• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how much hands on time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
I've only been a 'too mom since january of this year. I have had several people tell me that 'too's just need more hands on than most other parrots. I was wondering if ya'll spend alot of physical contact time with your 'toos, relatively speaking. For example, i often have Caleb on my knee preening or playing with a shredable toy as i surf the net in the mornings. sometimes he sits with me for over an hour at a time. tho its not 'cuddletime' it is more direct contact than my macaw. Who needs to have a few mins each morning as i'm making breakfast: he rides my shoulder and 'helps'. and then each evening he MUST have at least 15 mins of direct cuddle time. other than that, he occasionally wants to sit with me but more often than not wants to just talk together, make noises together, or play a low contact game. On the other hand, caleb definitely seems to NEED to have that direct contact for an average of (guessing) 2 or 3 (or more if i'm off work that day) hours per day. On the 'cleaning days' he is fine playing on his own on top of his cage in sight of me. But if i'm just sitting here, he wants to sit with me.
So how much HANDS on time do you think your 'too NEEDS.

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
I've only been a 'too mom since january of this year. I have had several people tell me that 'too's just need more hands on than most other parrots. I was wondering if ya'll spend alot of physical contact time with your 'toos, relatively speaking. For example, i often have Caleb on my knee preening or playing with a shredable toy as i surf the net in the mornings. sometimes he sits with me for over an hour at a time. tho its not 'cuddletime' it is more direct contact than my macaw. Who needs to have a few mins each morning as i'm making breakfast: he rides my shoulder and 'helps'. and then each evening he MUST have at least 15 mins of direct cuddle time. other than that, he occasionally wants to sit with me but more often than not wants to just talk together, make noises together, or play a low contact game. On the other hand, caleb definitely seems to NEED to have that direct contact for an average of (guessing) 2 or 3 (or more if i'm off work that day) hours per day. On the 'cleaning days' he is fine playing on his own on top of his cage in sight of me. But if i'm just sitting here, he wants to sit with me.
So how much HANDS on time do you think your 'too NEEDS.
My too is demnding she dont like being alone she all ways needs my attention and I try to give her as much attention as I can....I rescue all types of animals so each animal in my home gets at least an hour of quality time...but sierra needs more or she will start chewing on my stuff...so I spend most my day talking to her and telling her shes a good girl and that I love her

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I think it all depends on the bird and how you condition them. My D2 would be attached to my hip, 24/7 if I let him but that's definitely never going to happen. My RB2 is happy if he can be with us and happy if he isn't with us, he's just a happy bird in general, 24/7. I definitely think that the best thing you can do for a Cockatoo is teach them to play independently and teach them to live within the bounds of a scheduless life, that way when your life gets away from you and you can't give them that "hour a day" they aren't prone to flipping out because of it. Our schedules vary greatly from day to day and I hate to admit it but there are days when the birds don't get out of their cages. They are great with going with the flow...even Reggie D2.

Status
Not open for further replies.