single family home. I have sizeable yard. A neighbor I have not met yet (I recently moved) walked by and asked if I had a parrot (turns out he has an amazon). He asked about the type and was surprised when I also told him I had just one. He explained that he heard my bird from the street as he walked his dog each day. He asked if my parrot's cage was in the front window. In actuality the man had the right room but my WC baby's cage is by the window facing the back! I am shocked by the noise level but Max seems to be practicing something and this appears to be entertainment to him. I spend a lot of time with him before and after work (Max would prefer if I didn't leave him for work for 8 hours, but I actually come home a lot during the day to check on him) and pretty much take him with me on the weekends (so I do not think that the constant loud babble is from lack of attention). I am trying to teach him to speak so maybe the loud loud babbling will turn to something else. Max is very very very active. He plays hard and rough with his toys. When he is on my shoulder he is constantly moving and looking for a toy such as my earring or something on my desk. He is looking for something to chew but is careful with me. It took a few weeks but he finally has begun to bond with me and accept positive reinforcement from me (wouldn't take treats from me for 2 weeks). He does not want me to scratch his head. He seems to like me and wants me nearby (I am thinking if he is a baby and already quite put off if I leave the room that our relationship will take an interesting turn when he becomes hormonal). Yet I don't really think of him as sweet as other Pi owners describe their birds. I had 2 cockatiels for 17 years who were extraordinarily attached cuddlebunnies who were sooooo sweet. I see my relationship with Max as very different. He is not aggressive as he will step up and interact (without my fear of being bitten) but he is very very assertive in letting me know what he wants.

Max is very intelligent. He observes and is quiet for a bit in a new situation as he takes everything in - then he goes back to his rough and tumble play. He learned a whistle from somewhere. I am trying to teach him to say "hello." Anyway, when I respond to his whistle with the same whistle, he has a look of shock on his face as we are saying the same thing. I stopped responded with a whistle back as I want to encourage him to speak. But Max uses the whistle to manipulate me and to beg to get something he wants as he knows the whistle is a common language.

He doesn't bite except when I try to put his flight suit on. Not too hard but he gets his point across. At other times, he tries to teach me his language so I know he doesn't want to be bothered (and so I know to back off so I won't have to be bitten) - such as when he is at the top of his playgym. So I am thrilled that my new baby is starting to be very attached but I wonder if I have some other type of bird in a Pionus' body? :) It is nice to venture onto new territory - just not what I was expecting at all. I hope the positive reinforcement training I started helps develop his habits so the hormonal years will not be more active than he currently is. I didn't need to learn how to train my cockatiels but I figured out in the first few days of bringing Max home that I needed to find out how to care for and train a Pionus so that we could bond. And to think I thought about getting a caique which are supposed to have more energy than a Pi. So that is how I describe my Max - a huge adventure.... :)

Last edited:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I just got the Practical Pionus book and have to say that it really does help to understand Pionus' personalities. Even helps with my baby Pi which definitely has had me a bit confused as we get to know each other. For any other new Pi owners I definitely recommend this book if you can find it.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I must say that 5 year old Sachi WCP has alot of ATTITUDE these days. Big instigator with my severe macaw and very quick to lunge at me too. I use my step up stick with her ALOT lately. This evening I gave her an extremely long time out and really didn't want much to do with her for a long stretch of the evening.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
sounds like I need to stick train Max even if he steps up on my finger as one day I may need it. I have heard the males get hormonal but it sounds like the females do too. Max can let me pet him for the first time and then an hour later he lounges to warn me when I come near (he was busy vocalizing and didn't want me near). I hope this isn't hormones at 5 months! I need to be more observant and teach stick training. and appearing finish reading the Practical Pionus

