• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to use the Furminator Correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks to so many endorsements from YOU guys, I ordered the Furminator for my god cat Tuxedo (exotic persian) and had it delivered to his mom's house (my best friend).:p
Ordered it from here and the price and shipping to Canada fees were VERY good in my opinion.:) Even was able to use a 10% off promo code.
Value Pet Supplies | Puppy Pads, Bully Sticks, Frontline Plus, Greenies, Angel Eyes, Nylabone, Chews

Could you all tell me how to use this properly please. I know very little about this and I don't want her hurting my Tuxedo inadvertently.:heart:I really never met a nicer cat. He's a bundle of LOVE and I am not a cat person.

:p Apparently if not careful, one can hurt and irritate the cat's skin. Is that right?:huh:
Please tell me all that you know. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas everybody from my flock to yours.:hug8::heart:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love the furminator Saemma! I am a dog groomer and use it all the time. The thing to remember is to not dig into the coat. Keep your hand slanted so that the teeth are slightly raised from the skin. I always start at the rear of the animal and work my way up. The haunches, thighs, lower back. Then sides and spine. Neck, shoulders. Then the front of the neck, chest and then the belly. The thing with the furminator is, that no matter how much you brush you are always going to remove some fur. Most of the coat removed will be the undercoat that is very soft. I then take a regular brush and go over the cat a final time. Hope this helps.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I think it's just about not overdoing it. If you keep brushing the same spot over and over again, you'll probably still get a little fur to come out, so just knowing when to stop (which would be when you're not getting wads of fur anymore)...

If you do it like this video, you're probably not at risk for irritating the skin b/c you're only really getting the surface of the fur (but I think the longer strokes might pull a little and might be a little annoying to the cat - depends, some cats like it)

This technique will do a better job, but this is where you'd want to be careful not to push down too hard (so you don't irritate the skin), and to not keep going over the same area too much - I might only do half as much on the kitty (a sheltie has a lot more fur than a persian)- and you could probably just lift the fur off with your hand, rather than using another brush to pick it up

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
We go shoulders to rear in short strokes this time of year. Always listen to your cat. There is also a different feeling you will notice over time on the areas where you are getting a good amount of undercoat up.

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
I think the Furminator is a great product but don't actually use it since my dog needs his undercoat. I wouldn't worry about hurting the cat but I wouldn't use it too much. I would comb him first with a steel comb if it is possible. My dog, for all his fluff, is pretty low maintenance. I usually comb him thoroughly and then lightly brush him after.

Status
Not open for further replies.