• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to attach a Manu block?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sorry for all the questions today!

I picked up this little Manu block today and just noticed it doesn't have any hardware to attach it to the cage with.

It has a twist tie in the back that's somehow been made into the block itself. This seems dangerous to me?

Maybe if I kept Blu in a cage and tied it from the outside of the cage I could use it but since he has free reign I'm not sure how I can attach this safely?

This is the back of it

20170317_183016.jpg

I'm guessing twist ties have dangerous metal in them? I should probably just toss it, huh?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would tie it on and then cover in vet tape or something if you're worried. Or maybe contact the company and ask what type if metal is inside?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Huh, mine have hardware. ????

You could use the ties and watch it to make sure he is not getting close to the wire or drill the block and attach hardware.
Yeah they sure cheaped out, didn't they.
I will probably just toss it cause Blu loves messing with stuff like that and I don't see myself making a makeshift hardware attachment. It only costed $3.50. Sucks though.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
The first one I bought years ago looked like that too-- just a twist tie in the back. I just sandwiched it between perches or platform perches so that nobirdy has the ability to get to it.

Susan and Oliver

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Perhaps you could use a drill on low speed from the outside to loosen and then pull out the twist tie (who knows what metal they're made from) and hang with a safe rope. Personally, if the attachment is made of questionable materials I would hesitate to give a product that is mixed and put together for sale at such a low price. If they "cheap out" on attachment...

Something to think about :think1:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The first one I bought years ago looked like that too-- just a twist tie in the back. I just sandwiched it between perches or platform perches so that nobirdy has the ability to get to it.
Thank you!
Perhaps you could use a drill on low speed from the outside to loosen and then pull out the twist tie (who knows what metal they're made from) and hang with a safe rope. Personally, if the attachment is made of questionable materials I would hesitate to give a product that is mixed and put together for sale at such a low price. If they "cheap out" on attachment...

Something to think about :think1:
Rope is good idea but I agree that it's pretty questionable that they are selling something that's supposed to be good and safe for parrots but cheaping out with who knows what kind of metal. It makes me want to just toss it.

I appreciate all the responses.
Thanks everyone!

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
It's the size.... the larger one comes with hardware
I got both sizes since I have my zon and conure
I think the small size can't hold up to anything else.

Tweeky

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kathleen
I've been using them for years and have had no problems.