• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to pair lovebirds together (not for breeding)

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Just a curious question, every time I see another lovebird for sale I really want one but their noise level is annoying xDD But anyways, I was curious i dont want any breeding purposes, but i felt like maybe one day my tame lovebird would maybe like a buddy. Can they be two males or do two males get aggressive with each other? Mine is still young he's about 4mos old. Also will he stop being tame if I give him a buddy? and how do you pair them together in a cage without them fighting/like getting use to them?

these are all curious questions not sure i am actually getting a second one, i still really want a tame parrotlet XD :heart:

maddie

Real Name
Malene
We had one handfed young female lovebird first, waited 4 months, then we got a young male. They are not a bonded pair, but they accept each other as part of our flock.

They mate from time to time in a 'let's get it over with' kinda fashion, but no cuddling, not preening, no love. They sleep in separate sleeping bags at night, and when she is nesting and raising her chick, they are in separate cages. He is NOT allowed near her nestbox and we keep them separate, but in cages next to each other, for his safety.

We had hoped they would bond, in that cute cuddly fashion famous among lovebirds, but I guess we have to be grateful they are at least not fighting. The seem okay with being in the same flock (counting two birds and two humans), so if they are separated they will call out for each other.

My point is that you may introduce a buddy for your lovebird, but there is no guarantee that they will accept each other or even become a love match. Males tend to be less aggressive, but I don't know if two males will actually live together. I have no experience. Maybe someone else may share information on that.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why is the male separate when there are chicks? I really do not know much about lovebirds.

maddie

Real Name
Malene
Why is the male separate when there are chicks? I really do not know much about lovebirds.

Because they are not bonded. Sally is just using Tequila for sex.
Pardon my french, but that's what it comes down to, really...

Once he's done his business, he is no longer wanted, and she'll even be a bit aggressive towards him. So he moves to a separate (neighboring) cage for his safety.

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
I think most animals do great with same-species companionship, even if they're not bonded or caged together. In fact, I would recommend that they not be caged together in case of fighting, but they can still benefit from having the company of another bird to see and hear, especially when you're not around. It's hit or miss whether or not the birds will stay tame, but as long as you're consistent with socializing and providing both birds sufficient one-on-one time with you, there is no reason they can't be both tame and content with another bird.

Some people find, especially if they cage birds together, that if they do bond they end up more preoccupied wanting to interact with the other bird over the human. I have two lovebirds who are more interested in other birds (they used to be bonded with a mate), but still like having me around, and one lovebird who has always been single who clings to me but still likes running around and greeting the other birds. They're all caged separately, and in my case, I can't let them out of their cages at the same time or they'll fight (all hens).

Angie8506

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angie
this is my fear as i am in teh process of getting my lovebird a new friend, or friends ;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What your asking is how do I "arrange" a successful forever marriage between two strangers. Simply you can't. It's luck of the draw.

And a concern here is that lovebirds commonly are known to be aggressive, vicious and capable of killing each other.

Angie8506

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angie
oh dear, :( so how would i go about adding to our feathered family...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well the general rule is prepare as much as you can. Be ready to change the environment and the way you do things. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Nobody said having parrots was easy or smooth. :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
This "vicious" idea of intruducing lovebirds to one another is stupid. If you pair up two birds who do not know one another in a cage, of course they are going to disagree and fight. The prior resident bird is going to defend his food and territory and the newbie has no choice except to fight to survive. Moral of the story? Do not put a stranger bird into another bird's cage. However, if you want a flock of two or more of the same species, when you obtain the new bird, also obtain a cage just for the new bird. Set the two birds side by side. Let them get to know one another through the bars. Then let them out at the same time and give them opportunites to interact. Within 30 to 60 days they will either bond or just decide to be friends from afar. For me, this has never failed. And I have built small flocks of lovebirds, budgies, cockatiels, canaries and doves with this technique.In my experience, it mimics the way wild birds join wild flocks.

As far as finding a bonded mate for a bird, I have had NO luck with Sunshine Senegal. I have looked and looked, taken an option on cock Senegals four times and Sunny has eventually attacked and rejected every one of the cocks. I have finally accepted she does not want a bird mate; she wants me and only me. Sunny was an incubator raised chick, 100% human hand fed and never interacted with another bird until she was two months old and able to join a multi-species creche. My conculsion is that Sunny is human "imprinted" and not at all interested in living a bird life with a mate and a flock.

Gracie, my first cockatiel, despite being an incubator bird and 100% hand fed, accepted the first cock I brought home to her. I gave him is own cage until he and Grace began to shack up together and then they surprised the heck out of me by giving me grand-birds. Not all incubator birds are exclusively into humans. Sunny just happens to be one. Gracie was not. Use the separate cage introduction method with whatever opposite gender bird you buy and wait for the hormones to flow during mating season. I have found the hormones make it easier to bond the hen and cock, as the mating imperative makes them decide to use "the one your with".

Hope some of this info helps.

cadethelovie

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi. I have a female lovebird who is with me from the past 3 months. I really want to know how to introduce a male to the female. Also, I had gotten a female lovebird thinking mine was a male and the ended up fighting. Noone got hurt but my lovebird was continously attacking her. If I introduce a male will they be a good pair? And if they would be okay. How do I introduce the male?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Post #7 Did you read this entire thread?

What your asking is how do I "arrange" a successful forever marriage between two strangers. Simply you can't. It's luck of the draw.

And a concern here is that lovebirds commonly are known to be aggressive, vicious and capable of killing each other.

Birds are individuals just like people. No one can choose your friends (or mates) for you. They like who they like and hate who they hate.

Female lovebirds are well known to be vicious and territorial (and will kill their mates). A captive situation just amplifies those problems.

Some birds just can’t live with others in a captive environment. It’s too unnatural and usually involves a too small environment.

So these expectations you have may not be realistic. You don’t even really know your bird because it’s only been 3 months (not even one full season) and your bird is not an adult.

Please start a new thread with your question so it receives proper views. This is a very old thread and it’s buried at the bottom.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Yes.......separate cages........appropriate quarantine in another room, then they can be in cages next to each other and get to know one another. Next you can have supervised play dates while you are there to watch them. John is correct in that Lovebirds want to be able to choose their own partner and if they don't like your choice........it could get bloody.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The answer to your question may lie in the first paragraph.

5 Things You Gotta Know About Lovebirds - Petcha

Lawrence Oei, a lovebird enthusiast who owns 70 lovebirds, is a member of the Belgian Lovebird Association, and runs a Facebook page for all of his birds, said, “The single biggest misconception is that you need two of them to make them happy, and the next biggest one is that they mate for life. It is actually quite easy to pair them up with other lovebirds, the key being you introduce a female to a male in an established cage.”

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
the key being you introduce a female to a male in an established cage.”

When I read this I think he is saying the female is introduced to a male in the male's cage. So this would mean you need a male Lovebird for a while (6 months or more) to establish his territory in a different cage than hers. not necessarily right next to her in her cage. Does this make sense to you?

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
It is a misconception that lovebirds need a mate. Depends how much time and attention you want to spend with the bird. I only had 1 male lovebird and he was my Velcro bird. I do have other parrots so he wasn't "alone". It is true that females can and do kill mates, so a separate cage would be necessary until they decide on their own if they want a mate. If they get along and mate, it won't be long before you have many lovebirds.