• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to make a nervous Lovie become...

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Calmer? Baylee have been very nervous for a while...ever since Hannah (Kiwi's mom) attacked her in 2012, i had to rehome Hannah because Baylee was so scared of her that some days she wouldnt eat or drink water. Hannah bombarded Baylee & wouldnt LET her eat or drink water.. It took Baylee 4 months to realize Hannah was gone but still to this day Baylee still eats like If someone will steal her food. :depressed: Its been 2 years since Baylee was attacked by Hannah. Maybe she suffers from PTSD? Or anxiety?

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
I'm sorry, I wish I had some advice for you but I never experienced this problem. Bumping this for now.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Forgot to Add that at the time of the attacks Baylee was barely around 10-11 months old...

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Birds have awesome memories, just love Baylee & be gentle....crossing fingers for you.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Birds have awesome memories, just love Baylee & be gentle....crossing fingers for you.
Even after 2 years ? She remembers the attacks? :unsure1:my poor baby girl! :( I guess thats why she is very nervous most of the time.I want her to be calmer like she was before the attacks.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Is there any way you can cover the sides of the cage (if her dishes are in a corner) so that she can't see anyone coming towards her? If she can't see movement, maybe she'll slowly start to feel a bit more secure.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Is there any way you can cover the sides of the cage (if her dishes are in a corner) so that she can't see anyone coming towards her? If she can't see movement, maybe she'll slowly start to feel a bit more secure.
The dishes are on the bottom of her cage. She have a vision cage model M01.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Have you tried locking crock types? She may want to be somewhere where she feels less vulnerable.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Locking crock types? Is that a type of food bowl?

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Has she been in the same cage the entire time or is she in a different kind of cage now as compared to before?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Move the bowls up higher so she can watch and see what is around and not be ambushed. Changing the scenario can change the behavior

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Any possibility you could change cages for her? Is she still in the cage she was attacked in?

I had a pair of cockatiel babies, a brother (Jessie), and a sister (Tasha). They were kept in the same cage and were being hand tamed by a friend. When they became sexually mature, the brother suddenly plucked his sister bare of about 80% of her feathers and left her bloody and beaten on the floor of the cage. I immediately took Jessie out of the cage and Tasha to the vet. Vet said the cock bird wanted to mate and the hen refused and the cock beat her because she could not get away from him in the cage.

I left the cock bird with my friend for more hand training and took Tasha home; again I kept her in the cage she had shared with Jessie: thinking she would be more comfortable in a cage she thought of as home. Tasha would not eat, would not move around the cage and cowered in the bottom of the cage all the time. After three days I called the vet. Dr Stern recommended putting her in a different cage, placing all food and water on the floor and covering the back and two sides of the cage as well as the top. Within 12 hours Tasha began eating and subsequently recovered completely... Except she never felt comfortable around any cock bird ever again for the thirteen years she lived. I had to keep her in with two other hens and never with a cock; if I put a cock in the cage with her, she plucked herself bare and stopped eating. Tasha was an egg factory; she laid at least one egg a month, mating season or not: and she sat on them constantly throughout her entire life.

I think she was happy. She enjoyed playing mom with her eggs and interacting with her two half-sisters. She liked people and liked to sit on my head after getting her treat for the day. I miss Tasha now she is gone; she was a gentle soul.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Yes she has been on the same cage she was attacked. Never thought of that :banghead: Baylee is like Tasha she cant be with other females cause she gets attacked. They want to mate and she got attacked 3 times by Hannah then 1 time by Juliette :( Juliette was a female that we thought was male so we decided to see if they could have babies ( nothing happened for 3 weeks) until one day i Came Home from work and Baylee was covered in blood. I rushed and wrapped Baylee in a towell stupid Juliette attacked a blood feather :bored: :( And my baby just stood there watching her she didnt defend herself at all. o_OI will have to switch Baylee with Kiwi. I have even thought that Maybe Baylee is a very confused HE and females knows is a HE but attack him cause they get frustrated cause he doesnt know what to do. :wideyed:

Last edited:

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
So switched Baylee to Kiwi's cage & Kiwi to Baylee's cage! And Baylee is acting like If she has always been in that cage. Right away she groomed herself & calmly ate Some pieces of apple! :dance4: :laughing12: Even calmly ate her pellets! :D :dancing: I even think her low weight is because of her anxiety she has passed 2 years weighting 40-45 grs the vet have checked her & said she is healthy 100%. The vet doesnt believe birds get nervous or anxious she thinks im humanazing Baylee :wideyed: o_O

So Maybe it is because of the anxiety & nervousness she eats small amounts of food enough to survive but not to gain weight and that i discovered it thanks to AA :laughing12: not thanks to my vet. We will see in time If Baylee begins to gain weight her actual weight is 42.5 grs. She should be at 50 grs Instéad i believe.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Laurel Feather Cat elaborated on what I was thinking! :) My next thought was what Sadieladie1994 mentioned!

Hope she settles down and puts on some weight! :)

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Laurel Feather Cat elaborated on what I was thinking! :) My next thought was what Sadieladie1994 mentioned!

Hope she settles down and puts on some weight! :)
Thanks a lot i'll see If on wednesday i'll buy some locking crock bowls. For both Kiwi & Baylee! :)

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Have you tried locking crock types? She may want to be somewhere where she feels less vulnerable.
Just an UPDATE! bought Today a locking crock bowl of SS material :) Baylee has been much more calm in the cage yesterday night i heard her grinding her beak :) Only one was left! So i got one for Baylee. She is calmer! :laughing12: Today it took her 4 hours to eat her pellets when she used to take 10-15 min eating All her pellets!