• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much time does it take for a cockatiel to lay an egg she’s carrying?

Stormacky

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Monica
Hi everyone!

I have seen this site way too many times but I felt the need to create an account today due to my concerns regarding my cockatiel.

We have been at the vet twice in the last days. I originally took her to the vet because she looked sad and I was worried. He made a test on her poops and it turned out she had some bacterian infection due to tap water consumption. The vet recommended purified water and some activated charcoal.

After the visit, I realized my cockatiel had laid an egg. She has no partner so it is an infertile egg. This happened on 01/06. Of course, I made sure to give her a big calcium source (cuttlefish bone).
I took her to vet once again on 01/13 because I read some stuff about how many eggs they lay and she hadn’t laid any more eggs after a week so I was worried that she might have a “stuck egg” (she doesn’t look sick or sad anymore, though).

The vet told me she does have one and she should be laying that egg by today’s night at latest; however, it doesn’t seem she is ready to do so.

If needed, the vet recommended me to take her in again on 01/15 so he could remove it. He also suggested we could try an implant so she stops laying eggs indefinitely (the implant can be effective for 3 to 9 months).

For now I’d like to know how much time it takes to cockatiels to lay an egg they “already produced”. I am not really familiar with “scientific” terms so let me know if I am not explaining myself very well!

Thank you in advance!!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! It is usually approximately every other day for laying eggs, but it is not a hard and fast rule. I believe that the injection would be either Depo Provera or lupron. There are dozens of threads in this forum about this. I would suggest that you skim through this section: Egg Layers Expressway .