• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How tightly does your parrot grip your finger when perching on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Peter
Hi everyone,

Pickles seems to not be gripping as tight while perching on my finger or the stand as before, is it normal for your bird not to grip tightly on your finger while perching? (She seems always want to be on the go, lol).

She just had a nail trim last Wednesday and seems to be losing the grip a little bit as well causing her to be a little bit clumsy, should I be concerned? (Edit: She doesn't have any issues with balance as far as I can tell and she hasn't fallen off the perch).

thanks!

Peter

Last edited:

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
Her nails might be a little sore from the clipping, if you noticed the change immediately after the clipping. Or, she could feel more secure now that her nails are the right length and not need to grasp so hard. In general, Coco has a firm grip, confident grip. If she becomes tense or anxious, her grip will tighten; if she would like to step down, her grip will loosen. My smaller birds have a much gentler grip.

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Harley and Amos have very loose grips when hey are perching on me\
Gryphon, who is always a little nervous with me, has a tighter grip

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
They all have a pretty loose grip unless they are unsteady and then they tighten it. :)

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Yep, it shouldn't really hurt, if so they need a file down. Like posted above, they also grip tightly when scared or you are moving. Sometimes it doesn't hurt as much if you have them sitting on your hand vs. your arm, and you have more control and are more steady there too.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Aly has always had a very tight grib, just because she thinks she is the boss, well I guess she is the boss, lol. Chiquita and Boomer not very tight unless Im moving them.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
It depends on which bird and what comfort level they are at. In general, Monty has a loose grip. Cupcake will grip harder when nervous or upset. Skittles has little to no grip, Paris is very confident...good fliers, also. I imagine either her nails are sore or she has a better grip without them in the way.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Bubby has a pretty tight grip, it feels like he weighs my hand down at times! The others don’t really grip hard, unless moving around or something startles them.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Also depends on the bird here (actually, seems to depend more on the species). My cockatiels don't grip at all - they just sit on my hand with their toes flat. The linnies hang on more tightly - they're great climbers and have a very strong grip in general.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nala has a very tight grip,but Simba's is much looser and he will climb all over me. Nala tends to be unsure,and there for grips me in a death grip.

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
Ponyo grips a bit tighter sometimes after a nail trim. I believe this is normal for any animal that relies on perch or climbing...they have to get used to it being trimmed and not as sharp or long. In other situations, Ponyo usually grips tight when I am moving or she is scared, but mostly she just loosely sits there.

Status
Not open for further replies.