• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How would compare or describe being a parrot owner versus

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
I own birds and a dog currently... However, 13 years ago when my husband & I met, he worked for a Reptile Rescue AND kept fish. He had a habit of bringing his "work" home with him. So we have fostered just about ANYTHING you could imagine from caymen crocadiles, snakes, lizards, sugar gliders etc. In my opinion, the pets that require the most knowledge and work are birds & exotic reptiles... Saltwater fish tanks can also be a great deal of work to properly maintain. We had a octopus once... He was a trip. We would wake up to find he had escaped and made his way to another tank across the room often to snack on fish. Dogs are relatively simple. My dog enjoys our daily 2 mile run, tug o war with the kids and food... Beyond that, she is content to just exist quietly in the background. But again, she is not a super energetic or needy breed. It so depends on breed. To be honest, all animals are work and not hobbies. The hobby part for me is researching about them, the lifelong learning curve involved with owning something so complex and sensitive that operates so differently

Glowbird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
My father was a farmer, so I've had all kinds of pets. What makes parrots different is that they go through so many developmental changes. In terms of personality and behavior, my cats don't change much. My zon has been through so many stages I've lost count, and he still has a lot of growing up to do. It's fascinating, gratifying, and sometimes frustrating. I keep the words "this too shall pass" in my head when we go through the rough spots. For a while, he was flying into my head and bumping me. Then he just stopped. I think parrots are more challenging and more rewarding.

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I'm getting the feeling that "hobby" is looked at as a derogatory term in this thread. I feel this is unfortunate because that is not the case in my mind. So, I decided to look around a bit and found some definitions of Aviculture on Wikipedia by two respected individuals. Both happen to use the word "hobby" in their explanations of what Aviculture means (Aviculture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):

There are various reasons that people get involved in aviculture. Some people breed birds to preserve a species. Some people breed parrots as companion birds, and some people breed birds to make a profit.

Aviculture The most modern accurate definition of the word Aviculture is given by Mr Michael A Wetherall. Aviculture is the practice of keeping birds (Class Aves) in captivity using controlled conditions, normally within the confines of an aviary, for Hobby, Research & conservation purposes.

Some important reasons for Aviculture are: breeding birds to preserve the species because many avian species are at risk due to Habitat destruction and Natural disaster. Aviculture encourages Conservation, provides Education about avian species and includes Research on avian behavior.

The truest meaning of aviculture, was described by Dr. Jean Delacour, the most dedicated, influential, and highly respected individual in the modern history of aviculture.

"Aviculture - The worldwide hobby of keeping and breeding numerous species of wild birds in captivity to maintain their numerical status in nature with a view of forestalling their extinction by supplying aviary raised stock"

I hope that pointing this out allows for more food for thought.

Last edited:

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
Chaucer and Bubbles are my hobbies, pets, companions, babies, kids, etc. They are just words used to signify my emotional attachment towards them.

Nevermores Mum

Real Name
Kacie
Kathy, Excellent Point! I dont think hobby is negative... To me, "hobby" is a term used to describe what I do with my "spare" time. My relationship with my birds is NOT the hobby, but learning all I can about them, and how to better serve them, is a hobby.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
The simple fact is we all have a tendency to over-analyse and over-complicate things. We all have a conflict of interest when it comes to answering questions like this...the answers we give are more likely to subjective rather than objective. You'd need to ask someone who doesn't keep birds to obtain an objective answer. Therefore, I would think among the general population the likely answer would be seen is that it's a hobby. I think this is where Sodakat was coming from.

I would think that there are just as many dog. cat, fish and reptile owners out there that are just as fanatical and obsessed about their passion as what we are with birds.
:)

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for sharing everyone. I have found it very interesting to read about every person's opinion and view. Thank you.:)

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I have had all the pets mentioned. I'm just a bird person. I have closer relationships to my birds than I could ever have with a dog or cat. This is because a relationship with a bird is based on MUTUAL trust and respect. I have never had to work towards a relationship with a dog or cat, they will go to pretty much anyone. But with a bird, you have to earn their trust. You have to work towards it and constantly work on keeping it. I've had lizards, snakes, fish, guinea pigs, a ferret, a hamster, flying squirrels, rats, rabbits, dogs, and cats and I have never felt as close to any of them as I have to my birds.