• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to teach him drink water

iDarK_PLayeR

Meeting neighbors
hey everyone

so my tiel is finally weaned he eats by him self , except he does not drink water at all

i had to hand-feed him formula with a little extra water so he doesn't get dehydrated
i try giving him fruits that has water in it like orange cucumber and watermelon but he doesn't eat them at all

any advice?

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I'm not sure. Perhaps you can try letting him view youtube or videos of other tiels eating and drinking water?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are you using a regular water bowl?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Tiels only drink a very small amount of water in a day. I hardly ever see my tiels drink, so my guess is he’s drinking, but you just don’t see him. Maybe splash a bit in the water bowl to entice him. As a general rule, tiels don’t like fruit, especially wet fruit. What do his droppings look like?

iDarK_PLayeR

Meeting neighbors
I'm not sure. Perhaps you can try letting him view youtube or videos of other tiels eating and drinking water?
well he know how to drink and eat but he does not drink water

Are you using a regular water bowl?
the cage i bought has two plastic feeders (I assume one for food and one for water) and i put bird water feeder but i never seen him drink from it

Tiels only drink a very small amount of water in a day. I hardly ever see my tiels drink, so my guess is he’s drinking, but you just don’t see him. Maybe splash a bit in the water bowl to entice him. As a general rule, tiels don’t like fruit, especially wet fruit. What do his droppings look like?
I dont know how a regular dropping should look like but when i was hand-feed him his dropping was very watery with little solid but now its very solid with no water