• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to tell if your bird has a fever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveMyConure

Meeting neighbors
His beak seems a lot warmer then normal today. He's also been quite crabby lately so I think he doesn't feel good.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
and how are his poops? honestly, if you perceive he doesnt feel good, then he probably does not...off to the vets...better safe than sorry.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
I agree, don't wait, take him to the vets right away. I know it might just be oh he's okay but better be safe then sorry. Please keep us updated.

The Tuc

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erika
I go by the beak and feet, if they are warm then I usually put some apple cider vinegar (all organic) in their water and watch them.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
with a fever they will be all puffed up and looking sleepy. Will be huddling and not eating or drinking.
There is such a fine line between them being fine and then ill,if your gut feeling is telling you things are not right then you are usually right. Best to see a Vet as soon as possible as if they stop being able to fool you into thinking they are OK then they are worse than realised.
There is not much time to act sometimes so sooner is better than leaving it too late.:hug8:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Someone asked on another list years ago asked why birds don't get their temperature checked. The answer I believe was that birds don't maintain body temperature nearly as consistently as mammals do. It can vary by a couple degrees and there are sometimes species differences. Mine often feel like their beak or feet are warm. Usually because they've been sleeping with their feathers puffed up over their feet and their beak tucked under. Sometimes it just feels warm because I'm cold. I tend to go more on behavior than temperature. I look at poops, weight, food consumption and if they are fluffed up and sleeping more than usual or not.
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.