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Hello - I have a 5 month old WC male who has been DNA tested. I have had him one month and took him home soon after he was weaned from handfeeding. He doesn't sound like the other WC poinus described but not sure I read about any WC males. Max is not quiet. He loudly verbalizes a lot. I didn't know how loud until this weekend when I was on my porch of my single family home. I have sizeable yard. A neighbor I have not met yet (I recently moved) walked by and asked if I had a parrot (turns out he has an amazon). He asked about the type and was surprised when I also told him I had just one. He explained that he heard my bird from the street as he walked his dog each day. He asked if my parrot's cage was in the front window. In actuality the man had the right room but my WC baby's cage is by the window facing the back! I am shocked by the noise level but Max seems to be practicing something and this appears to be entertainment to him. I spend a lot of time with him before and after work (Max would prefer if I didn't leave him for work for 8 hours, but I actually come home a lot during the day to check on him) and pretty much take him with me on the weekends (so I do not think that the constant loud babble is from lack of attention). I am trying to teach him to speak so maybe the loud loud babbling will turn to something else. Max is very very very active. He plays hard and rough with his toys. When he is on my shoulder he is constantly moving and looking for a toy such as my earring or something on my desk. He is looking for something to chew but is careful with me. It took a few weeks but he finally has begun to bond with me and accept positive reinforcement from me (wouldn't take treats from me for 2 weeks). He does not want me to scratch his head. He seems to like me and wants me nearby (I am thinking if he is a baby and already quite put off if I leave the room that our relationship will take an interesting turn when he becomes hormonal). Yet I don't really think of him as sweet as other Pi owners describe their birds. I had 2 cockatiels for 17 years who were extraordinarily attached cuddlebunnies who were sooooo sweet. I see my relationship with Max as very different. He is not aggressive as he will step up and interact (without my fear of being bitten) but he is very very assertive in letting me know what he wants.

Max is very intelligent. He observes and is quiet for a bit in a new situation as he takes everything in - then he goes back to his rough and tumble play. He learned a whistle from somewhere. I am trying to teach him to say "hello." Anyway, when I respond to his whistle with the same whistle, he has a look of shock on his face as we are saying the same thing. I stopped responded with a whistle back as I want to encourage him to speak. But Max uses the whistle to manipulate me and to beg to get something he wants as he knows the whistle is a common language.

He doesn't bite except when I try to put his flight suit on. Not too hard but he gets his point across. At other times, he tries to teach me his language so I know he doesn't want to be bothered (and so I know to back off so I won't have to be bitten) - such as when he is at the top of his playgym. So I am thrilled that my new baby is starting to be very attached but I wonder if I have some other type of bird in a Pionus' body? :) It is nice to venture onto new territory - just not what I was expecting at all. I hope the positive reinforcement training I started helps develop his habits so the hormonal years will not be more active than he currently is. I didn't need to learn how to train my cockatie but I figured out in the first few days of bringing Max home that I needed to find out how to care for and train a Pionus so that we could bond. And to think I thought about getting a caique which are supposed to have more energy than a Pi. So that is how I describe my Max - a huge adventure.... :)
just reflecting on Max after having him 4 1/2 months. Time allows me to know him better...in a year or two I will know him even better. One correction: he is not loud. He babbles and practices vocalization a lot but it isn't loud. Except with running water or vacuuming. And I do think he is sweet in his energetic playful way. We definitely know each other better. Very happy to appreciate him as he is...joyful

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
One correction: he is not loud. He babbles and practices vocalization a lot but it isn't loud. Except with running water or vacuuming.
They love the vacuum cleaner and most drown out it. :D

Eloy is only 7 months old and is a Maxi Siy.
But he is sweet, energetic and playful. Can bite if you don't respect him. (like that) He is social and yet very independent. HE LOVES WATER!!
He is never aggressive, but when he goes into "battle-mode" I will not play with him. :p
Eloy is very intelligent and love doing tricks. He can also understand things I say like, BRB, breakfast, doing tricks, and End. For all of his tricks he understand the word for the trick too. I didn't know that Pionus was so good in doing tricks so I'm very happy about that.
Eloy doesn't talk, but he can whistle and making kissing sounds. <3

This thread was very interested to read so thanks all for sharing! :)

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Yes, this thread is reaffirming as one learns more about one's pionus parrot. Nice to have a point of comparison.. .

