• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to safely travel with my budgies?

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
I'm going to be leaving for an eleven day vacation in around two weeks, and I cannot bring my birds with me. I am going to be leaving them at my friend's house, and he's completely trustworthy and listens to everything I say to do with my birds.

The ride from my house to his is not very long. It's around ten minutes, but, as I live out in the country, some roads get pretty bumpy.

Is there anything I should do to make sure my birds stay as safe as possible on this little drive? They'll be in their cage and I was thinking I could place a blanket over the cage so that they won't get too startled by things around them. They are not tame, so I cannot take them out and hold them on my fingers as we go. As far as I know, I'm going to be sitting in the back of the car with the cage, making sure it stays as steady as possible and making sure the blanket stays on them.

Will this be alright for a ten minute drive?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If possible, I would remove anything that can swing around and hit them on the car ride. Take out any swings, take down hanging toys and attach them to the side of the cage instead or remove them altogether and replace them at your friend's house.
A sheet over the cage may help calm them, just be sure it lets light through since you want them to be able to see their perches easily.
Also, if it's a big flight cage, it would be a little safer if you can transport them in a small cage where there isn't room for them to try to fly if startled. But since they aren't tame, it probably isn't worth the stress of grabbing them to put into the small cage. If you can manage to coax them into going into the smaller cage voluntarily, then that's the safest way to transport them.

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
If possible, I would remove anything that can swing around and hit them on the car ride. Take out any swings, take down hanging toys and attach them to the side of the cage instead or remove them altogether and replace them at your friend's house.
A sheet over the cage may help calm them, just be sure it lets light through since you want them to be able to see their perches easily.
Also, if it's a big flight cage, it would be a little safer if you can transport them in a small cage where there isn't room for them to try to fly if startled. But since they aren't tame, it probably isn't worth the stress of grabbing them to put into the small cage. If you can manage to coax them into going into the smaller cage voluntarily, then that's the safest way to transport them.
Thank you. I will be sure to take out their toys. Unfortunately, I don't have a smaller travel cage...but my cage isn't huge and can be carried. I attached a photo of what their cage looks like.

Attachments

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I used to travel with my parakeets every year to see my family for Christmas....they did great. Packed the car with kids, gifts and 2 parakeets. Since the ride you are taking is minutes away, I agree to take the toys down that may swing around. I tie a piece of shredder onto the bars next to the perch to keep their interest. For 10 minutes you don't need to put water and food. I also suggest buckling the seatbelt around the cage. So many people don't think about that and the first time you might have to slam the brakes the cage might tumble. I didn't drape the entire cage....just the top so they could see me and feel more comfortable

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
I used to travel with my parakeets every year to see my family for Christmas....they did great. Packed the car with kids, gifts and 2 parakeets. Since the ride you are taking is minutes away, I agree to take the toys down that may swing around. I tie a piece of shredder onto the bars next to the perch to keep their interest. For 10 minutes you don't need to put water and food. I also suggest buckling the seatbelt around the cage. So many people don't think about that and the first time you might have to slam the brakes the cage might tumble. I didn't drape the entire cage....just the top so they could see me and feel more comfortable
I'm glad to hear this. I will put a seatbelt around their cage to prevent tumbling. Thanks!