• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to help with an aggressive bird

GreenGrinc

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
I have a blue fronted Amazon. I had him with an ex that i unfortunately had to leave behind 8 years ago. I had gotten the bird bad almost 2 years ago now. When i had him 8 years ago he was always on me. On my shoulder, played constantly with me. Would step up on my hand etc.
So its almost been 2 years now i have had him back. But he won't step up. He only lets me touch him when he is in his cage. He constantly attacks me for little to no reason. I need help as to what to do to give him the trust to not attack me

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
How old is this Amazon? For sure male? Able to touch without a bite is good. Do you allow any playtime for the bird to be outside of the cage?

I have very sweet boys, but they are the lesser of the hot Amazons in nature. As much as they are hands on, I still don't allow them on my shoulder, not a good practice with most Amazons.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How big is his cage? Where is his cage located? Have you tried target training with him to teach him to step up. And yes, as already said, no shoulders.

GreenGrinc

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
How old is this Amazon? For sure male? Able to touch without a bite is good. Do you allow any playtime for the bird to be outside of the cage?

I have very sweet boys, but they are the lesser of the hot Amazons in nature. As much as they are hands on, I still don't allow them on my shoulder, not a good practice with most Amazons.
Not sure if its a boy or not. He is 15 years old. Yes he comes out almost every day for 3 or 4 hrs. He was out last night for 2 hrs. Every thing was good. I was clipping my toes got 1 foot done then he didn't like it and got me really good. Latched on to my finger than the palm of my hand

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I write an article on aggression that might help you:

I agree with target training. Target training would give him a “positive “ way to interact with you - one that earns and pairs you with reinforcers like favourite treats.

What’s his diet like? Does he have access to boxes or small dark places? These may heighten hormonal states.

GreenGrinc

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
I write an article on aggression that might help you:

I agree with target training. Target training would give him a “positive “ way to interact with you - one that earns and pairs you with reinforcers like favourite treats.

What’s his diet like? Does he have access to boxes or small dark places? These may heighten hormonal states.
Yes he dose have access to boxes. He loves to chew them. His toys have cardboard as well

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yes he dose have access to boxes. He loves to chew them. His toys have cardboard as well
If the boxes are big enough to climb inside I would get rid of them for the moment and see if it helps. Boxes and access to other ‘nesting spaces’ like cupboards or drawers, under the sofa, etc can increase aggression.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sounds like he might have gotten overwhelmed by the clippers.

With aggressive birds, it's always a great idea to consider hands off training. This could be as simple as offering a favorite treat any time you walk by their cage (try to do so in such a way that they remain calm), to target training or even station training. Both target and station training can be performed while the bird is in the cage, which can reduce the chances of bites.

There are pattern games that have proven to be very beneficial for dogs, but I'm not aware of any that have transferred over to parrots. I imagine some could easily be performed for parrots as well... such as the 1-2-3 pattern game, where-in at 3, they receive a reward. If the bird knows the pattern game, you could potentially introduce something that triggers them (at a distance), but keep their focus on you and reward that desired behavior instead.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have a blue fronted Amazon. I had him with an ex that i unfortunately had to leave behind 8 years ago. I had gotten the bird bad almost 2 years ago now. When i had him 8 years ago he was always on me. On my shoulder, played constantly with me. Would step up on my hand etc.
So its almost been 2 years now i have had him back. But he won't step up. He only lets me touch him when he is in his cage. He constantly attacks me for little to no reason. I need help as to what to do to give him the trust to not attack me
Oh, he has a reason. He's been gone for 2 years? Slow down, work with him at his pace. Amazons are very emotional; he's probably feeling uprooted and missing his prior home. He has NO idea why or how he came to this current circumstance.

Reactions: tka

GreenGrinc

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
Oh, he has a reason. He's been gone for 2 years? Slow down, work with him at his pace. Amazons are very emotional; he's probably feeling uprooted and missing his prior home. He has NO idea why or how he came to this current circumstance.
He waa gone for 8 year. Have had him back for 2 now.
He was more attached to me in the prior situation.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I apologize for misreading your post. What does he do when you service his cage? Does he lunge and strike at the bowls/your hands? I know you said you can touch him in the cage; is that through the bars only? Is he flighted? Describe an attack. What out of cage time does he get and how does he get out? How often does he get a good, soaking bath? What are you feeding him? I might be able to help, but I need more info. I've had my Amazon 29 years; I've seen a lot.

