• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to not breed

andi

Moving in
I have a mated pair of green cheek conures, and this year my partner and I don't want to breed them. How do we manage this when the birds are in mating season? We have deterred them as much as we can, their is no nesting box, the mamma is still producing eggs. They want to nest. Am I causing more stress on the parents by not giving them a box or will they eventually switch out of mating season? Am I doing more harm in not letting them sit on a clutch? She has laid about 16 or so eggs in the past month and a half. They will continue to mate and lay eggs she laid eggs last year up until late March. I feel so bad for the mamma she just wants her nest. Any advice is helpful. Thank so much!

Attachments

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Swap the real eggs with fakes, or boil them to render them sterile.

Do not remover them straight up, mum will. Just replace them

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
See a avian vet for possible depo shot if she weighs enough.

andi

Moving in
Thank you for the reply. Good idea Jas about putting a fake or boiled egg. Usually I remove the egg after a day of her laying it, i will replace the next egg she pops put and see where that gets me. Will she just decide it's not good conditions for the egg, since she's in a cage and not a nest? If I leave the egg in with here will she want to guard it for the whole incubation period? Thanks to rocky's mom, I'm sure she weighs enough.. the photo I have of the bird on the scale is her baby from last year she was a few months old in the picture.