• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to make safe your birds and their cage smoke free?

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone,
Yeah I know its been long since I'm away from this forum. Right now I'm so much confused about what to do. Remember I got A&E double bird flight cage after y'all suggested me that. I couldn't transfer my birds to their new home because of 2 reasons. 1) that my aunt got so much sick as she was in the hospital for good 1 month and then passed away from last stage of cancer (My family and I've been visiting her and helping her and her family for that whole 1 month march, 2017). 2) That I don't know how I can make my birds and their cage safe from cooking smoke and I couldn't decide what or how to do that so that's why I couldn't transfer them to their big new home. Their cage is in our living room which is on the left hand if you enter our apt and then on the right hand is our small dining area and then next to it is kitchen where all the cooking happens. Please help me out if possible that what can we do to make them and their cage smoke free completely so then I wouldn't need to sell their beautiful home? If we couldn't find a good way to make their home smoke free then I'll have to sell their pretty gorgeous home and buy them the single version of that cage so I could move their cage to my room when there's cooking in the kitchen. I can't move this double flight bird cage to any other room because of it's width and because we live in apt. So please help me out. There should be a way to make their cage smoke free and still keep that cage. In the beginning I was dropping the idea of getting double flight cage just because of this problem and not knowing what to do about it but my siblings weren't agreeing with me so I got that double flight cage. If anyone can give me the possible best way/idea to keep them safe then it'll be awesome as my siblings and I won't be able to see that beautiful cage go away. :'( :(:(:crycry::sad11:
Thanks in advance.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Why is there smoke when you are cooking?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
No teflon coated pots or pans as it releases highly toxic fumes when heated.
Suggest to invest in a good air purifier as well.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They might mean fumes from teflon rather than smoke.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why is there smoke? Dump any teflon pans. Put on the over the range fan while you are cooking. I assume that there is one. Get an air purifier. If that doesn't resolve things then you will need to move your birds so they are not near the kitchen. Do realize, though, that smoke does travel.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
If there is actual smoke when you cook you might be burning something. Ditch the Teflon. Get ceramic if you can. Look at a thrift store. I found a set just like new for $5. If you have a window nearby, open it and put a fan in the window pointing outside to direct the smoke or fumes outdoors. Open another window in the other end of the room to help with airflow.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Did you mean actual smoke or just cooking smells? My birds cages are about 20' from my kitchen. As already mentioned, no teflon, no self cleaning ovens, run an air purifier, and don't burn anything.

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
Cooking smell basically but you know when the pan gets too hot accidently like we put a pan on stove and turn on the stove let it warm before we make Rotis (asian idian/pakistani food please google that so you would know how we make it but it is like homemade tortillas) so that happens only when we accidently put the pan on stove's high setting). Also we're asian so we cook spicy food everyday and there's onion that we fry in the light cooking oil using pans or pots to like onion turns brown so when we do that sometimes your eye burns and we fry green chili or some spices too in cooking oil so I think that will be dangerous for our little feathered friends. Don't you think so? Our eye's doesn't burns always though happens only when we cook Biryani or Korma. We don't use teflon pans though. We cook in very good material big pots that you won't see in USA. Here's the link for the reference to what kind of pots we use for everyday cooking: Silver Deghcha with Handle and Cap - Silver Degchi Set - SILVER COOCKWARE The material in our country is called German Silver as it never burns and is very thick good material. Also do you guys think that making tortillas on ceremic pans will be ok? Like the flour or tortilla won't get sticky on ceramic surface? I would say I'm worried about spice's smell for everyday. There's big or enough distance from our kitchen to living room but yes I do agree that smell or smoke travels as that's the reason I asked for help here. If you want to know the exact distance then I'll happy to tell you that but it'll be tomorrow I guess. Ok I was reading an article for bird safe environment and find that I meant to say/write "Fumes" not "Smoke". Sorry guys for making you'all confused as I was blank about what is that word in english and just figured that out now. Thanks everyone. Truely appreciate your help. :)

Last edited:

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
We don't use self-cleaning ovens at all. Will be getting fan soon. Have only one window that's in our kitchen.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Do you have a long dresser? You can remove the cage and put it on top or mount the cage to the wall above things.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
A good machine like a Rabbit or an Austin might be in order, too.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Maybe get a fan running, above the stove and away from the stove, open a window and direct any and all smoke and fumes out of the apartment. :)