GreenGrinc

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
I apologize for misreading your post. What does he do when you service his cage? Does he lunge and strike at the bowls/your hands? I know you said you can touch him in the cage; is that through the bars only? Is he flighted? Describe an attack. What out of cage time does he get and how does he get out? How often does he get a good, soaking bath? What are you feeding him? I might be able to help, but I need more info. I've had my Amazon 29 years; I've seen a lot.
When i service his cage he is i.

GreenGrinc

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
When i service his cage he is i.
So when i go to change is water he is in full attack mode. I can hardly wash the outside. He is very cage aggressive.
Yes the only time i can touch him is only threw the bars. He will be on his back playing with me. He will put his beak nicely on my finger he wont bite. Its like he is playing.
I try and let him out everyday for 2 -3 hrs. My work schedule in the summer he gets out for 2 hrs. I am off work now so sometimes I let him out for 6 hrs.
The last attack he was out for 2 hrs. I was clipping my toes and got the whole foot done besides the pinky and he came over and was on his perch. I could see him out of the corner of my eye. So i stopped cause o could tell he was mad. He went for my hand i waa trying to pry his beak off my finger so he got one hand really good and got my palm on the other hand.
I try and get him to bathe every couple weeks. Before ibwas able to get him in the shower with me but now i use a spray bottle or he has a toy that's a sink. He gets fresh veggies everyday with his pellet food with some seeds. Not much seeds thou

GreenGrinc

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
Sorry i am new to this. I did reply to my half done one to you so i hope you are able to read it.

GreenGrinc

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
when i go to change is water he is in full attack mode. I can hardly wash the outside. He is very cage aggressive.
Yes the only time i can touch him is only threw the bars. He will be on his back playing with me. He will put his beak nicely on my finger he wont bite. Its like he is playing.
I try and let him out everyday for 2 -3 hrs. My work schedule in the summer he gets out for 2 hrs. I am off work now so sometimes I let him out for 6 hrs.
The last attack he was out for 2 hrs. I was clipping my toes and got the whole foot done besides the pinky and he came over and was on his perch. I could see him out of the corner of my eye. So i stopped cause o could tell he was mad. He went for my hand i waa trying to pry his beak off my finger so he got one hand really good and got my palm on the other hand.
I try and get him to bathe every couple weeks. Before ibwas able to get him in the shower with me but now i use a spray bottle or he has a toy that's a sink. He gets fresh veggies everyday with his pellet food with some seeds. Not much seeds thou

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I doubt he's being hormonal this time of year. My double yellowhead is not hormonal right now. Of course, all birds are individuals. It's possible that something about the nail clipper or your actions set him off. Mature male BF Amazons can be volatile, aggressive. What does he do when he's out of the cage? Does he rock back and forth, flare his tail, pin his eyes, and mantle (half lift his wings, almost like a shrug)? Or does he mostly just hang out and play? If you walk by him, does he lunge at you or just ignore you? He doesn't attack you every time he's out of the cage, does he?

It sounds like the interactions in the cage are very positive. I would increase the bathing and soak him at least once a week. Amazons are originally from South America (Bolivia to Argentina); those countries average 4-7 feet of rainfall per year. How do you get him back in the cage?

GreenGrinc

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
I doubt he's being hormonal this time of year. My double yellowhead is not hormonal right now. Of course, all birds are individuals. It's possible that something about the nail clipper or your actions set him off. Mature male BF Amazons can be volatile, aggressive. What does he do when he's out of the cage? Does he rock back and forth, flare his tail, pin his eyes, and mantle (half lift his wings, almost like a shrug)? Or does he mostly just hang out and play? If you walk by him, does he lunge at you or just ignore you? He doesn't attack you every time he's out of the cage, does he?

It sounds like the interactions in the cage are very positive. I would increase the bathing and soak him at least once a week. Amazons are originally from South America (Bolivia to Argentina); those countries average 4-7 feet of rainfall per year. How do you get him back in the cage?
When he is out of his cage he just plays. I cant usually walk beside him when he is out of his cage. He will put is beak on the ground and half spread his wings and walk with his beak on the ground. I call it the scary bird. At first when i got him back(i actually do not know his sex) i couldnt really do anything without him attacking me. He puts himself back into his cage for bed time. If he attacks me he will put himself back into his cage most times. But when he is out he is usually good. He just naps in different spots or goes and chews his toys.
I will definitely give him a bath today. He is super loud when i am up. Not with anyone else in the house. He only attacks me and no one else as well.
Thank you for your advice I really need it.