• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How the past can scar us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
So yesterday Morgan was acting just a little off. She didn't want to sleep in bed with me and didn't wake up when I got ready for work. So I opened up a can of cat food and she came with the rest, took a few licks and wandered off. My mind immediately snapped into over drive. Had I seen her eat yesterday? Had she been acting off recently? Had she done this before with wet cat food? My immediate response to her seeming disinterested in food literally made me feel a wave of panic. I spent all night fretting over it and this morning i pestered her and examined her and she seemed annoyed. I tried giving her food by placing the plate in front of her..no go. So here I am nearly in tears because all I can think of is Captain and how he went and the moment i knew he was sick when he turned his nose up at treats. When she yawns, stretches and wanders over for a bite to eat, a drink of water, cleaned herself and then rolled around in the catnip.

This isn't the first time this has happened. For the last three months I've been paranoid and analyzing them when they eat, how much they eat, and any deviation seems to make me start to mildly panic. I think eventually it'll go away, but I think I'll never not feel a rush of fear when one of my cats turns their nose up at a bit of food. I just realized just how much the past can scar us and now I feel a bit silly at all my panicking. Morgan has never been the hog Captain was or even Mogwai. She's my little lady. Mogwai and captain were the trouble makers since the moment I picked up a treat bag they'd barrel over and Morgan would just wait and see if she'd get her own set aside. :rolleyes: She probably just spent the night upset since the last few days I've been tossing and turning and my feet aren't a nice sleeping spot. Just thought I'd share now that i heaved a huge sigh of relief.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I worry when my cat has off day too, but everybody has them. I guess the trick is to look for a pattern in behavior, although cats can be sly about it, yes? Slight differences in eating do not matter with cats. Maybe birds, too, but I'd be far less worried for a cat. Cats are so finicky. One moment a food is good and the next, ugh. Morgan is fine.:)

QP4CAG

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
I haven't had to experience what your going through, but knowing my personality (which is FAN freakin TASTIC):D i would be the same way. I OVER worry sometimes over the smallest things and thats W/OUT losing a pet, so what your going through, is normal behavior. Of course your going to be worried over them, and probably over nothing, but thats the momma in you:hug8:

P.s. I still won't let you have Jax......have a nice day:D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh yes, your warning flags go up quicker now. They will calm down eventually and you will replace the panic with observation. :hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Hyper vigilence is normal after your loss. The experience and the emotional scar are so raw and new. I fully understand why you feel panicked at any change in behavior. You are only human, you know.

So be kind to yourself about this issue, Kiersten. You really have no control over it and it is a normal function of what you just went through with Captain. I have been hyper about my cats as well for the past two years since my Pyewacket was found dead on the floor of the office. I knew he had cardiomyopathy, but the vet said he should be fine for the next five or six years...

Sending extra fluffy warm fuzzies to you and asking you to be kinder to yourself. The hyper vigilance fades slowly; really.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
:hug8:I'm sorry, Kristen. I'm hyper-vigilant with my cats as well. Having lost my precious childhood cat last year, and currently having one chronically ill senior cat as well as a young cat with FIV, and having done SO much research into feline ailments over the last decade, well... they know us VERY well at the vet!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.