• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to teach lying on back. Any suggestions?

JPix

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
Hello, All!

I'm trying to teach my too, Kai to lie on his back. I don't want to scare him or loose his trust.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
How long do you had him?
It took me over a year for Eloy to trust me enough so I can lay him on his back.
I would say that to lay on his back it's not a trick, it's a thing they do out of trust when they self wanted it.
And yes you can force it, but they will never feel comfortable with it.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
What Elroy said. Kalea will lay on her back and get her tummy kissed but if I tried that with Jody or Donovan I would be missing fingers and would not be foolish to even attempt it with them.

You need to really get to know a bird and go from there.

JPix

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks Amy, JT and Reneé! We'll take that one slow.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If Kai will allow it, you can gently place your hand on his back then reward. Do several repetitions of this, then introduce a slight tilt of the hand he's on towards the hand that's on his back. Pause for just a slight moment, return to "start", reward. Repeat several times. Then tilt a little further, pause, return to "start", and repeat. Make sure he remains comfortable at all times. :)

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
sweetie does nothing but lay on her back :)

you could try two sticks when they grab on with one gently lift move her, roll over and offer the other stick as a distraction then when on back already has 2 toys

JPix

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
Monica and Andrea, thanks so much for the tips! I really appreciate it. I'll definitely take it slow, but just wondered how to go about it. Kai is really laid back and never hesitates to let me Handle him. I just want to be careful not to lose that trust by doing something that may frighten him.
The suggestions will really help!:thankyou:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I doubt I went about it the right way with Lucy, but I just put her on her back one night in my lap and let her immediately grab my finger with her feet and picked her up.
Started doing this at least a couple of times a day for the last 5 weeks and progressively did it more each day. Now she just rolls down my stomach and gets on her back and waits for me to tickle her. Its taken time, but she actually likes it now and its a big game for us.

JPix

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
Kenny, that's so cute! Sounds like she enjoys herself so you must have done something right!

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Yeah whats that old saying, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes lol