• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to quiet the singing

Fataliny

Checking out the neighborhood
I got a new canary a week ago and he's very vocal. From dawn (even under his cover, he knows) to about 1pm he's singing. Almost to the point of screeching. He only let's up for about 15 seconds between songs for the first two hours. After that it dims and is more infrequent. How do I get him to be like that always?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am not entirely sure, but if they are anything like parrots that is just the way it is. You could try giving him serveral toys and easy foraging Maybe? Perhaps hanging leafy greens?

@finchly could help you a lot more!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes giving him something to do is a good idea. And you need more darkness to quiet him in the morning. But he won’t completely stop; they sing to find a mate!
If he’s young he will quiet down in a few months. I find the young ones practice more.
I’m surprised you don’t like it. Most people want theirs to sing more! What type of canary is it?
The only solution is to put a female with him. You can toss eggs to keep from having babies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
He sounds bored and lonely. Have you thought about adding a female. In her own cage ofcourse.

And toys. Even canaries need toys. He may also need a larger cage.
They enjoy flying.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They enjoy flying
This is true. I have 2 young males, one comes out and flies around all day and the other stays in the cage. The one in the cage sings at least 10 times more.

If you put a female in a different cage and he likes her, he might actually sing more!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I know when I had my two boys they would not sing much when allowed to fly. Except when they would occasionally chase the other boy and sing while doing so. They weren't ever aggressive to each other and slept next to each other .

The only time I ever sing canaries sing "too much" is when they're in those tiny ridiculous "canary/parakeet" cages. They're so depressed so they sing. People find it beautiful but I find it heartbreaking to see them turn in circles frantically looking for a way out and sing.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I see! I hadn’t thought about that. :(

Yours sound really sweet. I briefly took in 6 red ones (nursed them back to good health and rehomed) . They arrived in small cages but that’s not how we do things here. So I didn’t see that behavior. There were 2 males and a hen together in one cage, which is not recommended but they were very sweet and didn’t fight.

Adam21

Strolling the yard
I got a new canary a week ago and he's very vocal. From dawn (even under his cover, he knows) to about 1pm he's singing. Almost to the point of screeching. He only let's up for about 15 seconds between songs for the first two hours. After that it dims and is more infrequent. How do I get him to be like that always?
Ours was that way too, he would sing very early and chirp on purpose to get my attention. They do it to find a mate but also for their own pleasure and to mark their territory basically. Some people say they aren't social birds but that isn't true by what I've observed. He was sad often and wanted interaction with another canary preferably a female. So I got him one and he was very happy and when he had his first clutch of eggs he woke up puffed up and very happy. When the males puff up like that and sound really cute, it means they are happy. He singed less but know that he has kids and a couple boys who sing a lot now he does it a lot now too but not as much as before. It's more because the other boys are singing in his periphery.

Get him a mate and some chewing toys which they love. I have the couple in a parrot cage in which they have been having more fun with the extra space.