Will hold off posting too much about Charlie for now. He has a growing place in my heart and I see his ability to touch me similiar to my Lea. But I want to give him a lot of time to get used to yet another home before I form any firm opinions. I can confirm pure sweetness in his soul though. I just need to give him time to really heal from the past

starla21

Jogging around the block
Interesting thread as I've been noticing the personality difference between my two Pi's. Kaeli is a female about 2 years old and she is the sweetest bird imaginable. She's very gentle but insecure and doesn't feel comfortable in new territory, if she's sitting on my hand she will lean towards my shoulder or she will sit on her cage and look at me longingly to go to her favorite perch on my shoulder. She's not very active and doesn't play with her toys much so I would classify her as a bit of a perch potato. She does play sometimes but is mostly happy just sitting and observing. She loves water and being sprayed for her weekly baths. She's very quiet except when the vacuum is on then she likes to screech. She's never bitten me hard but she did draw blood on my uncle once who doesn't know birds and put his hand towards her when she was on her cage, so I know she has it in her.

Jasie is an 8 month old female and is quite a bit different. She's sweet too but very confident so I have to be firm with her sometimes when she's testing the boundaries. She's very active and loves to play with her toys. She's can be noisy at times and likes to screech when she's excited. I call her my trouble maker as she's always on the go seeing what she can get into. She likes to fly onto your shoulder from her cage without warning. :D She's afraid of the vacuum which is unlike her bold character. She likes to sit on your hand or shoulder and get head scritches. She loves water too and likes to be sprayed. She has bitten me a little hard sometimes when she hasn't gotten her own way. :cool:

Last edited:

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Neo (blue head, 3.5 months) came to us a little more than 2 weeks ago, shell shocked from his cross-country flight. For the first 2 weeks, all he would do was sit where ever we put him, and make begging noises and bobbing motions. He hated being approached from above with fingers, but would step onto a hand obediently if we pressed against his belly. We made an oatmeal mix for him 2x a day to help since we weren't sure if he was fully weaned, but he ate anything and everything we offered him as well, so it was good at least that he wasn't a picky eater.

Now, he's a big, bouncing baby boy. Very inquisitive and bold. Rarely is he just content to sit on his cage or any other perch for longer than a couple of minutes. Everything is a toy to him, and if he can chew it, pull it, push it or manipulate it, you can bet he will be on it like white on rice. Now that he's much bolder, he will pitch a small fit if you try to take a toy away from him that he's playing with or get between him and something he's eyeing. There is a min pin in the house, and they share the same space sometimes (always supervised). He was initially nervous but now mostly ignores him. Over the weekend was the first time he held still and let me scritch his head, puffing out his feathers, but that's still a rare privilege he will offer us when he feels like it. I love that he can be left with a toy for 10 minutes to do his own thing. When he feels like it, or wants to see what we're up to, he'll fly over to check us out.

His vocalizations have increased in range tremendously, going from that annoyingly loud rat-tat-tat begging call to amusing squeaks, whistles, beeps and chirps. On the whole though, he's very quiet. I haven't heard him vocalize loudly yet. Last week I caught him trying to imitate the *beep beep beep* of the microwave. as he was hiding behind the pickle jar on the kitchen counter. He hasn't taken to showering, but I'm hoping to introduce him slowly.

All in all...I'm very pleased with his progress.

PS...as a first time Pi owner, I was overwhelmed with his smell. You guys aren't kidding when you say pis smell...boy do they ever! It's interesting and funky, and I don't know if I'll ever like it, but I think I can learn to tolerate it.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bump! :)

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Olive is a female White Capped Pionus, believed to be around 9 years old. I am her 4th or so home, and I've only had her for 2 months. She is very gentle and docile, if she doesn't like what I'm doing she will just move my hand away and step to the side but has never bitten me. She is very quiet, she'll call a bit in the morning but that's usually the extent of it. She didn't talk when she came to me, but I taught her "pretty bird" and I can hear her practicing when I'm in the other room. Thus far I think I'm the only person who will be able to understand what she is saying though :) She will also start what I call her "angry grumble" which sounds like a bunch of garbled words muttered under her breath with her head feathers raised and tail fanned, and she'll get louder and louder until she starts doing her high pitched "alarm call"... It works pretty well to drive people out of the room lol The only other time I've seen the feisty side of her is when Rocco (GCC) would get too close. She was not a fan. Having him around actually set us back a bit in bonding.

