• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to stop landing on cage?

Keltys

Meeting neighbors
I have a Maccaw, 2 quakers, and a GCC.

One of the quakers and the GCC are prone to flying to the other birds' cages.

One of my quakers doesn't take kindly to this. Until very recently its just led to squabbles, but lately its gotten worse and in the past 2 months has led to two relatively serious injuries.

Have any of you prevented this behavior successfully?

My current plan is to build a plexiglass cover for the aggressive bird's cage. It would logistically be tough to move her to a different room, and the only other solution seems to be rehoming her.

Keltys

Meeting neighbors
To give more context, if another bird lands on her cage she gets aggressive. In the case of the GCC, she gets extremely aggressive and launches herself at his toes.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
It’s easy to put plexiglass over the top. I have otherwise affixed plexiglass using heavy duty velcro tape, but I’d imagine you could drill holes and bolt it on with washers, too.

I would get thin pieces cut to the size of the cage sides and drill holes for hanging by bolts or even zip ties.

I had a poop-shooting Quaker and for a while her cage was wrapped in heavy clear vinyl (from shower curtain) held on by heavy zip ties. The only problem was that it got spotted as it was wiped off and became less clear. I’d imagine plexiglass would work better.

Keltys

Meeting neighbors
It’s easy to put plexiglass over the top. I have otherwise affixed plexiglass using heavy duty velcro tape, but I’d imagine you could drill holes and bolt it on with washers, too.

I would get thin pieces cut to the size of the cage sides and drill holes for hanging by bolts or even zip ties.

I had a poop-shooting Quaker and for a while her cage was wrapped in heavy clear vinyl (from shower curtain) held on by heavy zip ties. The only problem was that it got spotted as it was wiped off and became less clear. I’d imagine plexiglass would work better.
I like the vinyl idea as a backup! Im so glad neither of my quakers are poop shooters haha

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
All of my cages have acrylic sheets on top. I have flat box style cages. The home improvement stores already sold pre cut sheets in the exact size I needed! Tho you can never custom cut.

The other way I prevent , is all cages foird are shizz when birds are out. So no bird can climb on a cage while someone is inside.

It's pretty instinctive to protect cage. Those kind of hard wired behavior are difficult to change. Preventing is best. However you choose, have a cage room then a different room for out birds. Or all birds out with nine next in cage

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
All cage doors are shut when birds are out? @Pixiebeak
The other way I prevent , is all cages foird are shizz when birds are out. So no bird can climb on a cage while someone is inside.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We have a few members who use plexiglass on the top of their cages and some who have curtains dividing the room their birds use.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think I recall the raptor center had hanging strips of vinyl, kind of like the clear vinyl shower curtain, to separate flight areas from other areas. Am guessing they were between 6” and 10” wide. I’m not sure how you would hang this unless you hung the whole shower curtain from a rod near the ceiling and then cut the strips. Also these strips might have overlapped a bit. I just remember it was like a bead curtain effect of clearish flexible plasticky or vinyl stuff hanging down from the ceiling; mostly to annoy the birds to keep in their flight area away from the door.

That would work for me to keep my birds out of my kitchen! I haven’t done a tension rod and curtain because that would make my living room dark.