• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to feed bird medicine

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
so my vet just gave me some liquid medication “baytril” to give to my conure 2x day for 2 weeks and so I’ve been giving it to her with a syringe and when I give it to her she accepts it but then swallow then shakes her a head a few times and drops go everywhere so I’m not sure if she’s actually getting as much as she’s supposed to. So when I give it to her is it okay to put it kinda down her throat so that it for sure goes in without her having to swallow? Or is that dangerous?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
N
so my vet just gave me some liquid medication “baytril” to give to my conure 2x day for 2 weeks and so I’ve been giving it to her with a syringe and when I give it to her she accepts it but then swallow then shakes her a head a few times and drops go everywhere so I’m not sure if she’s actually getting as much as she’s supposed to. So when I give it to her is it okay to put it kinda down her throat so that it for sure goes in without her having to swallow? Or is that dangerous?
That sounds dangerous. If she struggles her tissues could get perforated by the syringe. Plus she might aspirate it. My vet always specifies a high dose because she knows all of it won’t be ingested on my non cooperative birds. Run the situation by your vet for advice.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Also, I hold the beak closed until the bird swallows the meds. Make sure not to block the nares ( nostrils)

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
That sounds dangerous. If she struggles her tissues could get perforated by the syringe. Plus she might aspirate it. My vet always specifies a high dose because she knows all of it won’t be ingested on my non cooperative birds. Run the situation by your vet for advice.
Okay thank you!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've always added a little bit of medicine to something I KNOW my birds will eat. For Jingo it is baby food. So I give it to him on a spoon and let him eat it up. Definitely ask you vet for best practices!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will generally hold my bird for awhile after giving him/her meds and lightly keep the beak closed. Sometimes I've had to draw up a very small amount of baby apple juice after I've drawn up the medicine into the syringe. This way they are getting something that tastes yummy before they get the medication. Some vets will flavor the medication.
Do let your vet know that your conure is spitting out some of the medicine.
Why the Baytril? What is the diagnosis? Hope your conure will be better soon.

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
Why the Baytril? What is the diagnosis? Hope your conure will be better soon.
My vet did a swab test for my bird bcs other medication for sneezing didn’t work but he said that he can’t find out the exact name for my birds sickness but it’s usually comes from humans, like biting off a piece of food and giving it to the bird. Honestly I was really confused when talking to him over the phone.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps some type of gram negative bacteria.
If you are confused always good to call back and ask questions.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
It sounds like the vet would be talking about a bacterial infection.
Do you know what tests were done - blood, fecal?

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
I’m not sure all he said was swab test or something like that. I think it was fecal though

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You have get the syringe past the back of the tounge...I usually pull my meds and then pull an extra cc of water or unsweetened juice...it takes practice...did the vet show you how to it?

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
I have notes from my vet but the handwriting is impossible to read

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
You have get the syringe past the back of the tounge...I usually pull my meds and then pull an extra cc of water or unsweetened juice...it takes practice...did the vet show you how to it?
I thought putting the syringe at the back of the tongue isn’t safe. If I knew this it would’ve been way easier this whole time!

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
It is flavored so she does like it

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
It isn't safe if you don't know what you're doing. I prefer to hold the bird upright, secure the head and beak lightly and wait for them to swallow. Or put it in something they will eat willingly.

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
I found the other papers it’s says, aerobic culture.