She loves her head scratched, but not while I'm holding her. Scritches are reserved for while she's in her cage or on her play stand. She's also been hormonal practically from the second week I had her. She spends a lot of time clucking. If I touch her back at all she will start instantly. She is a bit of a perch potato but also has a playful, goofy side to her. Once she is comfortable with a new toy (can take weeks), she will set out to destroy it all as fast as possible, but then go another week or so without touching another toy. Her favorite is popsicle sticks.

She never used to fly unless startled but I've shown her how she can fly from her stand to the top of her cage and now she does so regularly. She's still scared about flying other places though. She is a wonderful bird, I can't wait to see how our relationship changes as she gets more comfortable :)
As always Miss Ellen your story inspires me...:)

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Ok let s start with Mickey I saved him from a chain pet store we were meant to be together from start one. He has never bit me but has shown me how smart he is. If he doe's not like what i am doing he will grab my finger with his beak (softly)and move it to the side. I understand his sounds and react as needed He tells me he loves me all the time and will fall asleep in my fingers as I stretch him. Now my Mugsey is totally different he is a paranoid bird and scares easly I have been bit plenty of time by him but I KNOW it is my fault. He can be the most emotion affection playful bird I know He has just recently taken liking to me so socializing him to other people is OUR next challenge. I realize now more than ever it takes patience,time,understanding,RESPECT to have a Pio as a Companion I am so glad I have two.:):D

Mirantha

Walking the driveway
A Pionus parrot is high up on my list as a possible addition to our family, so I don't know how I missed this thread!

I love hearing all of these stories & descriptions... Keep 'em coming! :D

I am especially interested in the personality differences between the adult males & the adult females. Right now I am looking into a female BH Pi, but am keeping my options open - no rush :)

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Bebe is a 3 year old Bronze Wing hen and I have had her for 2 years. I bought her in September of 2010 and was told she hatched in August of 2009. I have had budgies and a cockatiel but she's my first "real" parrot. She has gone through different stages over the duration I have had her, in my experience she observes new situations quietly and takes time before she responds in typical Bebe fashion. In the beginning she started off submissive and meek but eventually gained an attitude and became what she considered ruler of the roost. She would call frequently and demanded attention. Nowadays she is more mature and confident to act in such a manner. Still after having her for as long as I have I learn new things about her and she exposes more of her personality. She is definitely "my" bird, she flies everywhere following me and loves nothing more than to sit on my shoulder while I rub her neck. She likes gently beaking my fingers and will hang on for me to pick her up. She also has no problem telling me where she wants scritches by scratching in the particular area, and will do a very slow deliberate pinpoint of where exactly it is located. She will allow me to touch her anywhere, and when she doesn't feel like being touched she will let me know by moving away or quickly giving my finger a gentle beak. Usually she will let you know if she doesn't want you around (most often if she's with me) by fluffing up and going on a tangent of "pionus cursing" (sounds like garbled, angry speech grumbling) while opening her beak. Other times she is more sneaky about it... (she does this to the dogs and my boyfriend) by calmly, almost without you noticing, making her way over to you acting as if she is doing nothing. Then once she gets close enough she will do the quick puff and try to take a nip at you, such a stinker but to me she is easy to read and any real conflicts are avoided. She loves hanging out while you are cooking, and believes everything there is meant for her. She will sit on top of the frig all happy and if you have something particularly tasty looking, she will fly over to your shoulder, and in some instances try to climb down your arm in order to get to the irresistable morsel you are handling. Once she landed in a full bowl of alfredo pasta I had. I've also noticed over time she has improved in talking ability and vocabularly, albeit it is not very clear and most of it I haven't been able to make out, but it is definitely her attempting to speak. She does do a passable "hellooo!" and "what's up?" and I'm almost certain "fooooOOOood!" is in there too, however whether the f is involved I cannot say for sure (but she does only say it when cooking is going on though). Sometimes when I put my finger up to her she will instead arch her neck for scritches, but usually after I give it to her she will step up for me. She absolutely loves showers and almost every time I take one I bring her with me. She does it in typical pionus fashion, spreading her wings and tail feathers while hanging over. She will drink the water coming down and just gets totally soaked, she didn't like it at first but she will tolerate the blow dryer now.

