• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to tell if Indian or African Ringneck?

Indian or African?

• Indian

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • African

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Do you have a good profile headshot that we can see the size of the beak?

I would lean towards him being an IRN.

ARNs have a proportionally smaller and darker, plum-coloured beak compared to the larger, redder beaks of IRNs.

Here is a side-by-side comparison, African on the left, Indian on the right.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Not easy getting but this is best I can find.

His nose is a bit crustier than those in photos as he had low vitamin A when I rescued him...can't remember fancy name vet called it lol

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
He does look a lot like top right picture especially sometimes. That's the look he gives when he's excited about something.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you!

I'll need to change my theme song for him lol although recently I have been singing "Mojo the African Ringneck or maybe Indian I have no idea" so maybe he won't be too confused if call him an Indian Ringneck instead!

To be fair I was told originally before I saw him I was rescuing a cockatiel and even I knew he wasn't one of those!! Then they said maybe cockatoo then they came up with African Ringneck which at least it close.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
ARNs have a proportionally smaller and darker, plum-coloured beak compared to the larger, redder beaks of IRNs.
Spot on.

My guess is that Mojo is a handsome IRN...;)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thank you!

I'll need to change my theme song for him lol although recently I have been singing "Mojo the African Ringneck or maybe Indian I have no idea" so maybe he won't be too confused if call him an Indian Ringneck instead!

To be fair I was told originally before I saw him I was rescuing a cockatiel and even I knew he wasn't one of those!! Then they said maybe cockatoo then they came up with African Ringneck which at least it close.
Oh my gawsh!!!! :rofl::hehe::rofl::coffeescreen::hehe:

Yes, he's definitely an IRN! And that's the "story" of my ARN! Except, I was told she was a canary winged parakeet at first.... then some sort of Poicephalus (senegal, meyers, etc). I'm thinking, okay, we went from a cute little South American Parrot to a short, stocky African parrot?!?!?! What the heck kind of bird is this? And then I saw her.... Without a doubt in my mind, I *knew* she was an african ringneck! Even then, I had people telling me that she must be a young indian ringneck! Nope!

Then again, I also have a 24 year old mitred conure. His foster mom thought he was a cherry head, as did everyone else! The vets didn't say otherwise! And to this day, ~12 years after adopting him, people still think he's a cherry head! That would be like calling a jenday conure a sun. Uhm... no? :rolleyes:

He's gorgeous, btw! :)

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Here is a pic of my younger male ARN. The beak is smaller and quite dark maroon. Also when the ring comes in the black under the chin is wider that with the IRN. Yours looks like an IRN to me and I have both.
Moto face.jpg

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you! That is what I hoped that people who know Indian and Africans would be able to tell what he is...as hard to tell off Google. And hard to compare the two if you don't actually have any to compare him too! lol As being told one is like green one is another type of green...well I'm rubbish at art so rubbish at colours lol

He's currently trying to figure out how to ring the RSPCA on me as he went to vet yesterday for a nostril clear out AND I ran out of his favourite food. Poor Mojo. lol

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Maybe this will help on the color on the left is a green IRN and on the right is a green ARN. As you can see the ARN is a much brighter iridescent lime green while the IRN is more of a muted mint green. The ARN are a lot more vibrant. I guess all is fair since green is the only color for ARN, while IRN has so many beautiful colors.

GabbyMoto.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Denice Any possible chance you could get your ARN next to a green IRN with as much natural light as possible?

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
@Denice Any possible chance you could get your ARN next to a green IRN with as much natural light as possible?
Sorry I can't do that, the ARN doesn't care for handling and the two I have that are green do not get along. The green female IRN is paired with my gray IRN, she doesn't really accept any other birds.