• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How Much Does A True Albino 'Tiel Like Mine Cost Does Anyone Know?

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
How Much?
I'm not thinking of selling my bird no way not ever but i'm just wondering if the pet store sold it to me for cheap or did they charge me extra??
i paid 150 bucks for Max

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't think they're much more than any other color really.
Not at the store I go anyway

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Same amount or less than the other colors last time I had cockatiels/small birds. Most people I have purchased birds from in the past would sell the albino birds for less money because most people were hesitant to buy them......too worried they will need specialized care because of the albinism. I have owned a fair few albino budgies over the years as I knew no one wanted them.

Why does it matter? You paid $150 and probably paid for the best friend you will ever have :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Why does it matter? You paid $150 and probably paid for the best friend you will ever have :)
When it's come to animals I never discuss the prize or bargain. If you ask me what I paid for my girls I reply, money.
I feel ashamed that I bought them for money, because you normally don't buy love or family members.
To discuss money and birds is like accepting that they are just a thing you can buy for money. And with knowing how sensitive they are I feel sad for them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
When it's come to animals I never discuss the prize or bargain. If you ask me what I paid for my girls I reply, money.
I feel ashamed that I bought them for money, because you normally don't buy love or family members.
To discuss money and birds is like accepting that they are just a thing you can buy for money. And with knowing how sensitive they are I feel sad for them.

When people ask how much I paid for Burt my answer is usually something along the lines of:- no where near as much as he pays me back in love and happiness. Then I change the subject. People do seem to be very hung up on the amount the bird may be worth (to someone). To me Burt is worth more than all the money in the world could have paid for.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Same. I've had two vets ask how much I paid for Java and I just told them that it's on a need-to-know basis. I wouldn't say I lucked out since he was discounted for being 'crippled and impossible to handle safely', but I would've paid any dollar amount to get him out of that situation. He's priceless.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
People do seem to be very hung up on the amount the bird may be worth (to someone).
Yes. When I refuse to tell they say, but they are really expensive, aren't they? and I answer no not if you consider how old they get. ::smuggrin:
To me Burt is worth more than all the money in the world could have paid for.
♡ ♡ ♡
But why don't you post more pics then?
:p:D Sorry! :shy:

but I would've paid any dollar amount to get him out of that situation.
I also do the same. :)
For several years ago I paid a lot of money for a horse that the vet said had 50% chance to survive. She was skin and bones and all I could think of was to get her out of that bad situation.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
There actually aren't albino tiels. If they have red eyes, they are white faced lutinos. If they have dark eyes, it's a clear white faced pied. :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I guess I can understand people being curious about the initial cost of birds... but it surely seems
like a mercenary question, doesn't it? Having said that, I try to think of it as maybe they are interested
in adopting one day, and are curious if they have enough money, or something ha! (me and my 'benefit of the doubt' thing so it doesn't drive me crazy.)

You know how most people, when they think of dying and an afterlife, etc. think of seeing the *people* in the afterlife who have gone before them? I was thinking the other day that if someone told me I could see all my previous pets (including Ferg and Fi), I'd be SO thrilled to go! Imagine how many pets all of us animal lovers here could look forward to seeing if we lived a full, long life! (I'd add all the ones that I rescued and fostered too to the mix), some of the foster dogs and kitties I might not recognize after they were grown, but I'd sure have fun trying! Ahhhh, Rainbow Bridge, you must be the height of beauty and happiness. :heart::sunflower::blkcat::dog2::fish::dog5::tiel::sadhug::grouphug:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The only tiel I purchased from a pet shop was a normal yellow face gray in early 2008. He wasn't considered "fancy" so his price at that time was US$189 + tax. Half the time though, the bigger stores don't know a fancy bird from their elbow. I've seen a regular gcc for sale at a higher price than the pineapple gcc next to him; I decided that, since this particular store manager was/is an absolute arse opening, I didn't need to tell them that I thought their pricing was arse backwards.

This particular store, one of the big pet store brand names, only sells gccs and budgies. The gccs go for anywhere from US$449.99-499.99 unless they're trying to get rid of them and then the price will drop down to $299.99. The poor budgies are very cheap and sell much more than the gccs do. I didn't get my tiel from this store BTW.

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
According to Wikipedia
The relation with "albino" cockatielEdit
The "albino cockatiel" is not a true albino, it is a combination of a "white-faced cockatiel" and a "Lutino cockatiel". The "Whiteface gene" removes all the yellow and orange that would be present in a Lutino. and the "Lutino gene" removes all the black and grey. The result is an all white cockatiel with red eyes.
Blanca is pure white with dark eyes, not red, so she's a clear white faced pied.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
When people ask how much I paid for Burt my answer is usually something along the lines of:- no where near as much as he pays me back in love and happiness. Then I change the subject. People do seem to be very hung up on the amount the bird may be worth (to someone). To me Burt is worth more than all the money in the world could have paid for.
I guess I'm handling questions like that a little differently! If people are rude enough to ask what I shelled out for my babies I generally reply with something outrageous... "Sergei is a gray eclectus, very rare. But I was lucky and got him for only $15,500.00!!!!!" . I love the looks on their faces! Serves them right for being so nosy! Lol

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I guess I'm handling questions like that a little differently! If people are rude enough to ask what I shelled out for my babies I generally reply with something outrageous... "Sergei is a gray eclectus, very rare. But I was lucky and got him for only $15,500.00!!!!!" . I love the looks on their faces! Serves them right for being so nosy! Lol
:rofl: too funny.

How Much?
I'm not thinking of selling my bird no way not ever but i'm just wondering if the pet store sold it to me for cheap or did they charge me extra??
i paid 150 bucks for Max
Tiels in our local pet store run about $150 also. I always have to stop and say hi to all the birds when picking up our dog and cat food.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
When I got Sunny she was $150 , she is a lutino . We also purchased the Male ( we sadly lost him) he was a normal grey he was also $150. The male I have now Charile I purchased from a trusted breeder for $75 he’s a normal grey.