• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get an unwilling bird back in his cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angela_tiger_1999

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Angela
“Bird” our Tucumán Amazon is the sweetest bird except when it comes time to put him back in the cage for bed. I’ve tried putting a treat in his food bowl, he doesn’t even budge! I am using a perch to try and step him up on because he does get very agitated and gives us plenty of warnings that he is going to bite. Last night my husband was using the perch to try and step him up again and Bird was becoming more irritated by the moment so Mark felt it was best to put his work gloves on (don’t worry..they aren’t big scary gloves..just thin black ones) so with his gloves on he held the perch under birds chest and sure enough he bit the crap out of Mark thru the gloves. We have to figure out a way that’s going to be less stressful for all of us Bird included. But it’s the strangest thing he is soooo sweet any other time, willingly step’s up and never gets mad.

How do you guys get your unwilling birds back in their cages?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to use positive reinforcement training (clicker training http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkI9PvOsjS0 ) and probably a "T" perch (something like this: FINGER SAVER T-PERCH ). The T perch will protect you from being bitten, and then you can reward the bird when you get him back to the cage. Eventually, you may be able to just use a regular stick or dowel. But, that's up to you.

I use a cut-off closet dowel to get my large macaws back to their cages at bed time. I step them up, praise them to the skies, and give them a pistachio. :)

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
On "bad" days I use a perch to transport him back into his cage. I always put treats in his cage, sometimes different treats at the same time, like nutri-berries, grapes, avi-cakes, raisins, and on really bad days I pull out the big guns......a peanut in a shell.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
You need to use positive reinforcement training (clicker training YouTube - Building Trust With Your Bird ) and probably a "T" perch (something like this: FINGER SAVER T-PERCH ). The T perch will protect you from being bitten, and then you can reward the bird when you get him back to the cage. Eventually, you may be able to just use a regular stick or dowel. But, that's up to you.

I use a cut-off closet dowel to get my large macaws back to their cages at bed time. I step them up, praise them to the skies, and give them a pistachio. :)
Ok that is awesome! I've never seen that one before!

Christina71

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christina
I have that problem also, except that mine are not yet tame and don't know how to step up. The parents do go back without a lot of problems after I refill the food dishes and motion for them to go back, and sometimes the babies do but it seems like there is always one that refuses.

Angela_tiger_1999

Real Name
Angela
On "bad" days I use a perch to transport him back into his cage. I always put treats in his cage, sometimes different treats at the same time, like nutri-berries, grapes, avi-cakes, raisins, and on really bad days I pull out the big guns......a peanut in a shell.
I'm just having a hard time finding a treat that he is willing to work for. So far I have tried a peanut, almond, papaya, sunflower seed, apple, and grapes...He likes all of these alright but he can take them or leave them...the one and only thing he goes nuts for is the sauce off pizza but that's not always around. I will pick up some nutri-berries and try those tonight.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What other treats do your parrots love and will work for :confused:
The thing that always worked for my B&G macaw when I was starting out was cracker pieces (unsalted). She also loves small pieces of bread :) My RFM loves pine nuts. Oh, and pistachios.

Last edited:

Angela_tiger_1999

Real Name
Angela
The thing that always worked for my B&G macaw when I was starting out was cracker pieces (unsalted). She also loves small pieces of bread :) My RFM loves pine nuts.
I tried a cracker, even tried one with peanut butter on it...nothing..I will try bread too maybe that will work! He's sure not making it easy on me :rolleyes:

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Only bird I have that problem with from time to time is Indy and he is towel trained. I wrap him up in the towel and move him. Maybe you can towel train the amazon? Also try short stays in the cage during the day. Move him to it close the door for like five or ten minutes then get him out. Maybe that would help.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I tried a cracker, even tried one with peanut butter on it...nothing..I will try bread too maybe that will work! He's sure not making it easy on me :rolleyes:
LOL, sometimes it can take a while to establish the reward system.

Have you tried using the treat with lots of pleasant sounds/praise? Mine love positive drama! :)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Try bread peanut butter as treat mango wood kill for bread,,lol
i dont have your problem i just say come on bed time nite nite
and most times he goes to cage or if he dosent he has a toy
hands offf i reach in touch ti say come on its bed time and hes there, i also feed a hot meal at bed time try it might work

as your taking it to the cage say come on birds name
supper time,,lol or bed time

Angela_tiger_1999

Real Name
Angela
Nope, that is something for me to try as well...I always hand him the treat and try to be quite about it as to not scare him...I will try and be upbeat and give him lots of "good boy" "good bird"s :D

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
When it is time to go back in the cage, no matter what time of the day, I announce, "Bed Time" and get out the dowel and have them step up and put them in the cage. If one refuses the dowel, he has three tries and then I get out the net. Usually that is enough of a cue and the bird steps up on the handle of the net and goes into the cage. Once in a while someone becomes really stubborn and decides they are NOT going to bed. Then they get either toweled or netted and put into the cage. After the reinforcement of using the net or a towel, they are usually good little birdies for a at least a few weeks. Some of the birds have never needed to be netted again after they learned the rules. I have to use a dowel and/or the net because I am disabled and if they are above my head it is the only way I can reach them and enforce the rules. Of course everyone who either puts themselves to bed or steps up willingly gets a treat when they go into their cage.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Chiquita is doing the same thing lately. She will do everythinh no to go back to her cage, it's cage get quite anoying. I put treats in her treat dish but nope, it takes forever and she just started this, grrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.