• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to enjoy a flighted bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Originally Posted by lwis
You can try training her to poop in a designated area or when you say a cue...some people say that training them to poop on command may cause the bird to only go when you tell them, and that they could hold it too long, but I honestly don't think that would be a problem with most birds. Our bird is mostly trained to poop in a certain area or when we say "poop", but he is young and is still learning to "hold it". He rarely poops on us, and I would say, maybe %75 of the time he does it in a designated stand we when we say.
All we do is bring him to his "poop stand" and use a verbal cue about every ten minutes, until he learned that that is where he is suppose to poop. He can hold hold it for over half an hour now, Though we still bring him to his stand more frequently when we are just hanging out. He hasn't quite learned to go there on his own yet when he needs to go, but he has done this a few times, so we are hoping he catches on. He understands the verbal cue though; we have asked him to poop a couple of times when we thought he needed to go, and he squatted a few times and gave it a real good try before looking at us as if to say, I don't have to go!...it was quite funny. He still has accidents where we don't want him to, but it is not that frequent and the mess is not bad at all.
I would agree that flight is more important than clean furniture...I don't believe that we physically alter any other pet to save our furniture from poop. And there are definitely better ways to deal with it, it just takes a little effort in the beginning :)
Good luck with her!

Please read..:) Can't find John's original thread but it's somewhere on this forum.

Potty Training is dangerous

Okay, so I had written a long message in response to this, but I accidentally pressed a button that deleted it all and I do not feel like writing it all again.
Here is the gist of it:

"potty training" to me, is teaching both the bird and the owner. We learn to recognise the signs of when our bird has to go and place them somewhere appropriate, and our bird learns that there are certain places where we would like them to poop, and others where it might not be desireable.
Our potty training is not strict- only ask him to poop or put on stand when he is showing signs that he has to go. When he has to go, he has to go.

I am generalizing here, but I think there is more of a danger in some of the larger "smarter", more neurotic birds, than there is with, say, the smaller conures and such. Conures are also quite intelligent, but in my experience with them, these little guys will do what they want or need to do, when they want or need to do it no matter what training they have. There is obviously individual differences though.

All I am saying is that, I don't believe that absolutely all training, when it comes to going potty, has to be something dangerous that to be avoided entirely.

Jassa

Meeting neighbors
Chihirro is potty trained to NOT go on people.

She came to us with this mentality and we reinforced it. Everyone who handles her knows her 'I gotta poop!' signals. If they are ignored (very rarely), she flutters off and poops on the ground. I hate having her flutter onto the ground- this has only happened a handful of times on accident (us humans get distracted).

Everything else is fair game. She'll poop anywhere on anything as long as she is not on a human being.

ADDED:

I will definitely (repetitively) introduce her to windows and mirrors.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran

This. I wouldn't potty train any bird, in my opinion, the cons outweigh the pros.

In a situation where a clipped bird will soon be fully flighted and isn't aware of windows/mirrors/walls etc, I have heard people have taken their bird around the house and showed them where windows and mirrors especially are, so they become aware of them being there. But, having curtains closed and even covering mirrors can help avoid them crashing into them.
I've done that with all my birds, taken them around the house and held them up against all the mirrors and windows, and it's worked well for my flock. In my experience, they only need to be shown it's there once and they've got it.
Also, decal stickers on the windows help as well.

EmilyGrace

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Emily
I have tape X's on my windows to show that they are a solid surface. Ringo has never once flown into them.

Jassa

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone, again! :D

Sorry for not replying sooner- I've been busy!

Kathy N

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
roasted, with some garlic and paprika.

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
our three tiels fly at will...We do have old sheets over the couches but the rest of the furniture is fair game...We just roll with the punches and we use a lot of paper towels to clean up messes...a small price to pay to see them enjoying themselves so much.

Jassa

Meeting neighbors
Well, ChiChi didn't fly even though her wings had grown out.
She didn't show any interest in even trying either. None. Zip. Zero. Nada. I even had her double checked to make sure she was physically able to fly. She was fine- wings grown out and at a fit weight.

I tried encouraging her by doing some "wing flapping" exercises and trying to *gently* cast her from my finger- but not having been allowed to fledge seems to have closed out the part of her mind that tells her to fly. Even when she spooked occasionally, she didn't even flutter.

So I made the decision to have her wings clipped again- it would be a shame for her to decide to fly in ten years if the door was accidentally left open, or if the stove was hot, the toilet seat was up, etc. She doesn't seem unhappy and certainly isn't aware that she is missing out on anything. But I am not going to purchase my next bird from a pet store- and I am going to request that the breeder allow it to fledge; and hopefully never clip the wings while it is in their care. I want a flighted bird in the future.

