• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to discourage bad behavior?

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Clean the cage when he is away from it? Give a toy to play with while you clean?
When I start to clean the cage when Edgar is away, he flies to me and looks at me with this expression that really tells me: "one more second of this cleaning and I'm biting your head of". I'm really weary of him during this time. He become quite teritorial about his cage.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he's telling you that by pysical body language, then it's best to try to get him away & pre-occupied 1st so hopefully he will not attack. I don't want to make you afraid of your floof. There are quite a few of us that have been bitten or attacked because our birdys have had a switched flipped in their heads. My guy Buddy, flew off my husband & attacked my hand while I was cleaning his travel cage. He wasn't attacking me but the spray bottle I was using. My thumb happened to be in between his beak & the spray head. I was sliced, bruised but not in need of stitches. My mistake, because I did it in the same room w/ him. Take precautions like do it behind a closed door or put floof around a corner w/ his favorite toy on a stand or in a travel cage. Likelihood of damage to you is decresased by @ minimum 50% especially if his flying to you alerts you to duck or back away.

:hug8:Rain

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco and I have reached our one year mark. I can't explain it. He has now just accepted me. He lets me change his water bowl, (a locked one further back in his cage) I spent the entire year being patient, talking to him and setting boundaries. When I lean in to clean his cage and he is on top of if, I raise myself up and say, "no bite". Trust me, getting slammed on top of the head by a parrot is not fun. He also hates it when I close the curtain behind his cage. I just stand up straight and tell him, "NO" I have learned he is not stupid. I do the same routine over and over. Paco cannot fly, sadley he does not know how to. I have just stuck to the same habits every day and will not let him bully me. I hope this helps. I had many moments when I was ready to throw in the towel, don't give up.