• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures How to touch and pet an 5 years ringneck

Onur34

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Onur SOPACI
Hello to all greetings from Turkey.

I have a 5 years old male ringneck. He is with me since he was a baby. He was really scared and savage bird.

During 5 years we made a big progress together. He can now speak (telling his name), whistle, kissing, sing the anthem of the club I support, go back to his cage, plays with toys when asked, step up, Flying to me on command (recall) but I have a big problem:

- He does not allow me to touch or pet him. When ever I try he flies away or gets angry and tries to bite (normally he never do that)

Could you help me how to touch or pet him?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Touching and petting is a totally unnatural behaviour to a bird. It's only usually done between birds that are bonded and mating. Your birds sounds pretty happy the way things are.
but I have a big problem:
The problem is only in "your" head. There is no real problem.

Onur34

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Onur SOPACI
Dear John first of all many thanks for your response. You gave me another point of view. In fact I want to touch,scratch and him because I think that it will be steps some to hold him.

There are many reasons why I need to hold him:
Due to my work I need to travel a lot.
On week ends and holidays I don't want to let him alone in the house
I want to train him for the free flight so I could be obligation to put him an harness :(

So I need to hold him and put on his travel cage when I think that it's dangerous.

csnake91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
I agree with John, touching is pretty unnatural for birds, especially ringnecks. my Bowie believes I am her partner so she allows petting but not always. I have noticed that She does not let anyone else pet her unless she sees me interacting with them. I also noticed that petting her did not help when I was I was getting her to be more friendly.

Edit: she does let people she knows pet her even if I am not nearby.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
IRNs are normally a "non-touch" type of species. It's going to be a very difficult ...or next to impossible...to get your bird to tolerate petting or touching.
You seem to have a good relationship with your bird...even to the point of recall.

We had an IRN for 26 years. He was very friendly to everyone, but did not tolerate being touched...at all. We accepted that was the way he wanted it. We never touched him, except for AV visits and if there was an emergency...

Onur34

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Onur SOPACI
Hello to all. Thanks for the response I can understand very well what you are talking about I can also understand that these birds don't like to be touched. Anyway in life there are many things that I don't like too. As I said I don't want to keep him all his life in the house so for emergency or to put a harness I absolutley need to hold him sometimes.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If you work at it slowly at his pace he MAY decide at least a head scritch is nice but I bet that is as far as he'll tolerate. I've never had a ring neck so no clue what they like or don't but if he decides to trust you enough with time it might happen. If not I'd work with what he allows and maybe get a perch/stick he get on nicely for when you have to move him differently then he likes.
They all have their rules and some can be bent if they trust you enough, some are set in stone and will not be changed.
My first Maxi Nerd let me pick him up one handed gently, flip him over, rough house in a way he liked, but he hated having his feet touched, hated having his back or wings touched, loved head scratches, and also hated bare toes.
I played by his rules and he allowed me certain things no one else was allowed to do. Because of that he rarely bit and I always knew why when he did. He trusted and loved me in his own way and I tried to respect his wishes and dgnity. We were friends for 31 years.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My IRN is all all over me, loves to be scritched, petted, loved on.. am I a lucky one!?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My IRN is all all over me, loves to be scritched, petted, loved on.. am I a lucky one!?
You must be! Lol! My husband wanted an IRN but I talked him out of it since we already have Tuki (male plumhead) and he won't tolerate being touched (unless we're at the vet and he's nervous) I'm jealous! That's the reason I tried to convince him otherwise!

Onur34

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Onur SOPACI
You are absolutely lucky but it can't be explain only by luck. You are a perfect owner and your bird loves you. Please share your photos :)