Overall I would say Bebe is the perfect parrot for me. She is sweet, cuddly but not overly so, amusing, entertaining, and easy to read. I think pionus take a long time to really open up to you but its so rewarding when they do, and they keep showing up with surprises. For one to trust you is truly a great experience. I am so glad I decided to bring this beautiful, unique bird into my life, and so what if nobody knows what she is? She is my little "fat parrot" and that's all that matters to me!! :)

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
A Pionus parrot is high up on my list as a possible addition to our family, so I don't know how I missed this thread!

I love hearing all of these stories & descriptions... Keep 'em coming! :D

I am especially interested in the personality differences between the adult males & the adult females. Right now I am looking into a female BH Pi, but am keeping my options open - no rush :)

I'm with you! Considering a Pi for some day. :)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Bebe is a 3 year old Bronze Wing hen and I have had her for 2 years. I bought her in September of 2010 and was told she hatched in August of 2009. I have had budgies and a cockatiel but she's my first "real" parrot. She has gone through different stages over the duration I have had her, in my experience she observes new situations quietly and takes time before she responds in typical Bebe fashion. In the beginning she started off submissive and meek but eventually gained an attitude and became what she considered ruler of the roost. She would call frequently and demanded attention. Nowadays she is more mature and confident to act in such a manner. Still after having her for as long as I have I learn new things about her and she exposes more of her personality. She is definitely "my" bird, she flies everywhere following me and loves nothing more than to sit on my shoulder while I rub her neck. She likes gently beaking my fingers and will hang on for me to pick her up. She also has no problem telling me where she wants scritches by scratching in the particular area, and will do a very slow deliberate pinpoint of where exactly it is located. She will allow me to touch her anywhere, and when she doesn't feel like being touched she will let me know by moving away or quickly giving my finger a gentle beak. Usually she will let you know if she doesn't want you around (most often if she's with me) by fluffing up and going on a tangent of "pionus cursing" (sounds like garbled, angry speech grumbling) while opening her beak. Other times she is more sneaky about it... (she does this to the dogs and my boyfriend) by calmly, almost without you noticing, making her way over to you acting as if she is doing nothing. Then once she gets close enough she will do the quick puff and try to take a nip at you, such a stinker but to me she is easy to read and any real conflicts are avoided. She loves hanging out while you are cooking, and believes everything there is meant for her. She will sit on top of the frig all happy and if you have something particularly tasty looking, she will fly over to your shoulder, and in some instances try to climb down your arm in order to get to the irresistable morsel you are handling. Once she landed in a full bowl of alfredo pasta I had. I've also noticed over time she has improved in talking ability and vocabularly, albeit it is not very clear and most of it I haven't been able to make out, but it is definitely her attempting to speak. She does do a passable "hellooo!" and "what's up?" and I'm almost certain "fooooOOOood!" is in there too, however whether the f is involved I cannot say for sure (but she does only say it when cooking is going on though). Sometimes when I put my finger up to her she will instead arch her neck for scritches, but usually after I give it to her she will step up for me. She absolutely loves showers and almost every time I take one I bring her with me. She does it in typical pionus fashion, spreading her wings and tail feathers while hanging over. She will drink the water coming down and just gets totally soaked, she didn't like it at first but she will tolerate the blow dryer now.

Overall I would say Bebe is the perfect parrot for me. She is sweet, cuddly but not overly so, amusing, entertaining, and easy to read. I think pionus take a long time to really open up to you but its so rewarding when they do, and they keep showing up with surprises. For one to trust you is truly a great experience. I am so glad I decided to bring this beautiful, unique bird into my life, and so what if nobody knows what she is? She is my little "fat parrot" and that's all that matters to me!! :)
She sounds lovely. And that you understand each other. You sound like a good parront.