I hope my experience encourages whoever reads this to allow their baby birds to FLEDGE and at least have the mental capability of flying before they make the decision to clip or not to clip.

:confused:

EmilyGrace

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Emily
I don't understand why you would clip if she didn't even try to fly.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don't understand why you would clip if she didn't even try to fly.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
Puzzled the heck out of me too.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How sad. Not even given the chance to learn or try. :(

Last edited:

Jassa

Meeting neighbors
For my convenience in the event if she decided to try and fly when the house was not prepared for it.

Sorry it doesn't please you; I'm just doing what I feel is safest and easiest for the both of us at this point.

:)

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
For my convenience in the event if she decided to try and fly when the house was not prepared for it.

Sorry it doesn't please you; I'm just doing what I feel is safest and easiest for the both of us at this point.

You should have capatalized MY. Seems some people don't understand what YOUR right is :rolleyes: If that's what you feel as though you need to do to keep YOUR bird safe, then that is YOUR choice. :)

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
clipping vs flighted is a long run debate among bird owners. theres no right or wrong, both have dangers--just different dangers. it is up to the owner themselves to choose what dangers are less of a risk in their own home, be it clipping or leaving flighted. so if it is safer for her in your own home environment, then clipping her is not a "wrong" choice. we arent in your shoes so we cannot tell you whether its right or wrong. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In my opinion (and that is all it is), clipping gives a false sense of security. All things that are dangers to flighted birds should be considered dangers for clipped birds. That way, clipped or flighted, you are prepared. When both of my guys were clipped (before I got them), we started immediately adjusting to life with flighted parrots, even when I was still on the fence. Now that Jingo can fly we already have the practices in place, and there are minimal risks to his safety. Jingo has become 3 times the bird he was when he was clipped, and I can't believe I ever thought that clipping was for HIS sake now. I can't wait till my little Koopa gem can fly too, she really, really wants to and I feel so bad that I can't grant her a wish that is part of her very nature.

A clipped bird can definitely get out, and the outcome is sad because they do not have the muscle strength nor control required to get home even if they want to. :(

It is of course your decision, just wanted to get my 2 cents out there.

Jassa

Meeting neighbors
It's a shame- but safety is #1 and the thought of her getting hurt or flying out the door is just terrifying to me.

Of course, that would be a management issue, but accidents do happen!

I feel that clipping is what's best for now. Maybe we'll try again in the future; maybe we won't.
I am so happy to have gotten great advice from so many kind people here on flighted vs. clipped. Definitely a lot of interesting facts and opinions.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
It's a shame- but safety is #1 and the thought of her getting hurt or flying out the door is just terrifying to me.

Of course, that would be a management issue, but accidents do happen!

I feel that clipping is what's best for now. Maybe we'll try again in the future; maybe we won't.
I am so happy to have gotten great advice from so many kind people here on flighted vs. clipped. Definitely a lot of interesting facts and opinions.

Clipping is a very controversial subject in the avian community. Some people are adamant about it and don't always respect others opinions. Me personally, all my birds are flighted. I believe it is great for their health - mentally and physically. If I was in a situation where I had to keep them clipped, then yes, most certainly I would. I have a bird room that allows them to live cage free and also fly around and live in a flock instead of individually in a cage. I believe birds should live in flocks. Do I discourage or down someone that disagrees or has a single bird or who keeps their bird caged? Absolutely NOT. I don't know their circumstances and could never put someone down for it.

What I can tell you is this....just because your bird is clipped and has never flown doesn't mean it won't happen. I have been in the situation where my African Grey was clipped and the door was left open and he took off...CLIPPED. not once but 2 times...both times were my fault. It was a false sense of security knowing he didn't have his wings. Fooled me! Always be alert to an open door. I tend to have a radar when it comes to my doors :)

Jassa

Meeting neighbors
That is what I have been hearing!

I have heard of many clipped birds here escaping- yikes!
Will always be doing my absolute best to keep things safe for my girl...

EmilyGrace

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Emily
I have two green cheeks. One is flighted, one isn't. The one who isn't flighted, his last owner got him from PetSmart, so it's very likely he never fledged. It's very sad for me to watch Charlie sit on his cage begging me to come pick him up while Ringo happily flies around and entertains himself. Their personalities are so different. While Ringo is bold and playful, Charlie is more timid and dependent. While I understand that they are individuals so personality differences are expected, I believe a big reason for the differences are because Charlie's never been able to fly, so he's been forced to be more dependent on his owner. Their bodies are even different. Ringo is a solid mass of muscle, Charlie's not. I'm eagerly awaiting molting season so Charlie can get some new flights, learn to fly, and blossom into the bird he should be. I just can't understand how someone would just clip without even trying to let a bird stay flighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.