• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get my YSGCC to play...

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
So.. I am trying to teach Zazu how to play with toys. I just got some millet.. and I have a foraging toy. (Pictured below). My though is to try to pack a few millets in there and see what Zazu will do. I already had two small clicker training sessions (just click, treat) and she enjoys the millets. Any other toys? Just ordered a cute bat foraging toy from one of the bird toy sites I'm excited for that... :bounce3:

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I am interested in this thread as well. Mine likes to perch on me and crawl up my arm on my shoulder but I feel like he's expecting me to play with him in some way. I put foraging toys near me but he doesn't care, I try dangling bell balls for him but nope. I end up just feeding him lol.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried playing with the toys and letting him watch?

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
It's been exactly two weeks today. Still isnt very playful. Though currently Zazu is chirping and bopping his head up and down. I find it adorable and am praising with "good boy" and giving attention. Of course he decided to be cute and a little playful when I am suffering from a headache. He also loves his foraging bat which he is making slos progress in. :)

As for toys, he has hanging once in his cage, I dont have any foot toys yet.. come next week I'll go order some.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bring the toys to the couch and sit with him. Use your hands to "wrestle" with the toy; make it look fun!

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I'd also suggest playing with the toys yourself. From the beginning I've taken any new toy and said "Wheee" and pretended to knock it around with my nose. LOL. This works for my Rose Breasted Too. My Meyers is VERY food motivated and adores safflower seeds. For her I put a few safflower seeds on and around any new toy and at the very least that will get her checking it out immediately. She is VERY picky and barely plays with anything, but thank goodness I noticed that she was chewing popcicle sticks at the rescue before I took her home. So I make sure that any toy I make her has popcicle sticks on it and she'll usually check it out. Try things that are different hardness too. Even my bigger Rose-breasted Cockatoo does NOT like hard woods, like pine. Sigh. She loves soft, easy to shred materials like sola, balsa, mahogany pods, cork and yucca chips. Good luck and let us know how it's going!!