• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to stop Larry wanting to mate

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Do you ever pet her anywhere other than her head?
How many hours of sleep does she get each night?
Is Larry your only bird?

LarryThelovie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashton
Do you ever pet her anywhere other than her head?
How many hours of sleep does she get each night?
Is Larry your only bird?
I pet her on her head and it used to be only when my hand was anywhere near her back but now it’s whenever she feels like it , yes Larry is the only bird

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
LOL remove any form of temptation and make the sleep time longer. I get what you are going through. Went through it for 14 years with both of mine and trying to have your coffee when they are making whoopie with their toys is not my idea of morning conversation lol. Put her to bed earlier and it should help. Also look for any toys she might be overly fond of. Also change up her cage as well it throws things off and don't let her find any nesting places.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hormone surges in birds is pretty much controlled by the hours of light. If we lessen the light hours by putting the bird "to bed" at least one or 2 hours earlier the theory is the hormones surges will be lessened.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I don't have any advice other than what's been stated but just wanted to say that that picture is absolutely adorable! :xflove:

My bird tries to mate with me alot too. I just calmly put him down somewhere else and he tries again. it's almost a game to him at this point. But eventually he gives up when I keep putting him somewhere else.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Larry really IS a lovie! Literally, and figuratively... so cute!

LarryThelovie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashton
LOL remove any form of temptation and make the sleep time longer. I get what you are going through. Went through it for 14 years with both of mine and trying to have your coffee when they are making whoopie with their toys is not my idea of morning conversation lol. Put her to bed earlier and it should help. Also look for any toys she might be overly fond of. Also change up her cage as well it throws things off and don't let her find any nesting places.
I definitely need to do all this

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My Sergei goes thru periods of being "friendly" too. He doesn't go for toys but me! He rides around on my shoulder when ever I'm doing anything where he won't get hurt. When he starts rubbing I set him down, but then acts like I just broke up with him...yelling, screaming, etc. When he calms down I let him back up. This pattern goes on for a week or so. Then a couple months later we repeat the pattern. Lucy is a major tease but won't let Sergei get near her. So I'm guessing that his behavior is directly related to her!

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Larry is so cute! With her pretty wings!

I have a weird theory about my lovie. She sleeps for 13 sometimes 14 hours now that it gets colder. But she still does her little 'dance'. Now here comes the weird part: She used to have a snuggle hut outside of the cage (I know, I threw it out, I didn't know the dangers then) it was blue. Whenever I get a shower she is no longer interested in the water part, but getting fresh with my BLUE bathrobe. And today and yesterday a wore my BLUE adidas jacket, and there was the dance again on my shoulders.
She did the dance before, but could it be that she finds blue very... 'pretty'?

And on the advice part... I have nothing. I'm just as (maybe more) unexperienced as you are. But... at least she likes you :joyful:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
So how are things on the Larry front as of lately? Still getting advances from fluffer butt?

LarryThelovie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashton
So how are things on the Larry front as of lately? Still getting advances from fluffer butt?
Larry seems so have stopped now since I’ve took the hut out of her cage although on a rare occasion she will do it but only for a second or two :)